Defrag removes restore points

Steven Hill

Defrag removes restore points
Hi,

I have just had to reformat and re-install Vista Home Premium defragmenting
the drive removes all restore points anyone know how to fix this. I also
tried Diskeeper same result.

Thanks

Steve

Paul Montgomery

Re: Defrag removes restore points
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 15:55:16 +0100, "Steven Hill"
<notwisettogive@ok.com> wrote:

>I have just had to reformat and re-install Vista Home Premium defragmenting
>the drive removes all restore points anyone know how to fix this. I also
>tried Diskeeper same result.

Don't perform the boot defrag (the one that runs before Windows
loads). I ran that either with Diskeeper or another program once and
lost all my restore points.
Steven Hill

Re: Defrag removes restore points
Thanks for the response Paul,
I ran defrag from within Vista this has me puzzled. I have googled and for
the most part this happens with duel boot or as you say through boot defrag
neither of which applies :-(

"Paul Montgomery" <i.m.nonnymous@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 15:55:16 +0100, "Steven Hill"
> <notwisettogive@ok.com> wrote:
>
>>I have just had to reformat and re-install Vista Home Premium
>>defragmenting
>>the drive removes all restore points anyone know how to fix this. I also
>>tried Diskeeper same result.

> Don't perform the boot defrag (the one that runs before Windows
> loads). I ran that either with Diskeeper or another program once and
> lost all my restore points.

Paul Montgomery

Re: Defrag removes restore points
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:40:01 +0100, "Steven Hill"
<notwisettogive@ok.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the response Paul,
>I ran defrag from within Vista this has me puzzled. I have googled and for
>the most part this happens with duel boot or as you say through boot defrag
>neither of which applies :-(

Do you have it set to use "VSS defragmentation method"? It should be
set to do that.

>"Paul Montgomery" <i.m.nonnymous@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
>news:drvpd4l7btkh68k0h2ga0q00mnbtn3gkdu@4ax.com.. .
>> On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 15:55:16 +0100, "Steven Hill"
>> <notwisettogive@ok.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have just had to reformat and re-install Vista Home Premium
>>>defragmenting
>>>the drive removes all restore points anyone know how to fix this. I also
>>>tried Diskeeper same result.

>> Don't perform the boot defrag (the one that runs before Windows
>> loads). I ran that either with Diskeeper or another program once and
>> lost all my restore points.

Steven Hill

Re: Defrag removes restore points
Thanks again I uninstalled Diskeeper I'll put it back on and check in the
morning :-)

> On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:40:01 +0100, "Steven Hill"
> <notwisettogive@ok.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the response Paul,
>>I ran defrag from within Vista this has me puzzled. I have googled and for
>>the most part this happens with duel boot or as you say through boot
>>defrag
>>neither of which applies :-(

> Do you have it set to use "VSS defragmentation method"? It should be
> set to do that.
>

>>"Paul Montgomery" <i.m.nonnymous@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
>>news:drvpd4l7btkh68k0h2ga0q00mnbtn3gkdu@4ax.com. ..

>>> Don't perform the boot defrag (the one that runs before Windows
>>> loads). I ran that either with Diskeeper or another program once and
>>> lost all my restore points.

MilesAhead

Re: Defrag removes restore points

2 good free defraggers are Auslogics and jkDefrag.

There's a nice GUI so that you don't need to know the
jkDefrag options: 'jkDefragGUI' (http://jkdefrag.8qm.de/english.php)

I haven't seen either remove my restore points.
Are you multi-booting with XP by any chance?

--
MilesAhead

"How come we don't know the I.Q. of the guy who invented the test?"
Paul Montgomery

Re: Defrag removes restore points
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:45:39 -0500, MilesAhead
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>2 good free defraggers are Auslogics and jkDefrag.

Agreed, but of the two, I liked Auslogics better. In fact, that's
what I use on my notebook which doesn't get nearly as much use as this
machine does.

On this machine I have 4 internal drives and 2 external... jkDefrag
wanted to do them all unless I used the command line options. Too
much trouble.

I tried the trial version of Diskeeper for the full trial period, and
got sucked in by the experience so I bought it ;-)
DiskeeperRep

Steven Hill;846158 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just had to reformat and re-install Vista Home Premium
> defragmenting
> the drive removes all restore points anyone know how to fix this. I
> also
> tried Diskeeper same result.
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve

Hi Steve,
What version of Diskeeper are you using?

If it is the 2008 version, are you using the VSS compatible defrag
option (which is recommended) for the volume on which VSS is active?
That should minimize (may not altogether eliminate) the loss of restore
points.

This is a known issue regarding the defragmentation of Vista, WHS and
Server 2003 in the presence of VSS, when the volume has been formatted
with a cluster size less than 16kB.

Please see these links for more information.
'The Diskeeper Blog: DK'08 Feature Spotlight - VSS Compatibility Mode'
(http://www.diskeeperblog.com/archive...eature_sp.html)
'Shadow copies may be lost when you defragment a volume'
(http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;312067)

Best regards
------------------------------------
Representative
Diskeeper Corporation

--
DiskeeperRep
Steven Hill

Re: Defrag removes restore points
Hi, Thanks for the reply I am running Diskeeper 2007 Home edition I am
reluctant to button the 2008 version on the off chance that it might not
delete the restore points. I didn't notice this happening before I did a
fresh install of Vista Home though I might just have missed it.