Wise Registry Cleaner vs AusLogics Registry Defrag vs CCLeaner?

Coderedpl

Wise Registry Cleaner vs AusLogics Registry Defrag vs CCLeaner?

Hello there,

I've been looking around for a registry defragment tool/cleaner tool
for windows vista to keep my laptop and desktop in top shape.

Both are running Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Edition.
Both have at 4gb of ram (laptop has additional 1gig intel turbo flash
cache for ready boost)

I saw
Wise Registry Cleaner
AusLogics Registry Defrag
CCLeaner

What else is there?
What's the most effective?

--
Coderedpl
Paul Montgomery

Re: Wise Registry Cleaner vs AusLogics Registry Defrag vs CCLeaner?

http://tinyurl.com/4kw5cx

>Both are running Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Edition.
>Both have at 4gb of ram (laptop has additional 1gig intel turbo flash
>cache for ready boost)
>
>I saw
>Wise Registry Cleaner
>AusLogics Registry Defrag
>CCLeaner
>
>What else is there?
>What's the most effective?

John Barnett MVP

Re: Wise Registry Cleaner vs AusLogics Registry Defrag vs CCLeaner?
if you are not confident enough to edit the registry manually, then leave
well alone. Registry cleaners are not going to help and are more likely to
cause problems than solve them. Personally I use CCleaner 'but' I only use
the 'cleaner' section, I don't use the 'registry' cleaner.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

"Coderedpl" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello there,
>
> I've been looking around for a registry defragment tool/cleaner tool
> for windows vista to keep my laptop and desktop in top shape.
>
> Both are running Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Edition.
> Both have at 4gb of ram (laptop has additional 1gig intel turbo flash
> cache for ready boost)
>
> I saw
> Wise Registry Cleaner
> AusLogics Registry Defrag
> CCLeaner
>
> What else is there?
> What's the most effective?
>

> --
> Coderedpl

Coderedpl

Re: Wise Registry Cleaner vs AusLogics Registry Defrag vs CCLeaner?

Well I wouldn't say I'm not confident in doing it myself, but it would
definitely make my life easier.

--
Coderedpl
Paul Montgomery

Re: Wise Registry Cleaner vs AusLogics Registry Defrag vs CCLeaner?
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:10:23 -0500, Coderedpl
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>Well I wouldn't say I'm not confident in doing it myself, but it would
>definitely make my life easier.

To do what? Remove "orphaned" entries??

What will that do? How will it benefit your system?
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Wise Registry Cleaner vs AusLogics Registry Defrag vs CCLeaner?
"Coderedpl" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello there,
>
> I've been looking around for a registry defragment tool/cleaner tool
> for windows vista to keep my laptop and desktop in top shape.
>
> Both are running Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Edition.
> Both have at 4gb of ram (laptop has additional 1gig intel turbo flash
> cache for ready boost)
>
> I saw
> Wise Registry Cleaner
> AusLogics Registry Defrag
> CCLeaner
>
> What else is there?
> What's the most effective?
>

> --
> Coderedpl

Think your Registry needs "cleaning"? Read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Kayman

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:10:23 -0500, Coderedpl wrote:

> Well I wouldn't say I'm not confident in doing it myself, but it would
> definitely make my life easier.

Why I don˘t use registry cleaners!
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html
Bruce Chambers

Coderedpl wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I've been looking around for a registry defragment tool/cleaner tool
> for windows vista to keep my laptop and desktop in top shape.

If you seriously want to keep your computers in "top shape," you don't
ever want to use *ANY* registry cleaner on them. Period.

A registry cleaner - even a safe one, should such ever be developed
- is an exercise in, at best, futility. There is no real need for
registry cleaners, other than to provide a profit to their
manufacturers. On rare occasions, registry cleaners can be, in the
hands of a skilled technician, useful, time-saving diagnostic tools.
Otherwise, they're nothing but snake oil.

Why do you even think you'd ever need to clean your registry? What
specific *problems* are you actually experiencing (not some program's
bogus listing of imaginary problems) that you think can be fixed by
using a registry cleaner?

If you do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would
be far better to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the
specific key(s) and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. After
all, why use a chainsaw when a scalpel will do the job? Additionally,
the manually changing of one or two registry entries is far less likely
to have the dire consequences of allowing an automated product to make
multiple changes simultaneously. The only thing needed to safely clean
your registry is knowledge and Regedit.exe.

The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
each and every change.

Having repeatedly seen the results of inexperienced people using
automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
of the inexperienced user. If you lack the knowledge and experience to
maintain your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
no matter how safe they claim to be.

More importantly, no one has ever demonstrated that the use of an
automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained, inexperienced
computer user, does any real good, whatsoever. There's certainly been
no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
or stability. Given the potential for harm, it's just not worth the risk.

Granted, most registry "cleaners" won't cause problems each and
every time they're used, but the potential for harm is always there.
And, since no registry "cleaner" has ever been demonstrated to do any
good (think of them like treating the flu with chicken soup - there's no
real medicinal value, but it sometimes provides a warming placebo
effect), I always tell people that the risks far out-weigh the
non-existent benefits.

I will concede that a good registry *scanning* tool, in the hands
of an experienced and knowledgeable technician or hobbyist can be a
useful time-saving diagnostic tool, as long as it's not allowed to make
any changes automatically. But I really don't think that there are any
registry cleaners that are truly safe for the general public to use.
Experience has proven just the opposite: such tools simply are not safe
in the hands of the inexperienced user.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Wise Registry Cleaner vs AusLogics Registry Defrag vs CCLeaner?
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:21:03 -0500, Coderedpl
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I've been looking around for a registry defragment tool/cleaner tool
> for windows vista to keep my laptop and desktop in top shape.

Defragmenting is fine, but registry cleaning programs are *all* snake
oil. Cleaning of the registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the
registry alone and don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many
people think, and what vendors of registry cleaning software try to
convince you of, having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt
you.

The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
it may have.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
John Barnett MVP

Re: Wise Registry Cleaner vs AusLogics Registry Defrag vs CCLeaner?
Defragmenting the Registry is worth doing. As for registry cleaner's they
are, to be honest, a waste of space. After I replied to your post yesterday
I downloaded Wise registry cleaner, and Auslogic.

A quick test produced the following:

Auslogic could claim back 11% of my registry by defragmenting it: Ok that
was fine I allowed it to do that. Having said that I didn't detect any
increase in startup speed.

CCleaner. This I already use, but have never used the registry cleaner. On
using the registry cleaner it flagged 4 errors. All 4 errors were MRU (most
recently used) website URL's. I knew what they were so allowed CCleaner to
remove them.

Wise Registry Cleaner. I ran this and I flagged well over 100 errors. At
least 50 of these it wasn't sure whether it could remove them safely or not.
The remaining 50 it said could be deleted but as most of the entries were
CLID's (which basically include a long string of numbers) without me
actually noting the CLID and then manually checking the registry I wasn't
prepared to let Wise registry cleaner remove them.

That was a simple, quick, test, nothing scientific. But why did Wise
registry cleaner flag so many registry problems compared to CCleaner? The
chances are that Wise registry cleaner hit so many 'false positives' that
removing them 'may' have caused more problems or me than leaving them. And
why did Wise registry cleaner advise me that 50% of the flagged errors
needed further consideration before 'I' took the decision to remove them. If
the registry cleaner was any good it should make the decision for me not, as
has happened here, start dithering!

While I agree 'it would make life easier' there is still an element of doubt
and, personally, I feel that that element of doubt isn't worth taking.