vista keeps crashing

vijayl

vista keeps crashing

:cry:
I have vista 64 which after a recent update keeps crashing but i cannot
find the culprit. I did a sfc scan today and this was what i got
C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow
Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix
some of th
em.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
C:\Windows\system32>

When i switch off sometimes it refuses to start and i have to use vista
disk to start up by start up repair. Even when it does get hundreds of
programs not responding and being shut down. I have done virus scans
with avast, nod32, kaspersky and trend housecall and not a virus found.
No rootkits either and no malware according to super antispyware,
windows defender or spybot.

I thought it might be the sound driver because sometimes i get a sound
which sounds like a stuck driver but then today with sound drivers
disabled it crashed and froze twice.

It only works in safe mode but then it decides what its going to do. I
mean i start in safemode with networking but only one in four times does
it give me that at other times it says local connectivity is limited.
When i have tried to run avast in safe mode it has crashed but other
online scanners work.

I thought it might be hardware caused by overheating but i can touch
the heatsink when its shut down with no real feeling of red hot.

Asus cool and quiet and the pc probe functions do not work giving me
AsIo error in full mode.

:sleepy::sleepy:fed up now thinking of dumping vista completely and
going to ubuntu. At least with xp i could repair system files with
windows disk. In vista i will need to do the updates all over again.

--
vijayl
vijayl

Re: vista keeps crashing

just to say i have update to sp1 which was my original reason for
joining and i have done a second clean install and updated to sp1 and
done a repair install and installed to sp1 in the last two months.

--
vijayl
Mike

Re: vista keeps crashing
have you tried uninstalling the update? Have you read the KB------ update
information on Microsoft Support? Do you have a restore point prior to the
update being installed? Look into these things if you haven't already.

"vijayl" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> :cry:
> I have vista 64 which after a recent update keeps crashing but i cannot
> find the culprit. I did a sfc scan today and this was what i got
> C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow
> Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
> Beginning verification phase of system scan.
> Verification 100% complete.
> Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix
> some of th
> em.
> Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
> example
> C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
> C:\Windows\system32>
>
> When i switch off sometimes it refuses to start and i have to use vista
> disk to start up by start up repair. Even when it does get hundreds of
> programs not responding and being shut down. I have done virus scans
> with avast, nod32, kaspersky and trend housecall and not a virus found.
> No rootkits either and no malware according to super antispyware,
> windows defender or spybot.
>
> I thought it might be the sound driver because sometimes i get a sound
> which sounds like a stuck driver but then today with sound drivers
> disabled it crashed and froze twice.
>
> It only works in safe mode but then it decides what its going to do. I
> mean i start in safemode with networking but only one in four times does
> it give me that at other times it says local connectivity is limited.
> When i have tried to run avast in safe mode it has crashed but other
> online scanners work.
>
> I thought it might be hardware caused by overheating but i can touch
> the heatsink when its shut down with no real feeling of red hot.
>
> Asus cool and quiet and the pc probe functions do not work giving me
> AsIo error in full mode.
>

> :sleepy::sleepy:fed up now thinking of dumping vista completely and
> going to ubuntu. At least with xp i could repair system files with
> windows disk. In vista i will need to do the updates all over again.
>

> --
> vijayl

Mick Murphy

Re: vista keeps crashing
A clean install(deleting the old vista, etc), adding SP1(I do it via the
standalone downloaded to disk), is a perfect way to install Vista SP1.

Have you checked in Device Managr to see that all correct, and up to date,
Drivers are installed?
Does it run OK at that stage, with nothing else, hardware or software, added?
--
Mad Mike