Cetain applications working slow

boathome

Cetain applications working slow

I have had my computer for about a year. It has worked fairly well.
A few days ago I noticed while working in Autocad, the cursor would
start moving really slow. Other applications worked regular speed. I
brought up TV on media center and it too moves real slow. I think the
problem started when I tried to watch Hero's on NBC website. If I leave
the computer for a while and then come back these applications will be
fine for a while but then the slow bug kicks in again. I have
uninstalled my graphics driver and rebooted, didn't work. When I cold
boot, it works for a couple of minutes. Also, I can hear my computer
working nonstop. Please help, I need to get back to work

--
boathome
boathome

Re: Cetain applications working slow

After doing some reading, I'm wondering if there isn't a phisical
problem with the graphics card, is this the same as video card? Maybe it
is getting too hot and not functioning well? There has been a funny
plasticky smell last few days.

Although I would hate to go thru putting in a new video card and then
find out that it was a software issue that was easy to fix.

Anything?

--
boathome
barman58

Re: Cetain applications working slow

Hello Boathome, and welcome to the forums, arty:

> Maybe it is getting too hot and not functioning well? There has been a
> funny plasticky smell last few days.this does not sound good, can you post the full specs on your system

especially the Graphics/Video card and Power Supply

You may want to have a look at 'this '
(http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/17...ool.html)which
will do most of the reporting for you

paste the output into {CODE} tags (advanced editor) If you have a
graphics chip built in to your motherboard you may want to remove the
drivers for your card and then remove the card, enable the on-board
card in the bios for diagnostic purposes.

if you are getting an overheat problem then doing this will protect the
card from further damage

post back with this info as it will allow people to better diagnose the
problem

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
boathome

Re: Cetain applications working slow

Thanks

this is all I get:
Code:
--------------------

--------------------

Not sure if I am doing that right?

--
boathome
barman58

Re: Cetain applications working slow

No that didn't work have to try it manually the info you need should be
in the documentation that came with your system did you get a user
manual or if it's a Dell or HP or something like that the model number
may be enough.

unfortunately without being able to physically examine the system the
options are limited so need as much info as possible

if you click on USER CP on the forum page you can click on edit system
and complete as much of that as you can and save it hen post back and
I'll read it from there

once I know what hardware is involved I should be able to guide you
through some diagnostic test to try and pin down the problem.

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
boathome

Re: Cetain applications working slow

Thanks for helping with this.

I have updated my system info.

The tv in windows media center acts kinda like Max Headroom if you know
what I mean.

When I download mpegs there is no lag on them.

--
boathome
boathome

Re: Cetain applications working slow

Looks like my savior disappeared.

If any one has any suggestions, I would greatly apriciate it. It is
impossible to work on cad when it is acting like this. I would reinstall
autocad but my media center tv does the same thing so it seams like it
has to be a graphics card thing?

--
boathome
barman58

Re: Cetain applications working slow

sorry Boathome,

have been very tied up with other things ...
What still worries me about your original post is the burning smell
I think the best thing to do now is check the temp of your video /
graphics card

If you download GPU-Z from 'here '
(http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/)and monitor your
Temps whilst you are working and post pack the results

You may also want to try HWinfo(32) 'Here' (http://www.hwinfo.com/) as
this will give MIN/Max Readings

Well be off-line now for a few hours but will try to be back this
evening (UK)

*Would any forum users running a GeForce 8500 GT post some baseline
temps for comparison.*

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
boathome

Re: Cetain applications working slow

Thanks again,

I have downloaded this and it started off around 114d celcius. and then
spiked up to around 126d. when I put on the media center tv. and it
started acting funny. I let it cool down to about 120d and put the tv
back on, it was fine until the temp got to about 130d and then the slow
bug kicked in again. I have no idea what normal operating temps should
be. How should I go about posting this info? Should I attach the log
file?

thanks,

Bo

--
boathome
barman58

Re: Cetain applications working slow

hi bo,

by what you've said it seems that the problem is temperature related,
that does seem high but as I don't no the card personally can't say for
sure,
if you could post the log information or at least parts that would be
relevant.

I would not have a problem posting text or screen shots from the Forum
I'm posting from ('www.vistax64.com' (http://www.vistax64.com)) but not
sure how you would do this from the newsgroups where I assume you are.

getting back to the card problem can I assume that this is one that was
fitted after manufacture, and if so the case cooling is still as stock.

I will try to find out the expected working temps and will post back