Rich text format or HTML format

t-4-2

Rich text format or HTML format

Hello everyone,
I have friends sending me attachments in " .doc file " or " dat file "
formats which my computer cannot read.
Can I change it to Rich Text Format or HTML format myself, or do I have
to tell them to resend the attachments, which is what I had been doing.
Thank you.

PS. My computer is running Windows Vista Home Premium, 32-bit.
I am using Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail.

--
t-4-2
Paul Montgomery

Re: Rich text format or HTML format
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:10:11 -0500, t-4-2 <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>I have friends sending me attachments in " .doc file " or " dat file "
>formats which my computer cannot read.

For the .doc files, Google "word viewer".

..dat files: what the heck are they sending those for!?

>Can I change it to Rich Text Format or HTML format myself, or do I have
>to tell them to resend the attachments, which is what I had been doing.
>Thank you.
>
>PS. My computer is running Windows Vista Home Premium, 32-bit.
>I am using Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail.

Richard in AZ

"t-4-2" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:12f63bc5725420457efe608bf08d316e@nntp-gateway.com...

> Hello everyone,
> I have friends sending me attachments in " .doc file " or " dat file "
> formats which my computer cannot read.
> Can I change it to Rich Text Format or HTML format myself, or do I have
> to tell them to resend the attachments, which is what I had been doing.
> Thank you.
>
> PS. My computer is running Windows Vista Home Premium, 32-bit.
> I am using Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail.
>

> --
> t-4-2

You can't make the conversions, but you can get a free viewer for the DOC (Word) files from Microsoft's download page.
Interesting enough, my wife got some DAT files from an organization.
Using "NotePad2" to view them, I was able to determine that they had been created in Adobe Acrobat.
And sure enough, The Acrobat Reader would open and display them.
The DAT files appeared to be financial statements.

http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html

t-4-2

Richard in AZ;841209 Wrote:
> "t-4-2" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> news:12f63bc5725420457efe608bf08d316e@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > Hello everyone,
> > > I have friends sending me attachments in " .doc file " or " dat file

> > "
> > > formats which my computer cannot read.
> > > Can I change it to Rich Text Format or HTML format myself, or do I

> > have
> > > to tell them to resend the attachments, which is what I had been

> > doing.
> > > Thank you.
> > >
> > > PS. My computer is running Windows Vista Home Premium, 32-bit.
> > > I am using Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail.
> > >

> > > --
> > > t-4-2 > >

> You can't make the conversions, but you can get a free viewer for the
> DOC (Word) files from Microsoft's download page.
> Interesting enough, my wife got some DAT files from an organization.
> Using "NotePad2" to view them, I was able to determine that they had
> been created in Adobe Acrobat.
> And sure enough, The Acrobat Reader would open and display them.
> The DAT files appeared to be financial statements.
>
> 'flo's freeware - Notepad2'
> (http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html)

Thank you for the infos.

--