System reliability

Bigblubber

System reliability
Like several of the posts here I am experiencing random BSOD's and heavy CPU
and Disk load. I also get a lot of random error/warning messages in event
viewer usually linked to drivers/services/applications slow to respond. My
computer is an HP with Vista home premium and dual core processor and I must
say it runs ok apart from the occasional BSOD and " app stopped working ",
although shutdown is a bit slow. I have monitored what is happening and found
that the worst case ( heavy disk usage = 66% ) occurs for a couple of minutes
after I shut down an application, after that it settles down. When the heavy
disk usage is active reliability monitor shows System4 as the culprit. Does
anyone know what this is and how to fix it?

Kayman

Re: System reliability
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 07:38:52 GMT, Bigblubber wrote:

> Like several of the posts here I am experiencing random BSOD's and heavy CPU
> and Disk load. I also get a lot of random error/warning messages in event
> viewer usually linked to drivers/services/applications slow to respond. My
> computer is an HP with Vista home premium and dual core processor and I must
> say it runs ok apart from the occasional BSOD and " app stopped working ",
> although shutdown is a bit slow. I have monitored what is happening and found
> that the worst case ( heavy disk usage = 66% ) occurs for a couple of minutes
> after I shut down an application, after that it settles down. When the heavy
> disk usage is active reliability monitor shows System4 as the culprit. Does
> anyone know what this is and how to fix it?

1.CCleaner - Free
Cleans temporary internet files, cookies, history, recent urls, application
MRUs, etc. ...
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
If Windows Defender is utilized go to Applications, under Utilities
uncheck "Windows Defender" (so it won't delete the history of WD)

2.David H. Lipman's MULTI_AV Tool
http://www.pctipp.ch/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
English:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...irus-for-free/
Additional Instructions:
http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm
--and/or--
Kaspersky's AVPTool
http://downloads5.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
--or--
http://ftp.kaspersky.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
There's no updating involved since the scanning engine is updated
several times a day and you simply download the updated scanner whenever
you want to do a scan.
--and/or--
Dr.Web CureIt!® Utility - FREE
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/
--and/or--
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware

3.SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

4.Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...kthis/download
Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

NOTE: Registration is required in any of the below fora before posting
a HJT log and read the 'stickies' (instructions/guidelines) for
the respective HJT forum.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/in...showf orum=29
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Hijack...moval_f27.html
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...p?showforum=18