display settings disabled

yvain

display settings disabled

im running vista 64 home basic. and recently i havent been able to
change my background or change my desktop icons. i get this message.
"Your system administrator has disabled luanching of the Display
Settings Control Panel." i am the only admin on this pc and as far as i
know i did nothing to change this. unless i have a virus or something.
can anyone help me out? I just want to have my desptop back. and my
trash bin. :P

--
yvain
mansrm81

Re: display settings disabled

scan your computer for viruses and spyware.

--
mansrm81
Rick Rogers

Re: display settings disabled
Hi,

You want to run regedit from the start/search line, and check the contents
of this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies

for any values relating to the display controls and post back with them.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"yvain" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> im running vista 64 home basic. and recently i havent been able to
> change my background or change my desktop icons. i get this message.
> "Your system administrator has disabled luanching of the Display
> Settings Control Panel." i am the only admin on this pc and as far as i
> know i did nothing to change this. unless i have a virus or something.
> can anyone help me out? I just want to have my desptop back. and my
> trash bin. :P
>

> --
> yvain

Sebastaen

Re: display settings disabled

I'm having the same problem as mentioned here. I was enthused to find a
thread that I though would hold the answer then frustrated that it only
turned into a deadend. I'm not a programmer, just an average Joe so
please, if you reply, do so in layman's terms and I will greatly
appreciate any help anyone could give. thanks in advance.

--
Sebastaen
Sebastaen's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/sebastaen.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

yvain

Re: display settings disabled

I honestly never figured it out. And I never found out what it was. DID
the virus scan and all that. Waste of time and money. In the end I found
myself installing windows xp for the 3rd and final time over vista.
Sorry I couldn't help you in anyway.

--
yvain
Brink

yvain;950759 Wrote:
> I honestly never figured it out. And I never found out what it was. DID
> the virus scan and all that. Waste of time and money. In the end I found
> myself installing windows xp for the 3rd and final time over vista.
> Sorry I couldn't help you in anyway.

Hello Yvain,

You might see if this may be able to help you restore this.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/15...-changing.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*'
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Sebastaen

Re: display settings disabled

Shawn, you rock. Your contribution was the fix I needed. I can't thank
you enough. I may never be able to repay you for your assistance, but I
will at least try to by helping others anytime I can. Thanks again.

--
Sebastaen
Sebastaen's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/sebastaen.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...ce/1038131.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Brink

Re: display settings disabled

You're welcome Sebastaen. I'm happy to hear that you got it sorted.

Shawn