Won't accept my Product ID

Jabout

Won't accept my Product ID

I need to register for e mail support re the frequent BSOD's I get, (you
get 90 days free support from activation)

But when I get to the entering your product ID, the screen says it's
not valid or in the wrong format, but I know it's valid and in the
correct format .

Grateful for any suggestions .

--
Jabout
Bruce Chambers

Re: Won't accept my Product ID
Jabout wrote:
> I need to register for e mail support re the frequent BSOD's I get, (you
> get 90 days free support from activation)

BSODs are almost always caused by hardware or device driver failures,
so I'm not sure what good email support would do you. You just need to
read the stop code and proceed from there; it'll usually even tell you
which specific file is causing the problem.

The top 2 or 3 lines of BSOD screen will contain information that can
help solve your problem. Carefully write down these lines and post the
exact text back here. Hopefully, one of us will be able to provide some
insight.

Additionally, you should check your Event Logs to see if they can
shed any light on the matter, To do so, Right-click My Computer >
Manage > Event Viewer > System and Application. Record the specifics of
any red-flagged error messages and post the exact text back here.
Again, hopefully, one of us will be able to provide some insight.

> But when I get to the entering your product ID, the screen says it's
> not valid or in the wrong format, but I know it's valid and in the
> correct format .
>
> Grateful for any suggestions .

The Product ID you're entering is the 20 character numeric
(12345-678-9012345-67890) code from the "General" screen of the Computer
Properties, is it not? If the letters "OEM" appear in the Product ID,
that would be the cause of the "Incorrect Format" message, as OEM
licenses aren't entitled to free support from Microsoft. All support
for OEM licenses must be provided by the computer manufacturer.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Rick Rogers

Re: Won't accept my Product ID
Hi,

It would be a Product Key that is used for activation, this is the 25
character code supplied with the system on a sticker affixed to it, or on
the DVD sleeve.

The Product ID is not the same thing. This is the 20 character code that you
will find at the bottom of system properties in the control panel. It is
this code that you need for support.

Incidentally, if your system came preinstalled, you should be contacting the
manufacturer, not Microsoft, for assistance.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org