Unable to create Restore Points

Frenchy

Unable to create Restore Points
Vista 64 Bit Ultimate. All of a sudden (seems approx 2 weeks ago)
unable to create any restore points and failing with error message
(0x8004231F) Insufficient storage available.

I have 200+Gb available. I see others with same problem, but no
solution. I have run CHKDSK and it found 2 errors
Corrupt attribute record (128, ""), what ever that is, but still no go
for restore point and it shows no restore points available.
This has also broken my daily backup to an external HD (using Vista
built in Bup) as it needs to create a Volume Shadow copy and that fails
with same error.
Help appreciated

Frenchy
SIW2

Re: Unable to create Restore Points

Worth checking if it has reached it's max. allowed space
try the following to see how much space is being used and how much is
allocated

type cmd into the start search bar - when cmd appears,right click it
and run as admin - type in vssadmin listShadowStorage and hit the enter
key.

Hope this helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
Ramesh Kumar MVP

Re: Unable to create Restore Points

'How to configure amount of space (In percentage) used by System Restore
and intervals' (http://tinyurl.com/45p8k3)

--
Ramesh Kumar MVP

RAMESH KUMAR
Microsoft MVP: 'My MVP Profile'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Ramesh.Kumar)
My Blog: 'It's My Windows' (http://itsmywindows.com)
Ramesh Kumar MVP's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=17
View this thread: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21971

Ex_Brit

Re: Unable to create Restore Points

vssadmin list ShadowStorage with a space or it rejects the cmd.

--
Ex_Brit

::*-Peter-*::
Toronto, Canada
XP Pro SP3 & Vista Ultimate SP1
P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD
PaulM

Re: Unable to create Restore Points
They should be a space between list and ShadowStorage
It should be vssadmin list ShadowStorage

www.paulsxp.com
www.paulsxp.com/forum
www.supportspace.com/home/home.s2?aiu=paulm

"SIW2" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Worth checking if it has reached it's max. allowed space
> try the following to see how much space is being used and how much is
> allocated
>
> type cmd into the start search bar - when cmd appears,right click it
> and run as admin - type in ShadowStoragand hit the enter
> key.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> SIW2
>

> --
> SIW2

Paul Montgomery

Re: Unable to create Restore Points
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:13:15 -0500, SIW2 <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>Worth checking if it has reached it's max. allowed space

Wrong.

If it has, then the oldest restore point(s) are automatically deleted
to make space.

Frenchy

SIW2 wrote:
> Worth checking if it has reached it's max. allowed space
> try the following to see how much space is being used and how much is
> allocated
>
> type cmd into the start search bar - when cmd appears,right click it
> and run as admin - type in vssadmin listShadowStorage and hit the enter
> key.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> SIW2

shows 70 Gb available and 0 used

Note the correct command is vssadmin list shadowstorage

Thanks
Frenchy
Frenchy

Ramesh Kumar MVP wrote:
> 'How to configure amount of space (In percentage) used by System Restore
> and intervals' (http://tinyurl.com/45p8k3)

I had already resized it to 70 Gb (from 40 Gb) from a Google search, but
I realise that is really not necessary. My problem (and others have the
same) is it will not allow a Restore point to be made. Something is broken!

Frenchy
PaulM

Re: Unable to create Restore Points
Have you tried to do a Vista repair??

"Frenchy" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Ramesh Kumar MVP wrote:
>> 'How to configure amount of space (In percentage) used by System Restore
>> and intervals' (http://tinyurl.com/45p8k3)
>>

> I had already resized it to 70 Gb (from 40 Gb) from a Google search, but I
> realise that is really not necessary. My problem (and others have the
> same) is it will not allow a Restore point to be made. Something is
> broken!
>
> Frenchy

Frenchy

PaulM wrote:
> Have you tried to do a Vista repair??

I have run SFC /SCANNOW and it found nothing.

Don't want to lose any data, so what Vista Repair is recommended? A
point to a tutorial appreciated.

Frenchy