Ati Video Cards

=?Utf-8?B?UGogQW5kcmV3cw==?=

Ati Video Cards
Hi Everyone - Just a quick question. I am running Vista Business and the
following computer specs
P 4 Processor at 3.06 Gh
ATI x800 AGP w/256 on board Mem
1 Gig of Memory
Two 300 Gig IDE Hard drives

All the latest drivers are installed and seem to function well (love the
Aero interface).

All seems to run fine and I am quite happy with the performance, given this
computer is a few years old, but when I run Performance index I am only
getting a 1.0 on the graphics and gaming index. I initially thought this was
due to the limitation on the AGP interface (motherboard does not have PCI-e
interface) but I have read elsewhere that others running similar set-up are
getting mid 4's on the graphic performance index.

Is there a way to get more out of this card?
mikeyhsd

Re: Ati Video Cards
have you updated to the latest drivers from ATI.
also just for a try, might look into the bios and allocate a little more memory to the video to see if it makes any difference. like 256.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Pj Andrews" <PjAndrews@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B52B9BFD-64F7-4BE4-AC02-EF1854110FA0@microsoft.com...
Hi Everyone - Just a quick question. I am running Vista Business and the
following computer specs
P 4 Processor at 3.06 Gh
ATI x800 AGP w/256 on board Mem
1 Gig of Memory
Two 300 Gig IDE Hard drives

All the latest drivers are installed and seem to function well (love the
Aero interface).

All seems to run fine and I am quite happy with the performance, given this
computer is a few years old, but when I run Performance index I am only
getting a 1.0 on the graphics and gaming index. I initially thought this was
due to the limitation on the AGP interface (motherboard does not have PCI-e
interface) but I have read elsewhere that others running similar set-up are
getting mid 4's on the graphic performance index.

Is there a way to get more out of this card?
Hurricane Andrew

Re: Ati Video Cards
You might want to make sure that you have your motherboard's AGP port
drivers (generally referred to as GART drivers) installed. That and ATI's
drivers are all that you need. I only have an older Radeon 9550 AGP card
with 128MB and it scored a 2.2 and 3.1 in the graphics and gaming graphics
tests, respectively.

--
"Hurricane" Andrew
Milford, DE

"Pj Andrews" <PjAndrews@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone - Just a quick question. I am running Vista Business and the
> following computer specs
> P 4 Processor at 3.06 Gh
> ATI x800 AGP w/256 on board Mem
> 1 Gig of Memory
> Two 300 Gig IDE Hard drives
>
> All the latest drivers are installed and seem to function well (love the
> Aero interface).
>
> All seems to run fine and I am quite happy with the performance, given
> this
> computer is a few years old, but when I run Performance index I am only
> getting a 1.0 on the graphics and gaming index. I initially thought this
> was
> due to the limitation on the AGP interface (motherboard does not have
> PCI-e
> interface) but I have read elsewhere that others running similar set-up
> are
> getting mid 4's on the graphic performance index.
>
> Is there a way to get more out of this card?

Dustin Harper

Re: Ati Video Cards
Are you getting a 1 on both the graphics tests? You need at least a 2.0 to
run Aero. It might be misreporting it, but make sure you have the newest
drivers from ATI (http://ati.amd.com).

You might try playing a game and see if it runs ok, or run a 3DMark
benchmark. If it goes a LOT slower than what it previously did, then there
may be something wrong. You might also have the hardware retested and see if
you get a higher score.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"Pj Andrews" <PjAndrews@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone - Just a quick question. I am running Vista Business and the
> following computer specs
> P 4 Processor at 3.06 Gh
> ATI x800 AGP w/256 on board Mem
> 1 Gig of Memory
> Two 300 Gig IDE Hard drives
>
> All the latest drivers are installed and seem to function well (love the
> Aero interface).
>
> All seems to run fine and I am quite happy with the performance, given
> this
> computer is a few years old, but when I run Performance index I am only
> getting a 1.0 on the graphics and gaming index. I initially thought this
> was
> due to the limitation on the AGP interface (motherboard does not have
> PCI-e
> interface) but I have read elsewhere that others running similar set-up
> are
> getting mid 4's on the graphic performance index.
>
> Is there a way to get more out of this card?

Bill Leary

Re: Ati Video Cards
"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
> Are you getting a 1 on both the graphics tests? You need at least
> a 2.0 to run Aero.

I'm getting 1.0 on both and am currently running Aero.

When I installed this card (X1650 Pro AGP, 512M RAM) and it's drivers,
replacing a rather old Radion with only 64M using XDDM drivers, a number of
things started working correctly (DVD playback, for example) and it became
possible to turn on Aero.

I'd hoped the two graphics numbers would improve, but they retested and came
out 1.0 again. I was chaulking it up to my motherboard being old and only
going to AGP 4X.

- Bill

=?Utf-8?B?UGogQW5kcmV3cw==?=

RE: Ati Video Cards
Thanks everyone for the tips - I do believe the graphics and gaming index is
in fact being mis-reported because I can and do run the Aero interface - and
it is not slow.

I did perform a clean install on a new drive and did not load any drivers
for the motherboard - so I am thinking the GART drivers (if I can find them)
might help.

"Pj Andrews" wrote:

> Hi Everyone - Just a quick question. I am running Vista Business and the
> following computer specs
> P 4 Processor at 3.06 Gh
> ATI x800 AGP w/256 on board Mem
> 1 Gig of Memory
> Two 300 Gig IDE Hard drives
>
> All the latest drivers are installed and seem to function well (love the
> Aero interface).
>
> All seems to run fine and I am quite happy with the performance, given this
> computer is a few years old, but when I run Performance index I am only
> getting a 1.0 on the graphics and gaming index. I initially thought this was
> due to the limitation on the AGP interface (motherboard does not have PCI-e
> interface) but I have read elsewhere that others running similar set-up are
> getting mid 4's on the graphic performance index.
>
> Is there a way to get more out of this card?

=?Utf-8?B?UGogQW5kcmV3cw==?=

RE: Ati Video Cards
Update - Downloaded and installed the latest ATI drivers from their site last
night (v7.4). Graphic and gaming performance jumped to 4.3. I am quite happy
with this rating since the box is 4 years old and AGP slot is only 4x. So
far drivers seem stable, but quite frankly I don't see much if any
performance gain.

"Pj Andrews" wrote:

> Thanks everyone for the tips - I do believe the graphics and gaming index is
> in fact being mis-reported because I can and do run the Aero interface - and
> it is not slow.
>
> I did perform a clean install on a new drive and did not load any drivers
> for the motherboard - so I am thinking the GART drivers (if I can find them)
> might help.
>
> "Pj Andrews" wrote:
>
> > Hi Everyone - Just a quick question. I am running Vista Business and the
> > following computer specs
> > P 4 Processor at 3.06 Gh
> > ATI x800 AGP w/256 on board Mem
> > 1 Gig of Memory
> > Two 300 Gig IDE Hard drives
> >
> > All the latest drivers are installed and seem to function well (love the
> > Aero interface).
> >
> > All seems to run fine and I am quite happy with the performance, given this
> > computer is a few years old, but when I run Performance index I am only
> > getting a 1.0 on the graphics and gaming index. I initially thought this was
> > due to the limitation on the AGP interface (motherboard does not have PCI-e
> > interface) but I have read elsewhere that others running similar set-up are
> > getting mid 4's on the graphic performance index.
> >
> > Is there a way to get more out of this card?

Steve

Re: Ati Video Cards
After installing the software I noticed there is an ATI folder in the root
directory besides the ATI folders in the Program directory. Is it safe to
delete the directory C:\ATI? I am thinking that it is only for installing
the new software.

> Update - Downloaded and installed the latest ATI drivers from their site
> last
> night (v7.4). Graphic and gaming performance jumped to 4.3. I am quite
> happy
> with this rating since the box is 4 years old and AGP slot is only 4x. So
> far drivers seem stable, but quite frankly I don't see much if any
> performance gain.
>
> "Pj Andrews" wrote:
>
>> Thanks everyone for the tips - I do believe the graphics and gaming index
>> is
>> in fact being mis-reported because I can and do run the Aero interface -
>> and
>> it is not slow.
>>
>> I did perform a clean install on a new drive and did not load any drivers
>> for the motherboard - so I am thinking the GART drivers (if I can find
>> them)
>> might help.
>>
>> "Pj Andrews" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Everyone - Just a quick question. I am running Vista Business and
>> > the
>> > following computer specs
>> > P 4 Processor at 3.06 Gh
>> > ATI x800 AGP w/256 on board Mem
>> > 1 Gig of Memory
>> > Two 300 Gig IDE Hard drives
>> >
>> > All the latest drivers are installed and seem to function well (love
>> > the
>> > Aero interface).
>> >
>> > All seems to run fine and I am quite happy with the performance, given
>> > this
>> > computer is a few years old, but when I run Performance index I am only
>> > getting a 1.0 on the graphics and gaming index. I initially thought
>> > this was
>> > due to the limitation on the AGP interface (motherboard does not have
>> > PCI-e
>> > interface) but I have read elsewhere that others running similar set-up
>> > are
>> > getting mid 4's on the graphic performance index.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to get more out of this card?

Chris

Re: Ati Video Cards
Hi, yes delete it...
ChrisC