Vista 64 Slow Performace Sametime Each Week

Banjo200

Vista 64 Slow Performace Sametime Each Week

I have an HP Pavilion Intel Core 2 Quad 4GB Memory running Vista 64 Home
Premium Edition. The Computer runs great except once a week around the
sametime on Monday night the copmputer runs slow (100% Disk according to
Performance Monitor ) I have turned off superfetch, Defrag, indexing.
Virus updater and everthing else in the task scheduler.

What tasks does Vista do once a week that is not scheduled that would
impact performance, can I turn it off, delay it....... What is Vista
doing?

Thank you,

Jef

--
Banjo200
martins77

Re: Vista 64 Slow Performace Sametime Each Week

Only once a week, you are lucky, mine is slow all the time.

Have you used the process manager to see wich programs/processes is
running when it is extra slow?

Regards Martin

--
martins77

To lazy for Linux,
to cheap for mac.
Kayman

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 19:25:41 -0500, Banjo200 wrote:

> I have an HP Pavilion Intel Core 2 Quad 4GB Memory running Vista 64 Home
> Premium Edition. The Computer runs great except once a week around the
> sametime on Monday night the copmputer runs slow (100% Disk according to
> Performance Monitor ) I have turned off superfetch, Defrag, indexing.
> Virus updater and everthing else in the task scheduler.
>
> What tasks does Vista do once a week that is not scheduled that would
> impact performance, can I turn it off, delay it....... What is Vista
> doing?

Usual culprits:
1. Malware (i.e., viruses, worms, trojans, dialers, adware, spyware)
2. Failure to delete temporary files
3. Too many programs running
4. Not enough RAM (memory).

Have a look at "Slow Computer" at

Pay special attention to Steps 1, 5, 9, and 13.

--and/or--

Help! My Computer is slow!
http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/...r-is-slow.html

--and/or--

From: Shenan Stanley...
#1: A process that's loading down your CPU:
It could be a sub-process or application that's running in the background
and taking all the CPU resources, which could be the cause of your PC
running slow.
To find and display what could be the problem try Process Explorer:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx

Note: Once you have Process Explorer installed and running:
In the taskbar select View and check 'Show Process Tree' and
'Show Lower Pane' options.
Then expand the process named 'Explorer' (click on the + sign) In the
column on the left named 'CPU', look for any high CPU usage. Next click on
the CPU column to sort the processes by %CPU usage (Highest to Lowest).
Move the mouse cursor over any process, you should see a popup with some
detailed info.
Then mouse over the process that's using most or all the CPU %.
Then click on that process to highlight it.
Now that it's highlighted, right click and from the options listed select:
'Search Online' This should display what out there on the web about that
process. You can also double click on any process to open up a more
detailed 'Properties' window. Note: some entries like Explorer,
System/Services, and Svchost entries may need to be expanded to show the
detail (sub processes), in this case click on the + located to the left of
the entry.
An alternate method using Process Explorer is to double click
on the Graph just below the Menu bar.
This will open the 'System Information' window, which has a larger display
of all three graphs.
Move your mouse over any spike in the CPU Usage graph to see what
process/application or service was the cause of the spike.

#2: Stuff that loads during boot or logon and then is always running in the
background:
If you want to list and explore what may be the cause then:
Try Autoruns from the MS Windows SysInternals site:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys.../Autoruns.mspx

AutoRuns will show/list all apps/etc. that load/run when you first boot
(Boot Execute tab), when you logon (Logon tab) and other programs that load
(grouped by labeled tabs) for easy viewing.
It also provides the ability to selectively allows you to stop any program
(use with care) that you don't want to load.
You can undo any changes you have made.
Note: To get additional details on an item in the list you may need to
highlight the item (right click) and use the 'Search Online' option to get
the details, especially useful for the more obscure items in the list.

#3: To much crap on the hard drive:
Take a look at CCleaner as a tool to remove Internet history info,
cookies, temp files, auto complete and other junk.
Note that when CCleaner is first installed most if not all the options
are checked which is far too aggressive. So I recommend unchecking
all the items listed in 'Applications' tab and in the 'Windows' tab
selectively place a check mark for only those options that are of some
value in increasing the amount of free space on your PC.

The 'Analyze' button allows you preview what and how much
hard drive space you will get back.

Also available is customization, see Options/Custom to add any
other/additional folders you want files deleted from.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

#4: Viruses, Malware
Viruses and malware can also cause your PC to slowdown or malfunction.
Malke has an excellent set of instructions on what to do:
--and/or--
Kaspersky's AVPTool
http://downloads5.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
--and/or--
http://ftp.kaspersky.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
There's no updating involved since the scanning engine is updated
several times a day and you simply download the updated scanner whenever
you want to do a scan.
--and/or--
Dr.Web CureIt!® Utility - FREE
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/
--and/or--
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware
--and/or--
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

#5: Defragment your hard drive.

Good luck :-)

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista 64 Slow Performace Sametime Each Week
Hi Jef,

Any tasks would be in task scheduler, and you mentioned that you already
looked there. I would suggest you try process explorer to see if you can
detect what is going on:

The regularity of it suggests a timed event, perhaps a weekly full system
scan by your antivirus or antimalware product.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Banjo200" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have an HP Pavilion Intel Core 2 Quad 4GB Memory running Vista 64 Home
> Premium Edition. The Computer runs great except once a week around the
> sametime on Monday night the copmputer runs slow (100% Disk according to
> Performance Monitor ) I have turned off superfetch, Defrag, indexing.
> Virus updater and everthing else in the task scheduler.
>
> What tasks does Vista do once a week that is not scheduled that would
> impact performance, can I turn it off, delay it....... What is Vista
> doing?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Jef
>

> --
> Banjo200

Charlie Tame

Rick Rogers wrote:
> Hi Jef,
>
> Any tasks would be in task scheduler, and you mentioned that you already
> looked there. I would suggest you try process explorer to see if you can
> detect what is going on:
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx
>
> The regularity of it suggests a timed event, perhaps a weekly full
> system scan by your antivirus or antimalware product.

It's not some crap HP have hidden on there is it?
gsxrmike04

Re: Vista 64 Slow Performace Sametime Each Week

maybe HP auto updates?

--
gsxrmike04
Dlifes

Re: Vista 64 Slow Performace Sametime Each Week

WOW!! I thought I was the only one with this weird problem but my HP
Core 2 Quad 6700 PC with Vista 64 home does the same thing. Once a week
(wednesday) it goes under some misterious hard drive intensive
processing which does not let me do anyting until it completes. The
funny thing is that if I shut down the PC and then turn it back up it
will continue that anoying process unti it does what it wants

Right now I am trying what it was suggested for Jeff but does anyone
have any other ideas?

--
Dlifes
Dlifes's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/dlifes.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista 64 Slow Performace Sametime Each Week
Hi,

Open Task Scheduler, see what's going on at that time. I would suspect a
full system scan is being done by an antivirus or antispyware product.
Internal system process, like defrag and indexing, run on too low a priority
to prevent system access.

--

"Dlifes" <Dlifes.3n62bb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
newslifes.3n62bb@DoNotSpam.com...

> WOW!! I thought I was the only one with this weird problem but my HP
> Core 2 Quad 6700 PC with Vista 64 home does the same thing. Once a week
> (wednesday) it goes under some misterious hard drive intensive
> processing which does not let me do anyting until it completes. The
> funny thing is that if I shut down the PC and then turn it back up it
> will continue that anoying process unti it does what it wants
>
> Right now I am trying what it was suggested for Jeff but does anyone
> have any other ideas?
>

> --
> Dlifes
> Dlifes's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/dlifes.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...ce/1034743.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

justrick

Re: Vista 64 Slow Performace Sametime Each Week

Gahhh! Same problem here! And it's an HP Pavilion m9350f. Problem
usually occurs late Tuesday morning and abates a few hours later... but
today it's still running slow well into the evening. I've looked at all
running processes, checked for viruses, turned off seemingly unnecessary
stuff, etc. etc....nothing seems out of the ordinary.

HELLLLLPPPPP!!!

--
justrick
justrick

justrick;964369 Wrote:
> Gahhh! Same problem here! And it's an HP Pavilion m9350f. Problem
> usually occurs late Tuesday morning and abates a few hours later... but
> today it's still running slow well into the evening. I've looked at all
> running processes, checked for viruses, turned off seemingly unnecessary
> stuff, etc. etc....nothing seems out of the ordinary.
>
> HELLLLLPPPPP!!!

One note to add: I've even tried disabling all startup
programs/services. No luck.

Also, we should compare installed software. I'm running Office 2007,
iTunes, MozyHome, Firefox, and uTorrent. That's about it.

--
justrick