super prefetch causing slow system

Dutch 64

super prefetch causing slow system

Hello, i have got a problem prefetch is giving me a hard time the first
2 minutes after i started up my system. I dont understand why after 7
months of using ultimate 64 its causing such lag ?? Is it because there
are more and more programs installed or what . I know i can turn it off
but i dont whant to.

My system specs :
gigabyte ga x38 dq6
intel q6600
8 gig g.e.i.l ddr2 800 memory
2x500 samsung spinpoint in raid0
8800gts 320mb

--
Dutch 64
Paul Montgomery

Re: super prefetch causing slow system
On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 15:34:47 -0500, Dutch 64 <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>Hello, i have got a problem prefetch is giving me a hard time the first
>2 minutes after i started up my system. I dont understand why after 7
>months of using ultimate 64 its causing such lag ?? Is it because there
>are more and more programs installed or what . I know i can turn it off
>but i dont whant to.

What makes you think it's Superfetch?

>My system specs :
>gigabyte ga x38 dq6
>intel q6600
>8 gig g.e.i.l ddr2 800 memory
>2x500 samsung spinpoint in raid0
>8800gts 320mb

Richard G. Harper

Re: super prefetch causing slow system
Leave it alone, it's doing what it's supposed to. It's loading often-used
code into memory to attempt to speed up performance later. Let it be and
you'll be happier in the long run.

"Dutch 64" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello, i have got a problem prefetch is giving me a hard time the first
> 2 minutes after i started up my system. I dont understand why after 7
> months of using ultimate 64 its causing such lag ?? Is it because there
> are more and more programs installed or what . I know i can turn it off
> but i dont whant to.
>
> My system specs :
> gigabyte ga x38 dq6
> intel q6600
> 8 gig g.e.i.l ddr2 800 memory
> 2x500 samsung spinpoint in raid0
> 8800gts 320mb
>

> --
> Dutch 64

mikeyhsd

Re: super prefetch causing slow system
personally I always turn it off.

editing the registry to do so.

system is happier, faster and does not stutter like this.
using 64 bit ultimate with 4 gb of memory.

you might try simply deleting the contents of the prefetch folder.
just the contents not the folder.
it is a sub folder under windows.

the system will begin rebuilding the contents on the first reboot.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"Dutch 64" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:6239b42afad6fe2b1fbafe160dcc2a2a@nntp-gateway.com...

Hello, i have got a problem prefetch is giving me a hard time the first
2 minutes after i started up my system. I dont understand why after 7
months of using ultimate 64 its causing such lag ?? Is it because there
are more and more programs installed or what . I know i can turn it off
but i dont whant to.

My system specs :
gigabyte ga x38 dq6
intel q6600
8 gig g.e.i.l ddr2 800 memory
2x500 samsung spinpoint in raid0
8800gts 320mb

--
Dutch 64
Richard Urban

Re: super prefetch causing slow system
With 8 gig of RAM Superfetch does little to nothing for you. Turn it off.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"Dutch 64" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello, i have got a problem prefetch is giving me a hard time the first
> 2 minutes after i started up my system. I dont understand why after 7
> months of using ultimate 64 its causing such lag ?? Is it because there
> are more and more programs installed or what . I know i can turn it off
> but i dont whant to.
>
> My system specs :
> gigabyte ga x38 dq6
> intel q6600
> 8 gig g.e.i.l ddr2 800 memory
> 2x500 samsung spinpoint in raid0
> 8800gts 320mb
>

> --
> Dutch 64

Richard Urban

Re: super prefetch causing slow system
Oops. I was thinking ReadyBoost.

The more RAM you have the more frequently used programs will load at startup
when using prefetch.

I only prefetch my boot programs. I don't prefetch my frequently used
programs. This make startup a bit quicker.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience

"Dutch 64" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello, i have got a problem prefetch is giving me a hard time the first
> 2 minutes after i started up my system. I dont understand why after 7
> months of using ultimate 64 its causing such lag ?? Is it because there
> are more and more programs installed or what . I know i can turn it off
> but i dont whant to.
>
> My system specs :
> gigabyte ga x38 dq6
> intel q6600
> 8 gig g.e.i.l ddr2 800 memory
> 2x500 samsung spinpoint in raid0
> 8800gts 320mb
>

> --
> Dutch 64

DDW

"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I only prefetch my boot programs. I don't prefetch my frequently used
>programs.

How do you do that?

DDW
No email please
Richard Urban

Re: super prefetch causing slow system
Registry hack!

Copy the below (between the asterisks) to a text file in notepad. Then save
as xxxxxx.reg

Run the file for the changes.

*********************************

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Se ssion Manager\Memory
Management\PrefetchParameters]
"BootId"=dword:00000046
"BaseTime"=dword:0ca25fa5
"VideoInitTime"=dword:0000000f
"EnableSuperfetch"=dword:00000001
"EnablePrefetcher"=dword:00000003
"EnableBootTrace"=dword:00000000

*********************************

The line "EnableSuperfetch"=dword:00000001 is the key

The default is dword:00000003 which caches all

dword:00000001 is boot files only

--

"DDW" <ddwright@KILLSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I only prefetch my boot programs. I don't prefetch my frequently used
>>programs.

> How do you do that?
>
> DDW
> No email please

DDW

Re: super prefetch causing slow system
"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Registry hack!
>
>Copy the below (between the asterisks) to a text file in notepad. Then save
>as xxxxxx.reg

Thanks! But that doesn't look like a ".reg" file: it's missing
"Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00".

I changed "EnableSuperfetch" manually.

>Run the file for the changes.
>

>*********************************
>
>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Se ssion Manager\Memory
>Management\PrefetchParameters]
>"BootId"=dword:00000046
>"BaseTime"=dword:0ca25fa5
>"VideoInitTime"=dword:0000000f
>"EnableSuperfetch"=dword:00000001
>"EnablePrefetcher"=dword:00000003
>"EnableBootTrace"=dword:00000000

>The line "EnableSuperfetch"=dword:00000001 is the key
>
>The default is dword:00000003 which caches all
>
>dword:00000001 is boot files only

DDW
No email please
Richard Urban

Re: super prefetch causing slow system
You're right. I left that out. It should be as follows: