So slow so slow

martins77

So slow so slow

Hola,

I'm trying to copy the files in my user account to a new user account
(I need to change name on my user folder) but it is so slow... Now I
have a rate of 3MB/s, the limit of the disk should be 3GB/s. I have set
the disk to optimized performance... why is it so slow? The RAM is only
used to about 50% and the CPU is only at 5% so there are a lot resurces
to use... please why was windows 3.11 faster than this..

Help...

|Filename: Skärmklipp.JPG |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.p...achmentid=6379 |

martins77

To lazy for Linux,
to cheep for mac.
martins77

Re: So slow so slow

I'm so dissapointed.. I thougth that geting new faster dual core
hardware and a x64 bit system would speed things up ... not slow things
down, is vista only good for web browsing?

--
martins77

To lazy for Linux,
to cheep for mac.
Kayman

Re: So slow so slow
On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 05:14:30 -0500, martins77 wrote:
> Hola,
> I'm trying to copy the files in my user account to a new user account
> (I need to change name on my user folder) but it is so slow... Now I
> have a rate of 3MB/s, the limit of the disk should be 3GB/s. I have set
> the disk to optimized performance... why is it so slow? The RAM is only
> used to about 50% and the CPU is only at 5% so there are a lot resurces
> to use... please why was windows 3.11 faster than this..

Usual culprits:
1. Malware (i.e., viruses, worms, trojans, dialers, adware, spyware)
2. Failure to delete temporary files
3. Too many programs running
4. Not enough RAM (memory).

Have a look at "Slow Computer" at

Pay special attention to Steps 1, 5, 9, and 13.

--and/or--

Help! My Computer is slow!
http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/...r-is-slow.html

--and/or--

From: Shenan Stanley...
#1: A process that's loading down your CPU:
It could be a sub-process or application that's running in the background
and taking all the CPU resources, which could be the cause of your PC
running slow.
To find and display what could be the problem try Process Explorer:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx

Note: Once you have Process Explorer installed and running:
In the taskbar select View and check 'Show Process Tree' and
'Show Lower Pane' options.
Then expand the process named 'Explorer' (click on the + sign) In the
column on the left named 'CPU', look for any high CPU usage. Next click on
the CPU column to sort the processes by %CPU usage (Highest to Lowest).
Move the mouse cursor over any process, you should see a popup with some
detailed info.
Then mouse over the process that's using most or all the CPU %.
Then click on that process to highlight it.
Now that it's highlighted, right click and from the options listed select:
'Search Online' This should display what out there on the web about that
process. You can also double click on any process to open up a more
detailed 'Properties' window. Note: some entries like Explorer,
System/Services, and Svchost entries may need to be expanded to show the
detail (sub processes), in this case click on the + located to the left of
the entry.
An alternate method using Process Explorer is to double click
on the Graph just below the Menu bar.
This will open the 'System Information' window, which has a larger display
of all three graphs.
Move your mouse over any spike in the CPU Usage graph to see what
process/application or service was the cause of the spike.

#2: Stuff that loads during boot or logon and then is always running in the
background:
If you want to list and explore what may be the cause then:
Try Autoruns from the MS Windows SysInternals site:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys.../Autoruns.mspx

AutoRuns will show/list all apps/etc. that load/run when you first boot
(Boot Execute tab), when you logon (Logon tab) and other programs that load
(grouped by labeled tabs) for easy viewing.
It also provides the ability to selectively allows you to stop any program
(use with care) that you don't want to load.
You can undo any changes you have made.
Note: To get additional details on an item in the list you may need to
highlight the item (right click) and use the 'Search Online' option to get
the details, especially useful for the more obscure items in the list.

#3: To much crap on the hard drive:
Take a look at CCleaner as a tool to remove Internet history info,
cookies, temp files, auto complete and other junk.
Note that when CCleaner is first installed most if not all the options
are checked which is far too aggressive. So I recommend unchecking
all the items listed in 'Applications' tab and in the 'Windows' tab
selectively place a check mark for only those options that are of some
value in increasing the amount of free space on your PC.

The 'Analyze' button allows you preview what and how much
hard drive space you will get back.

Also available is customization, see Options/Custom to add any
other/additional folders you want files deleted from.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

#4: Viruses, Malware
Viruses and malware can also cause your PC to slowdown or malfunction.
Malke has an excellent set of instructions on what to do:
--and/or--
Kaspersky's AVPTool
http://downloads5.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
--and/or--
http://ftp.kaspersky.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
There's no updating involved since the scanning engine is updated
several times a day and you simply download the updated scanner whenever
you want to do a scan.
--and/or--
Dr.Web CureIt!® Utility - FREE
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/
--and/or--
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware
--and/or--
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

#5: Defragment your hard drive.

Good luck :-)
Paul Smith

Re: So slow so slow
"martins77" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I'm trying to copy the files in my user account to a new user account
> (I need to change name on my user folder) but it is so slow... Now I
> have a rate of 3MB/s, the limit of the disk should be 3GB/s. I have set
> the disk to optimized performance... why is it so slow? The RAM is only
> used to about 50% and the CPU is only at 5% so there are a lot resurces
> to use... please why was windows 3.11 faster than this..

No hard disk is that fast. Real life write performance is between 40MB/s
and 110MB/s. Without knowing what type of hard disk you have it would be
hard to say where you should lie.

But then, that would be burst performance while transferring a single large
file. Lots of small files will slow things down considerably. And if
you're reading and writing from the same disk, that'll cut speed again, by
over half isn't unreasonable.

CPU performance won't effect it, the bottlenecks will be the speed of the
hard disk, the PCI bus and the controller.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

Phillips

Re: So slow so slow
Are you doing cut and paste or copy and paste? Cut and paste is faster.
Michael

"martins77" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hola,
>
> I'm trying to copy the files in my user account to a new user account
> (I need to change name on my user folder) but it is so slow... Now I
> have a rate of 3MB/s, the limit of the disk should be 3GB/s. I have set
> the disk to optimized performance... why is it so slow? The RAM is only
> used to about 50% and the CPU is only at 5% so there are a lot resurces
> to use... please why was windows 3.11 faster than this..
>
> Help...

> |Filename: Skärmklipp.JPG |
> |Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.p...achmentid=6379 |

> martins77
>
> To lazy for Linux,
> to cheep for mac.

tweakwindows

Re: So slow so slow

I hope you have SP1.I suggest TERA COPY freeware to copy fast.(sorry,
Google for download link)

--
tweakwindows

'http://www.tweakwindows.co.cc' (www.tweakwindows.co.cc)
'Exclusive:Create Live CD/DVD/USB Of Vista or XP or Se7en'
(http://tinyurl.com/5z7jdo)
tweakwindows's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=135
View this thread: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21567