Run Program on Critical Battery Level

Megabyte

Run Program on Critical Battery Level
I found a post asking a similar question to this, but the answer does not
really help me, so I'll ask again.

I'm looking to find out how to run a program (or script/batch file
preferably) that will autorun when the battery reaches critical level.

The reason I ask is that I have my PC and a Western Digital MyBook World
Edition network drive connected to my UPS. For those who don't know, it
runs a version of linux, and I have hacked into the box and added a pointer
that looks for a connection on a specific port and when it gets one, shuts
down the box properly.

Since I have my PC hibernate when my UPS is almost dead, I'd like to run a
script that launches telnet to a specific host on a specific port. When
that completes, Hibernate.

This was easy in XP, as there was a "Run Program" option in the power
options. I can't seem to find it in Vista.

Please help,

Thanks
-- ET

Rick Rogers

Re: Run Program on Critical Battery Level
Hi,

Haven't tried it myself yet, but I should think you'd be able to do this
with Task Scheduler by setting an event trigger.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Megabyte" <etingley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I found a post asking a similar question to this, but the answer does not
>really help me, so I'll ask again.
>
> I'm looking to find out how to run a program (or script/batch file
> preferably) that will autorun when the battery reaches critical level.
>
> The reason I ask is that I have my PC and a Western Digital MyBook World
> Edition network drive connected to my UPS. For those who don't know, it
> runs a version of linux, and I have hacked into the box and added a
> pointer that looks for a connection on a specific port and when it gets
> one, shuts down the box properly.
>
> Since I have my PC hibernate when my UPS is almost dead, I'd like to run a
> script that launches telnet to a specific host on a specific port. When
> that completes, Hibernate.
>
> This was easy in XP, as there was a "Run Program" option in the power
> options. I can't seem to find it in Vista.
>
> Please help,
>
> Thanks
> -- ET

Megabyte

Re: Run Program on Critical Battery Level
I had considered this, and in fact that's how I have it set up now...

However, the same event is logged whether I manually put the PC to sleep or
it goes to sleep due to a power event, so far as I can tell...

There's got to be a registry entry for it somewhere, I just have not been
able to locate it. I find it unlikely that Microsoft would remove
functionality. I find it more likely that they would hide potentially
dangerous functionality so as to protect those who do not understand the
implications of just "running a program" on a power event...

-- ET