Vista backup

Adds

Vista backup
Is there a way using Vista's backup (Ultimate) to backup files without
putting them into a backup format file - In other words, I simply want to
automate a backup which copies individual files to a different hard drive..
Something like xcopy, but with a GUI.

I know I could use xcopy within a batch file, but I'm getting problems with
Vista automatically going into sleep mode halfway though my backup event
(despite my power settings telling it to sleep about 1 hour it goes to sleep
after a few minutes when woken up by the scheduler).

Thanks,
A.

Dave

Re: Vista backup
I use Cobian Backup
http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

It has a GUI, where you can create scheduled backups to Zip files.

"Adds" <adds21@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way using Vista's backup (Ultimate) to backup files without
> putting them into a backup format file - In other words, I simply want to
> automate a backup which copies individual files to a different hard
> drive.. Something like xcopy, but with a GUI.
>
> I know I could use xcopy within a batch file, but I'm getting problems
> with Vista automatically going into sleep mode halfway though my backup
> event (despite my power settings telling it to sleep about 1 hour it goes
> to sleep after a few minutes when woken up by the scheduler).
>
> Thanks,
> A.

Adam

Re: Vista backup
Thanks.

A.

"Dave" <dave@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>I use Cobian Backup
> http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm
>
> It has a GUI, where you can create scheduled backups to Zip files.
>

> "Adds" <adds21@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a way using Vista's backup (Ultimate) to backup files without
>> putting them into a backup format file - In other words, I simply want to
>> automate a backup which copies individual files to a different hard
>> drive.. Something like xcopy, but with a GUI.
>>
>> I know I could use xcopy within a batch file, but I'm getting problems
>> with Vista automatically going into sleep mode halfway though my backup
>> event (despite my power settings telling it to sleep about 1 hour it goes
>> to sleep after a few minutes when woken up by the scheduler).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> A.

Rock

Re: Vista backup
"Adds" <adds21@yahoo.com> wrote
> Is there a way using Vista's backup (Ultimate) to backup files without
> putting them into a backup format file - In other words, I simply want to
> automate a backup which copies individual files to a different hard
> drive.. Something like xcopy, but with a GUI.
>
> I know I could use xcopy within a batch file, but I'm getting problems
> with Vista automatically going into sleep mode halfway though my backup
> event (despite my power settings telling it to sleep about 1 hour it goes
> to sleep after a few minutes when woken up by the scheduler).

Not with the native backup tools.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

David A. Lessnau

Re: Vista backup
You could try Microsoft's free SyncToy:

I don't know if you can put in in a scheduled task. But, at the manual
level, it should do what you want.

"Adds" <adds21@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way using Vista's backup (Ultimate) to backup files without
> putting them into a backup format file - In other words, I simply want to
> automate a backup which copies individual files to a different hard
> drive.. Something like xcopy, but with a GUI.
>
> I know I could use xcopy within a batch file, but I'm getting problems
> with Vista automatically going into sleep mode halfway though my backup
> event (despite my power settings telling it to sleep about 1 hour it goes
> to sleep after a few minutes when woken up by the scheduler).
>
> Thanks,
> A.

Adam

Re: Vista backup

"David A. Lessnau" <DavidALessnau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E5D78D35-75BB-45C3-97F5-13890C97745F@microsoft.com...
> You could try Microsoft's free SyncToy:

> I don't know if you can put in in a scheduled task. But, at the manual
> level, it should do what you want.

Ah! That's perfect. Thanks. It can be run from the scheduler using the -R
option.

Thanks,
A.