IE & home page

tcseacliff

IE & home page

I have been to many vista forums,can't keep track.not ure if I had
posted here before. my problem is IE 7.the biggest problem is when i
close out of a web page via the back button , my IE 7 starts to load
about blank and google pages as fast as task manager can close them. i
have changed every setting from every forum ,some were so
complicated,with all the exe. files etc,etc,. it still happens, even
with IE 7 not running .it will open up any way. now a new problem is I
reset the default settings and there is an aol home ,page. I did not
make it my home page and re-setting to default, it is still there. it
will not go away. and I have disabled add-ons still all these probs
persist. I have yet to try the DEP route. I am not comfortable with
messing with that. any ideas for a not too technical fix??

--
tcseacliff
Mick Murphy

RE: IE & home page
Open IE7
Go to the page that you want to be the Home Page.
While at it, click on Tools>Internet Options>General>Home Page>Use
Current>Apply>OK

Then close you browser, and reopen it.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia

"tcseacliff" wrote:

> I have been to many vista forums,can't keep track.not ure if I had
> posted here before. my problem is IE 7.the biggest problem is when i
> close out of a web page via the back button , my IE 7 starts to load
> about blank and google pages as fast as task manager can close them. i
> have changed every setting from every forum ,some were so
> complicated,with all the exe. files etc,etc,. it still happens, even
> with IE 7 not running .it will open up any way. now a new problem is I
> reset the default settings and there is an aol home ,page. I did not
> make it my home page and re-setting to default, it is still there. it
> will not go away. and I have disabled add-ons still all these probs
> persist. I have yet to try the DEP route. I am not comfortable with
> messing with that. any ideas for a not too technical fix??
>

> --
> tcseacliff

Ralph

Re: IE & home page
1. Ok, I read my own post and thought of the 'real' first step.
Reset all the IE7 defaults in Internet Options->Advanced.. NB: this will
remove any customization you've made for bank sites, game sites,
certificates, etc.

2. Cleaning out AOL entries is a pesky business. It took me a while.
Try the Microsoft Uninstall Cleanup utility and look for AOL entries.
Please read the warnings, because this utility is dangerous.
Do a backup first, or at least create a restore point before starting.

Remember, a restore point will bring back anything you've saved on it,
including malware.
Don't restore to a point before MS updates unless you're desperate. I
haven't seen this work anyway.

3. Then do a thorough malware cleaning. - try Superantispyware.
I don't like the program on my system, so I remove it after, but it does a
good job on infected machines, unless the system is unusable.

good luck!