Vista loads but nothing works

merlindog

Vista loads but nothing works
I use Vista Home Premium SP1. Vista seems to load (log in to user account)
followed by desktop being populated. All taskbars in place. But nothing
works - left/right click or keyboard. Message (after a gray screen) -
Windows not responding, end process/cancel. End process results in all
desktop items and taskbars disappearing. Switching computer off and
rebooting works sometimes, but often a number of reboots are required. Can
normally boot into safe mode, but a restart from here is not always
successful either.
I use Bullguard as anti-virus (auto update). Windows update is on (although
there is a icon in the system tray saying that Defender is not up to date -
trying to update the definitions returns no new def available - Defender
still runs each day).
Have cleaned/checked connections inside computer.

Do I need to reinstall Windows?

Thanks, Terry

j-026

RE: Vista loads but nothing works
no you do not have to reinstall vista i sugest uninstalling bullguard i to
had simulare problems and most likely even worse i ran into major problems
as well and the only solution was to remove bullguard completly i did
reinstall vita but eventually ran into the same complications .i did multiy
restores and once i uninstalled bullguard my pc ran with no problems i also
suggest installing onecare from microsoft as a replacement for antivirus
program for temp use till a new program can be installed or permentaly
other issues i had was slow response to opening programs and slow response
in IE7.... hope this helps you and prevents you from futher headachs and
complications
> works - left/right click or keyboard. Message (after a gray screen) -
> Windows not responding, end process/cancel. End process results in all
> desktop items and taskbars disappearing. Switching computer off and
> rebooting works sometimes, but often a number of reboots are required. Can
> normally boot into safe mode, but a restart from here is not always
> successful either.
> I use Bullguard as anti-virus (auto update). Windows update is on (although
> there is a icon in the system tray saying that Defender is not up to date -
> trying to update the definitions returns no new def available - Defender
> still runs each day).
> Have cleaned/checked connections inside computer.
>
> Do I need to reinstall Windows?
>
> Thanks, Terry

j-026

RE: Vista loads but nothing works
aslo make sure you boot in safe mode to uninstall bullguard it will not
uninstall in normal mode it will think you are a hacker or virus and wont
let you remove it

"merlindog" wrote:

> I use Vista Home Premium SP1. Vista seems to load (log in to user account)
> followed by desktop being populated. All taskbars in place. But nothing
> works - left/right click or keyboard. Message (after a gray screen) -
> Windows not responding, end process/cancel. End process results in all
> desktop items and taskbars disappearing. Switching computer off and
> rebooting works sometimes, but often a number of reboots are required. Can
> normally boot into safe mode, but a restart from here is not always
> successful either.
> I use Bullguard as anti-virus (auto update). Windows update is on (although
> there is a icon in the system tray saying that Defender is not up to date -
> trying to update the definitions returns no new def available - Defender
> still runs each day).
> Have cleaned/checked connections inside computer.
>
> Do I need to reinstall Windows?
>
> Thanks, Terry

Terry

Re: Vista loads but nothing works
Many thanks for your response. I have reinstalled Vista , which seemed to
solve the problem for a short time, but then it reappeared. Since then I
have uninstalled Bullguard, with no subsequent problems. (Also, having
contacted Bullguard on this issue, I have yet to receive a reply).
Terry