problem w/internet speed w/vista

=?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2x5bg==?=

problem w/internet speed w/vista
Hello! I'm not very computer literate so I'm not sure how to explain this
but..

We just purchased a new lapton w/vista installed and we purchased a satelite
internet system. Our speeds are slower than the dial-up we used to have. I
have called the company many times and they tell me that they can not check
my system b/c it's VISTA. They told me that it may be configured wrong, but
I have no idea how to check it or how to reconfigure it. Can anybody PLEASE
help!! I'm at my rope's end with this system!
miss-information

Re: problem w/internet speed w/vista
"Carolyn" <Carolyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello! I'm not very computer literate so I'm not sure how to explain this
> but..
>
> We just purchased a new lapton w/vista installed and we purchased a
> satelite
> internet system. Our speeds are slower than the dial-up we used to have.
> have called the company many times and they tell me that they can not
> check
> my system b/c it's VISTA. They told me that it may be configured wrong,
> but
> I have no idea how to check it or how to reconfigure it. Can anybody
> PLEASE
> help!! I'm at my rope's end with this system!

Go here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sat where you can find out what
settings to change for improved speeds. Also check the settings for IE's
Phishing filter which can slow down page loading.

mi

MattersNot

Carolyn wrote:
> Hello! I'm not very computer literate so I'm not sure how to explain this
> but..
>
> We just purchased a new lapton w/vista installed and we purchased a satelite
> internet system. Our speeds are slower than the dial-up we used to have. I
> have called the company many times and they tell me that they can not check
> my system b/c it's VISTA. They told me that it may be configured wrong, but
> I have no idea how to check it or how to reconfigure it. Can anybody PLEASE
> help!! I'm at my rope's end with this system!

Hi, Carolyn-

I'm not really surprised about your slow speeds using
satellite internet. I went to satellite internet last
December and the down and up speeds at the best of times are
no faster than I used to get years ago on a dial up
connection when I lived in the city. I presently live way
out in the country and have no hope of ever seeing DSL or a
cable connection in this life time. The dial up I had been
using here was really slow with download speed of up to 2K
at the best of times. While the satellite connection is ten
to twenty times faster than that it does not even come close
to what one can expect with DSL. Also one has to contend
with the latency time loss - that is to say the uplink and
downlink times to the satellite itself. My satellite
provider does offer faster speeds for ridiculously higher
priced service connections You didn't mention what speeds
you're experiencing in your post but, based upon my
experience, if you're getting download speeds of 20 to 40K
you are probably doing well. My satellite provider
(Xplornet) does offer the URL of a server to test up and
down speeds which they can look at to determine if there is
a problem. I've been testing for about a week now at
different times of the day a have noticed that at 2:00am I
get speeds that are about 75% of what they advertise, but
during the day when there are more users on line my speeds
are about 30 to 40% of what they advertise. My speed with
Vista is the same as I experienced with XP, so I doubt that
the problem is within Vista. Also, satellite Internet is no
good for VOIP and peer to peer connections among other
things that DSL, cable, and even dial up users take for granted.

Jack
PAG

Re: problem w/internet speed w/vista

Hi,

There are posting on several forums about slow Internet on Vista. We
have the same problem on our new Vista system.

We have about 6 user profiles set up on our Vista system. 5 of the
suffer from the 'slow internet' issue but one doesn't - that profile
belongs to my sone but he's not sure what he changed to make the
Internet work. He user a standard user account so whatever he did does
not require admin privileges.

I've compared internet account settings (and every setting I can think
of) but can't find anything different about his account. What I notice
however is that his 'temporary internet files' folder has abou 10x the
number of files that other profiles have.

I'm not a windoews expert so not sure where to look from here. I
suspect there's another setting somewhere I've not found, or maybe his
registry entry has something different in it.

Anyone have any ideas where I can look?

--
PAG