Download Speed going down :(

Hardwire

Download Speed going down :(

Hello all, I first I don't know if this is the thread I put this in, but
I apologize if it isn't. Well I built a computer about a month ago and
I just really noticed my download speed hasn't been the same since I
made the move from XP to Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I have DSL and
usally my download speeds were 160kb/s. Now on Vista the speed has
dramatilcy gone down to around 40kb/s. I did a test on my XP laptop and
that works fine, I was wondering what I could do to make vista run
faster for downloading off the internet and torrents. Thanks for your
time.

--
Hardwire
Mick Murphy

RE: Download Speed going down :(
1. If using a Router, get the latest Vista Firmware updates for it.
2. Latest Drivers for your Network Adaptor.
3. Right-click your Network Conection>Properties> try unbinding TCP/IPv6 to
see if that helps.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia

"Hardwire" wrote:

> Hello all, I first I don't know if this is the thread I put this in, but
> I apologize if it isn't. Well I built a computer about a month ago and
> I just really noticed my download speed hasn't been the same since I
> made the move from XP to Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I have DSL and
> usally my download speeds were 160kb/s. Now on Vista the speed has
> dramatilcy gone down to around 40kb/s. I did a test on my XP laptop and
> that works fine, I was wondering what I could do to make vista run
> faster for downloading off the internet and torrents. Thanks for your
> time.
>

> --
> Hardwire

Mick Murphy

RE: Download Speed going down :(
http://www.speedtest.net/

Do a broadband speed test, and see how it compares to what your ISP is
supposed to providing for you.
--

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> 1. If using a Router, get the latest Vista Firmware updates for it.
> 2. Latest Drivers for your Network Adaptor.
> 3. Right-click your Network Conection>Properties> try unbinding TCP/IPv6 to
> see if that helps.
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia
>

> "Hardwire" wrote:
>

> > Hello all, I first I don't know if this is the thread I put this in, but
> > I apologize if it isn't. Well I built a computer about a month ago and
> > I just really noticed my download speed hasn't been the same since I
> > made the move from XP to Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I have DSL and
> > usally my download speeds were 160kb/s. Now on Vista the speed has
> > dramatilcy gone down to around 40kb/s. I did a test on my XP laptop and
> > that works fine, I was wondering what I could do to make vista run
> > faster for downloading off the internet and torrents. Thanks for your
> > time.
> >

> > --
> > Hardwire

AlexRD

Re: Download Speed going down :(

Hey man, do you know that downloading torrents can be very unstable..

There are Seeders
There are Leechers

Seeders upload the download, they send the content to your computer.
Their Upload speed, can be like (40 Kbs), so you will only download at
a maximum of 40 Kbs.. Its not because it is in internet that it goes the
fast your internet has.
In a torrent, it is possible to have more than 1000 Seeders, but it
doesn`t mean that all that speed will come to you, the others Leechers (
People who download ) can get the speed too. So if there are 1000
Seeders that have a upload speed of 1 KB, and there are 10 Leechers, it
will come 100 to each leecher.

That happens to files in internet too.. But normally, when you download
from Rapidshare ( Example ) their upload speed is really big, so they
can host for everyone.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/10...rve-limit.html
This tutorial might be useful to help you improve your speed.

Thanks,
Alex.

--
AlexRD
Ralph

Re: Download Speed going down :(
....or you may have just been targetted for actually trying to use what you
pay for.

I believe they call it 'traffic shaping', or some such marketing propaganda.

Try a different file share program to test this. I went through three and
each time, got good results for a while just after a change, until they
caught on.

"AlexRD" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hey man, do you know that downloading torrents can be very unstable..
>
> There are Seeders
> There are Leechers
>
> Seeders upload the download, they send the content to your computer.
> Their Upload speed, can be like (40 Kbs), so you will only download at
> a maximum of 40 Kbs.. Its not because it is in internet that it goes the
> fast your internet has.
> In a torrent, it is possible to have more than 1000 Seeders, but it
> doesn`t mean that all that speed will come to you, the others Leechers (
> People who download ) can get the speed too. So if there are 1000
> Seeders that have a upload speed of 1 KB, and there are 10 Leechers, it
> will come 100 to each leecher.
>
> That happens to files in internet too.. But normally, when you download
> from Rapidshare ( Example ) their upload speed is really big, so they
> can host for everyone.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/10...rve-limit.html
> This tutorial might be useful to help you improve your speed.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex.
>

> --
> AlexRD

Hardwire

Re: Download Speed going down :(

I should of noted I tried a test with downloading firefox off the
mozzila website in my question. But after talking to a few people they
all told me to restart my modem and router and bam it fixed the
problem.. Thanks for your hep.

--
Hardwire