Incremental backups = full hard disk drive (sooner or later)

douglasl

Incremental backups = full hard disk drive (sooner or later)
It seems to me that Vista's built-in backup supports only 1 model: a full
backup the 1st time, and incremental backups forever thereafter. Since I back
up to an external hard drive, this is eventually going to leave me no option
but to delete all my backups and start over from scratch.

1. Am I missing something in Vista's built-in backup?

2. Acronis True Image Home seems to be the most recommended 3rd-party
option. Any objections? Their Web site implies support only for 32-bit Vista
(by mentioning 64-bit XP explicitly, but NOT 64-bit Vista). Does it support
64-bit?

Thanks for your input! -Doug

Richard in AZ

Re: Incremental backups = full hard disk drive (sooner or later)
"douglasl" <douglasl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0FC8125B-3AFD-49B4-85CE-B77E22899CC6@microsoft.com...
> It seems to me that Vista's built-in backup supports only 1 model: a full
> backup the 1st time, and incremental backups forever thereafter. Since I back
> up to an external hard drive, this is eventually going to leave me no option
> but to delete all my backups and start over from scratch.
>
> 1. Am I missing something in Vista's built-in backup?
>
> 2. Acronis True Image Home seems to be the most recommended 3rd-party
> option. Any objections? Their Web site implies support only for 32-bit Vista
> (by mentioning 64-bit XP explicitly, but NOT 64-bit Vista). Does it support
> 64-bit?
>
> Thanks for your input! -Doug

What was the backup technique you were expecting?
Almost all backup software are designed for a full, followed by incremental backups.
that way you only backup the second, third, etc. the files that changed.
Except for compressing the files to save space, I don't see your problem.
Maybe you did not explain it correctly.

Remember, you really hope you never need your backup.
Paul Montgomery

Re: Incremental backups = full hard disk drive (sooner or later)
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 16:50:01 -0700, douglasl
<douglasl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>2. Acronis True Image Home seems to be the most recommended 3rd-party
>option. Any objections? Their Web site implies support only for 32-bit Vista
>(by mentioning 64-bit XP explicitly, but NOT 64-bit Vista). Does it support
>64-bit?

"Implies support only for 32-bit Vista"?

The website says "Windows Vista" and no restrictions are listed - in
my view that "implies" ALL editions of Vista.

The user manual (available from the website) clearly states:

1.3.2 Supported operating systems
• Windows® 2000 Professional SP 4
• Windows XP SP 2
• Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
• Windows Vista (all editions)

SIW2

Re: Incremental backups = full hard disk drive (sooner or later)

Hi,

You might like to download this free app. and see if it does what you
want

'Karen's Replicator'
(http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp)

SIW2

--
SIW2
Don

Re: Incremental backups = full hard disk drive (sooner or later)

"douglasl" <douglasl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It seems to me that Vista's built-in backup supports only 1 model: a full
> backup the 1st time, and incremental backups forever thereafter. Since I
> back
> up to an external hard drive, this is eventually going to leave me no
> option
> but to delete all my backups and start over from scratch.
>
> 1. Am I missing something in Vista's built-in backup?
>
> 2. Acronis True Image Home seems to be the most recommended 3rd-party
> option. Any objections? Their Web site implies support only for 32-bit
> Vista
> (by mentioning 64-bit XP explicitly, but NOT 64-bit Vista). Does it
> support
> 64-bit?
>
> Thanks for your input! -Doug

It runs just fine, in 64 bit Vista for me.

--
Don

Peter

Re: Incremental backups = full hard disk drive (sooner or later)
If you want more control over your backup routines i recommend trying Cobian
Backup

http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

"douglasl" <douglasl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It seems to me that Vista's built-in backup supports only 1 model: a full
> backup the 1st time, and incremental backups forever thereafter. Since I
> back
> up to an external hard drive, this is eventually going to leave me no
> option
> but to delete all my backups and start over from scratch.
>
> 1. Am I missing something in Vista's built-in backup?
>
> 2. Acronis True Image Home seems to be the most recommended 3rd-party
> option. Any objections? Their Web site implies support only for 32-bit
> Vista
> (by mentioning 64-bit XP explicitly, but NOT 64-bit Vista). Does it
> support
> 64-bit?
>
> Thanks for your input! -Doug

RSudds

Re: Incremental backups = full hard disk drive (sooner or later)
But it doesn't seem truely incremental. Right now Vista is happily backing
my daughters pictures (who went to college a month ago and hasn't touched any
of the files since the last backup). Why does the third "incremental" backup
take 14 DVDs (and about 15 hours, unless you sit and watch) just like the
first backup?

"Richard in AZ" wrote:

> "douglasl" <douglasl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0FC8125B-3AFD-49B4-85CE-B77E22899CC6@microsoft.com...
> > It seems to me that Vista's built-in backup supports only 1 model: a full
> > backup the 1st time, and incremental backups forever thereafter. Since I back
> > up to an external hard drive, this is eventually going to leave me no option
> > but to delete all my backups and start over from scratch.
> >
> > 1. Am I missing something in Vista's built-in backup?
> >
> > 2. Acronis True Image Home seems to be the most recommended 3rd-party
> > option. Any objections? Their Web site implies support only for 32-bit Vista
> > (by mentioning 64-bit XP explicitly, but NOT 64-bit Vista). Does it support
> > 64-bit?
> >
> > Thanks for your input! -Doug
> >

> What was the backup technique you were expecting?
> Almost all backup software are designed for a full, followed by incremental backups.
> that way you only backup the second, third, etc. the files that changed.
> Except for compressing the files to save space, I don't see your problem.
> Maybe you did not explain it correctly.
>
> Remember, you really hope you never need your backup.

Richard in AZ

Re: Incremental backups = full hard disk drive (sooner or later)
I prefer a 3rd party backup program and cannot discuss the built-in Vista backup software, but if you are not getting a 14 DVD backup, then you are not getting a true incremental backup and most likely are not running the program correctly. Even a "Full Backup" should not take 14 DVDs,

"RSudds" <RSudds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D2247CB-362D-450E-B6F5-83D5E31C9E42@microsoft.com...
> But it doesn't seem truely incremental. Right now Vista is happily backing
> my daughters pictures (who went to college a month ago and hasn't touched any
> of the files since the last backup). Why does the third "incremental" backup
> take 14 DVDs (and about 15 hours, unless you sit and watch) just like the
> first backup?
>
> "Richard in AZ" wrote:
>
>> "douglasl" <douglasl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0FC8125B-3AFD-49B4-85CE-B77E22899CC6@microsoft.com...
>> > It seems to me that Vista's built-in backup supports only 1 model: a full
>> > backup the 1st time, and incremental backups forever thereafter. Since I back
>> > up to an external hard drive, this is eventually going to leave me no option
>> > but to delete all my backups and start over from scratch.
>> >
>> > 1. Am I missing something in Vista's built-in backup?
>> >
>> > 2. Acronis True Image Home seems to be the most recommended 3rd-party
>> > option. Any objections? Their Web site implies support only for 32-bit Vista
>> > (by mentioning 64-bit XP explicitly, but NOT 64-bit Vista). Does it support
>> > 64-bit?
>> >
>> > Thanks for your input! -Doug
>> >

>> What was the backup technique you were expecting?
>> Almost all backup software are designed for a full, followed by incremental backups.
>> that way you only backup the second, third, etc. the files that changed.
>> Except for compressing the files to save space, I don't see your problem.
>> Maybe you did not explain it correctly.
>>
>> Remember, you really hope you never need your backup.

RSudds

Re: Incremental backups = full hard disk drive (sooner or later)
I selected shadow backup for changes since my last backup, it looks a all the
files and then has started backing up files I know haven't changed (unless
Picassa changes pictures by looking at them in the viewer). What is the 3rd
party program you use?

"Richard in AZ" wrote:

> I prefer a 3rd party backup program and cannot discuss the built-in Vista backup software, but if you are not getting a 14 DVD backup, then you are not getting a true incremental backup and most likely are not running the program correctly. Even a "Full Backup" should not take 14 DVDs,
>
> "RSudds" <RSudds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D2247CB-362D-450E-B6F5-83D5E31C9E42@microsoft.com...
> > But it doesn't seem truely incremental. Right now Vista is happily backing
> > my daughters pictures (who went to college a month ago and hasn't touched any
> > of the files since the last backup). Why does the third "incremental" backup
> > take 14 DVDs (and about 15 hours, unless you sit and watch) just like the
> > first backup?

> >> What was the backup technique you were expecting?
> >> Almost all backup software are designed for a full, followed by incremental backups.
> >> that way you only backup the second, third, etc. the files that changed.
> >> Except for compressing the files to save space, I don't see your problem.
> >> Maybe you did not explain it correctly.
> >>
> >> Remember, you really hope you never need your backup.

Richard in AZ

Re: Incremental backups = full hard disk drive (sooner or later)
Answer at the bottom

"RSudds" <RSudds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:85E91904-7BA2-42A6-8D07-279DB42B8818@microsoft.com...
>I selected shadow backup for changes since my last backup, it looks a all the
> files and then has started backing up files I know haven't changed (unless
> Picassa changes pictures by looking at them in the viewer). What is the 3rd
> party program you use?
>
> "Richard in AZ" wrote:
>
>> I prefer a 3rd party backup program and cannot discuss the built-in Vista backup software, but if you are not getting a 14 DVD backup, then you are not getting a true incremental backup and most likely are not running the program correctly. Even a "Full Backup" should not take 14 DVDs,
>>
>> "RSudds" <RSudds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D2247CB-362D-450E-B6F5-83D5E31C9E42@microsoft.com...
>> > But it doesn't seem truely incremental. Right now Vista is happily backing
>> > my daughters pictures (who went to college a month ago and hasn't touched any
>> > of the files since the last backup). Why does the third "incremental" backup
>> > take 14 DVDs (and about 15 hours, unless you sit and watch) just like the
>> > first backup?

I happened to pick Genie Backup Manager
But any of the following are good.
Genie Backup Manager www.genie-soft.com