Restore point size

davdun75

Restore point size

From command line vssadmin list shadowstorage, my restore point (shadow
copy storage) space is 19.531GB, allocated space is 14.902GB, used space
is 14.077GB. However, I can only see TWO System Checkpoint restore
points in System Restore. Is this normal? Does the info for two restore
points really take that much space? I can't restore to anything earlier
than a couple of days ago, to the first of the two System Checkpoints...
c:\ 197GB total, 105GB free (primary partition in SATA 320GB HD)

--
davdun75
Paul Montgomery

Re: Restore point size
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 14:06:14 -0500, davdun75 <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>From command line vssadmin list shadowstorage, my restore point (shadow
>copy storage) space is 19.531GB, allocated space is 14.902GB, used space
>is 14.077GB. However, I can only see TWO System Checkpoint restore
>points in System Restore. Is this normal? Does the info for two restore
>points really take that much space? I can't restore to anything earlier
>than a couple of days ago, to the first of the two System Checkpoints...
>c:\ 197GB total, 105GB free (primary partition in SATA 320GB HD)

Check the box that shows more than 5 days of restore points.

You should be able to get 20-25 points in that space - MORE than
enough.

If you only have two, then you must not leave your computer on very
long... true?
Rick Rogers

Re: Restore point size
vssadmin list shadows

The above command will show the actual points that are currently available.
In the UI dialog advacned settings, you may need to enable the line to show
older restore points.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"davdun75" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> From command line vssadmin list shadowstorage, my restore point (shadow
> copy storage) space is 19.531GB, allocated space is 14.902GB, used space
> is 14.077GB. However, I can only see TWO System Checkpoint restore
> points in System Restore. Is this normal? Does the info for two restore
> points really take that much space? I can't restore to anything earlier
> than a couple of days ago, to the first of the two System Checkpoints...
> c:\ 197GB total, 105GB free (primary partition in SATA 320GB HD)
>

> --
> davdun75

CJSnet

Re: Restore point size
I have the same problem, and cannot see any option to show older restore
points. I have 16GB taken up by points, but only 2 points seem to be
showing in the restore window.

Is it possible that each point takes up 8GB? :-S
--
Thanks,
CJSnet

Recommended:
* http://search.superhighstreet.com - Finds anything or they pay!
* http://www.superhighstreet.com - Beat the crowds with Virtual
Streetscapes

[remove 'teeth' to e-mail me]

"davdun75" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> From command line vssadmin list shadowstorage, my restore point (shadow
> copy storage) space is 19.531GB, allocated space is 14.902GB, used space
> is 14.077GB. However, I can only see TWO System Checkpoint restore
> points in System Restore. Is this normal? Does the info for two restore
> points really take that much space? I can't restore to anything earlier
> than a couple of days ago, to the first of the two System Checkpoints...
> c:\ 197GB total, 105GB free (primary partition in SATA 320GB HD)
>

> --
> davdun75

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Restore point size
"CJSnet" <usenet@TEETHthe-simpson.tv> wrote in message
>I have the same problem, and cannot see any option to show older restore
>points. I have 16GB taken up by points, but only 2 points seem to be
>showing in the restore window.
>
> Is it possible that each point takes up 8GB? :-S
> --
> Thanks,
> CJSnet
>
> Recommended:
> * http://search.superhighstreet.com - Finds anything or they pay!
> * http://www.superhighstreet.com - Beat the crowds with Virtual
> Streetscapes
>
> [remove 'teeth' to e-mail me]
>
> "davdun75" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> From command line vssadmin list shadowstorage, my restore point (shadow
>> copy storage) space is 19.531GB, allocated space is 14.902GB, used space
>> is 14.077GB. However, I can only see TWO System Checkpoint restore
>> points in System Restore. Is this normal? Does the info for two restore
>> points really take that much space? I can't restore to anything earlier
>> than a couple of days ago, to the first of the two System Checkpoints...
>> c:\ 197GB total, 105GB free (primary partition in SATA 320GB HD)
>>

>> --
>> davdun75

Yes. There is a lot of info stored..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

davdun75

Re: Restore point size

Thanks for keeping this thread alive, and for your response. I have
since discovered that when I use CCleaner, my restore points are removed
- I bet that most "privacy" software will do this. I like CCleaner but
have to be careful what NOT to clean...

--
davdun75
Bo

Re: Restore point size
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 20:24:47 -0000, "CJSnet"
<usenet@TEETHthe-simpson.tv> wrote:

>I have the same problem, and cannot see any option to show older restore
>points. I have 16GB taken up by points, but only 2 points seem to be
>showing in the restore window.
>
>Is it possible that each point takes up 8GB? :-S

What defragger are you using? If it isn't VSS-compatible, yes, it is
possible that points will be HUGE.
Bo

Re: Restore point size
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:55:12 -0600, davdun75 <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for keeping this thread alive, and for your response. I have
>since discovered that when I use CCleaner, my restore points are removed
>- I bet that most "privacy" software will do this. I like CCleaner but
>have to be careful what NOT to clean...

I use it several times daily and NEVER had it remove any restore
points.

You are doing something wrong.
davdun75

Re: Restore point size

Any chance you'd share with us how you maintain your restore points?
CCleaner aside?

--
davdun75
Bo

Re: Restore point size
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 19:22:53 -0600, davdun75 <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>Any chance you'd share with us how you maintain your restore points?
>CCleaner aside?

ME (you're one of those who doesn't quote what you are replying to, so
it's all guesswork)?

They maintain themselves without me doing a thing.

You might check to see how much space you have reserved for them:

http://www.petri.co.il/change_amount... _in_vista.htm