RAM

Dulce

RAM
Hello
I hope you can help me with an issue :
My PC is Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9450 2.66GHz windows Vista Ultimate 32
bits 8,00GB ram. My brother wants my 2 2GB memory dim because he says 32
bits systems don't recognize RAM over 4GB.
The system says 8GB, and the motherboard Asus
P5E CHIPSET X38 supports 8GB. Is he right and I have 4 more GB Ram for
nothing, or is the ram ayhow helpfull and I showld keep it as it is ?

Thankx

Maria Dulce

Rick Rogers

Re: RAM
Hi Maria,

The 32-bit version of Vista cannot use more than 4GB of physical memory due
to address space limitations inherent in its design. You would need the
64-bit version in order to make use of the additional 4GB of memory. Vista
SP1 will report the amount of installed memory, but it can only make use of
the first 4GB.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Dulce" <dulce@microsoftdiscussion.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> I hope you can help me with an issue :
> My PC is Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9450 2.66GHz windows Vista Ultimate 32
> bits 8,00GB ram. My brother wants my 2 2GB memory dim because he says 32
> bits systems don't recognize RAM over 4GB.
> The system says 8GB, and the motherboard Asus
> P5E CHIPSET X38 supports 8GB. Is he right and I have 4 more GB Ram for
> nothing, or is the ram ayhow helpfull and I showld keep it as it is ?
>
> Thankx
>
> Maria Dulce

Victek

Re: RAM
> Hello
> I hope you can help me with an issue :
> My PC is Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9450 2.66GHz windows Vista Ultimate 32
> bits 8,00GB ram. My brother wants my 2 2GB memory dim because he says 32
> bits systems don't recognize RAM over 4GB.
> The system says 8GB, and the motherboard Asus
> P5E CHIPSET X38 supports 8GB. Is he right and I have 4 more GB Ram for
> nothing, or is the ram ayhow helpfull and I showld keep it as it is ?
>
> Thankx
>
> Maria Dulce

Unfortunately 4 gigs is the maximum that a 32-bit OS can use. In fact,
because some of the address spaces are reserved for hardware (such as the
ram on the video card) the OS actually only has 3.X gigs available to it.
Try reducing the ram to four gigs and observe your PC's performance - you
should not see any difference. 64-bit OS's exist, but there are still
compatibility issues. They are the future though, so you're brother may
have to return the ram in a year or two <g>.

Mark H

Re: RAM
I, and probably many others, would have to say Vista x64 has come a long way
on the compatibility issue. I have yet to run into a problem with x64
compatibility since Vista was released.

"Victek" <Victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Hello
> > I hope you can help me with an issue :
> > My PC is Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9450 2.66GHz windows Vista Ultimate 32
> > bits 8,00GB ram. My brother wants my 2 2GB memory dim because he says

32
> > bits systems don't recognize RAM over 4GB.
> > The system says 8GB, and the motherboard Asus
> > P5E CHIPSET X38 supports 8GB. Is he right and I have 4 more GB Ram for
> > nothing, or is the ram ayhow helpfull and I showld keep it as it is ?
> >
> > Thankx
> >
> > Maria Dulce
> >

> Unfortunately 4 gigs is the maximum that a 32-bit OS can use. In fact,
> because some of the address spaces are reserved for hardware (such as the
> ram on the video card) the OS actually only has 3.X gigs available to it.
> Try reducing the ram to four gigs and observe your PC's performance - you
> should not see any difference. 64-bit OS's exist, but there are still
> compatibility issues. They are the future though, so you're brother may
> have to return the ram in a year or two <g>.

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: RAM
"Mark H" <jmhonzell@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
> I, and probably many others, would have to say Vista x64 has come a long
> way
> on the compatibility issue. I have yet to run into a problem with x64
> compatibility since Vista was released.
>

> "Victek" <Victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> > Hello
>> > I hope you can help me with an issue :
>> > My PC is Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9450 2.66GHz windows Vista Ultimate 32
>> > bits 8,00GB ram. My brother wants my 2 2GB memory dim because he says

> 32
>> > bits systems don't recognize RAM over 4GB.
>> > The system says 8GB, and the motherboard Asus
>> > P5E CHIPSET X38 supports 8GB. Is he right and I have 4 more GB Ram for
>> > nothing, or is the ram ayhow helpfull and I showld keep it as it is ?
>> >
>> > Thankx
>> >
>> > Maria Dulce
>> >

>> Unfortunately 4 gigs is the maximum that a 32-bit OS can use. In fact,
>> because some of the address spaces are reserved for hardware (such as the
>> ram on the video card) the OS actually only has 3.X gigs available to it.
>> Try reducing the ram to four gigs and observe your PC's performance - you
>> should not see any difference. 64-bit OS's exist, but there are still
>> compatibility issues. They are the future though, so you're brother may
>> have to return the ram in a year or two <g>.

Try archiving mail from Outlook into OneNote..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Phillips

Re: RAM
He's right as long as you use a 32-bit OS, but you have a x86-64 CPU w/ the
X38 chipset! You should/could install Vista 64-bit and hence use more than 4
GB RAM.
Michael

"Dulce" <dulce@microsoftdiscussion.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> I hope you can help me with an issue :
> My PC is Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9450 2.66GHz windows Vista Ultimate 32
> bits 8,00GB ram. My brother wants my 2 2GB memory dim because he says 32
> bits systems don't recognize RAM over 4GB.
> The system says 8GB, and the motherboard Asus
> P5E CHIPSET X38 supports 8GB. Is he right and I have 4 more GB Ram for
> nothing, or is the ram ayhow helpfull and I showld keep it as it is ?
>
> Thankx
>
> Maria Dulce

Paul Montgomery

Re: RAM
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:25:16 -0400, "Phillips" <afn18721@afn.org>
wrote:

>He's right as long as you use a 32-bit OS, but you have a x86-64 CPU w/ the
>X38 chipset! You should/could install Vista 64-bit and hence use more than 4
>GB RAM.
>Michael

And could then end up with more problems than the extra 4G of RAM is
worth.
f/fgeorge

Re: RAM
On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 19:40:09 -0500, Paul Montgomery
<i.m.nonnymous@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:25:16 -0400, "Phillips" <afn18721@afn.org>
>wrote:
>
>>He's right as long as you use a 32-bit OS, but you have a x86-64 CPU w/ the
>>X38 chipset! You should/could install Vista 64-bit and hence use more than 4
>>GB RAM.
>>Michael

>And could then end up with more problems than the extra 4G of RAM is
>worth.

ABSOLUTELY correct! The reason the whole World has not gone to 64 bit
Vista is due to several things, but software compatability is a
biggie!
Mark H

Re: RAM
Not sure why you believe this to be an x64 or Vista issue. Sounds like an
Office issue.

I agree some individuals may have incompatibility issues. There are simply
too many different standards out there. But, those same individuals might be
surprised to know the same issues occur with the x86 version at nearly the
same frequency.

I simply stated I have had no compatibility issues even though I've changed
hard drives, memory, CPU and installed various software items over the last
year and one-half. This will not be the case for everyone. But, it is not
the issue it used to be with XPx64.

> Not sure why you believe this to be an x64 or Vista issue. Sounds like an
> Office issue.
>
> I agree some individuals may have incompatibility issues. There are simply
> too many different standards out there. But, those same individuals might
> be
> surprised to know the same issues occur with the x86 version at nearly the
> same frequency.
>
> I simply stated I have had no compatibility issues even though I've
> changed
> hard drives, memory, CPU and installed various software items over the
> last
> year and one-half. This will not be the case for everyone. But, it is not
> the issue it used to be with XPx64.
>

> "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@remove_mvps.com> wrote in message
>> "Mark H" <jmhonzell@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > I, and probably many others, would have to say Vista x64 has come a
>> > long
>> > way
>> > on the compatibility issue. I have yet to run into a problem with x64
>> > compatibility since Vista was released.
>> >

>> > "Victek" <Victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> 32

> says
>> > 32

> for

> the

> it.

> you

> may
>> >>

>> Try archiving mail from Outlook into OneNote..
>>

>> --
>> Mike Hall - MVP
>> How to construct a good post..
>> http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
>> How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc
>> Mike's Window - My Blog..
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx

Of course it is an x64 issue.. there is no driver for the function available
for x64, but it works well enough in 32bit versions..

Hardware compatibility is being taken way more seriously than it was for
XP64, at least as far as what is in the case, but there are still issues for
some peripheral devices, and software.

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..