task manager problem

pyraxia

task manager problem

Hi fellow Vista owners. I have a problem that I haven't found an answer
to yet, perhaps one of you can help. My vista task manager has only a
task tab, no processes etc. It's nothing like the one on xp was like,
just bare bones. I desperately need to terminate a process (m s
antivirus - which, ironically is malware that crept past my mc afee and
windows defender) so that I can delete the exe file. Right now my main
pc keeps crashing every few minutes, no time for a scan or anything so I
need to know where to find the processes. Sorry for going on, I'm a bit
stressed by it. Hope someone can help and thanks in advance.

--
pyraxia
locoeng

Re: task manager problem

Download and run Malwarebytes Antimalware, run an update and post
results here ~ 'Malwarebytes.org' (http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php)

The full version is $25, but you can use the free version for as long
as you wish and it still has lots of useful features.

You can also try killing the process with Process Explorer ~ 'Process
Explorer'
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx)

If you can't delete the file you can try to delete it with unlocker ~
'UNLOCKER 1.8.7 BY CEDRICK 'NITCH' COLLOMB'
(http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/)

--
locoeng
pyraxia

Re: task manager problem

thanks for advice. No time to install and run any programs before the
system crashes. Still wondering where all the tabs (inc. processes )
have gone from my task manager.

--
pyraxia
locoeng

Re: task manager problem

Can you boot into safe mode?

EDIT: Try double clicking on an empty space next to where the tabs
used to be.

--
locoeng
pyraxia

Re: task manager problem

Thanks for the help. Will try it out tomorrow. Main problem is the pc
only runs for 3 minutes before crashing. Wish I could understand why my
yask manager is different form everyone elses. Oh well, bye for now

--
pyraxia
locoeng

Re: task manager problem

Make sure you see my edit above..."try double clicking an empty area
where your tabe used to be." Good luck.

--
locoeng
Richard Urban

Re: task manager problem
Your task manager is different because YOU altered its view. This was
possible in Windows XP also.

Just double click on the top blank area to change the views.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"pyraxia" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Thanks for the help. Will try it out tomorrow. Main problem is the pc
> only runs for 3 minutes before crashing. Wish I could understand why my
> yask manager is different form everyone elses. Oh well, bye for now
>

> --
> pyraxia

pyraxia

Re: task manager problem

Good morning from Ireland. You're a genius! Started in safe mode and
used system restore to restart before the malware. You were right about
my task manager. I've only had this pc a few months and had no reason to
use the manager before. It was in some minimal status and when I double
clicked on the top, presto, the task manager i knowand love so well is
back. I was too freaked yesterday with the constant crash/reboot
sequence to think straight and you've come to my aid. Nice one. Thanks.

--
pyraxia
locoeng

Re: task manager problem