shell32.dll not found - Vista Home Premium won't start!

Pud

shell32.dll not found - Vista Home Premium won't start!
I have a PC to sort out which has the following issue:

On starting up, and before the Windows logo displays it throws up an error
message:
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Title bar text: LogonUI.exe
This application has failed to start because SHELL32.dll was not found.
RE-installing the application may fix the problem.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Clicking on [OK] then displays the Windows logo, followed by the coloured
background with 'Windows Vista Home Premium' at the bottom, following which
on a black screen I get two error messages. The first is the same as that
above except that the file quoted in the title bar is Explorer.exe. The
second error message appearing behind this one advises that the 'Task
Schedulaer Engine' has stopped responding, clicking [Close program] on this
(and further) error messages I get explorere.exe has stopped working, and
Windows Problem Reporting and stopped working.

Starting in Safe Mode I get to the black and empty desktop with the Safe
Mode labels in the corners but nothing appears to be happening. Entering
'Task Manager' via Ctrl-Alt-Del again gives the same sort of error but this
time the Title Bar of the error box (referring to SHELL32.dll) is headed
Taskmgr.exe.

I have tried the Vista Startup Repair but that had no effect.

SHELL32.DLL is the same size and data and time in System32 as it is in
Dllcache.

Any ideas how to sort this out? Is it a re-install? The machine is an HP
and has a recovery partition.

An early replay appreciated. TIA
Rick Rogers

Re: shell32.dll not found - Vista Home Premium won't start!
Hi,

Try booting to a command line, then run

sfc /scannow

This should verify and replace damaged system files, of which you have at
least one.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Pud" <Pud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a PC to sort out which has the following issue:
>
> On starting up, and before the Windows logo displays it throws up an error
> message:
> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
> Title bar text: LogonUI.exe
> This application has failed to start because SHELL32.dll was not found.
> RE-installing the application may fix the problem.
> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
> Clicking on [OK] then displays the Windows logo, followed by the coloured
> background with 'Windows Vista Home Premium' at the bottom, following
> which
> on a black screen I get two error messages. The first is the same as that
> above except that the file quoted in the title bar is Explorer.exe. The
> second error message appearing behind this one advises that the 'Task
> Schedulaer Engine' has stopped responding, clicking [Close program] on
> this
> (and further) error messages I get explorere.exe has stopped working, and
> Windows Problem Reporting and stopped working.
>
> Starting in Safe Mode I get to the black and empty desktop with the Safe
> Mode labels in the corners but nothing appears to be happening. Entering
> 'Task Manager' via Ctrl-Alt-Del again gives the same sort of error but
> this
> time the Title Bar of the error box (referring to SHELL32.dll) is headed
> Taskmgr.exe.
>
> I have tried the Vista Startup Repair but that had no effect.
>
> SHELL32.DLL is the same size and data and time in System32 as it is in
> Dllcache.
>
> Any ideas how to sort this out? Is it a re-install? The machine is an HP
> and has a recovery partition.
>
> An early replay appreciated. TIA

Pud

Re: shell32.dll not found - Vista Home Premium won't start!
Yes it would if I could get to a command prompt. When I select that option
from the menu it gets so far but doesn't display the Command Prompt window.

I expect there is not a lot else to do but to reformat and re-install !!

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Try booting to a command line, then run
>
> sfc /scannow
>
> This should verify and replace damaged system files, of which you have at
> least one.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Pud" <Pud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a PC to sort out which has the following issue:
> >
> > On starting up, and before the Windows logo displays it throws up an error
> > message:
> > = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
> > Title bar text: LogonUI.exe
> > This application has failed to start because SHELL32.dll was not found.
> > RE-installing the application may fix the problem.
> > = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
> > Clicking on [OK] then displays the Windows logo, followed by the coloured
> > background with 'Windows Vista Home Premium' at the bottom, following
> > which
> > on a black screen I get two error messages. The first is the same as that
> > above except that the file quoted in the title bar is Explorer.exe. The
> > second error message appearing behind this one advises that the 'Task
> > Schedulaer Engine' has stopped responding, clicking [Close program] on
> > this
> > (and further) error messages I get explorere.exe has stopped working, and
> > Windows Problem Reporting and stopped working.
> >
> > Starting in Safe Mode I get to the black and empty desktop with the Safe
> > Mode labels in the corners but nothing appears to be happening. Entering
> > 'Task Manager' via Ctrl-Alt-Del again gives the same sort of error but
> > this
> > time the Title Bar of the error box (referring to SHELL32.dll) is headed
> > Taskmgr.exe.
> >
> > I have tried the Vista Startup Repair but that had no effect.
> >
> > SHELL32.DLL is the same size and data and time in System32 as it is in
> > Dllcache.
> >
> > Any ideas how to sort this out? Is it a re-install? The machine is an HP
> > and has a recovery partition.
> >
> > An early replay appreciated. TIA

Rick Rogers

Re: shell32.dll not found - Vista Home Premium won't start!
When you hit ctrl+shift+escape, can you get task manager? If so, run it from
the "new task" button on the applications tab.

--

newsD70AB38-729D-427F-BBBA-DB37A2B4AD39@microsoft.com...
> Yes it would if I could get to a command prompt. When I select that
> option
> from the menu it gets so far but doesn't display the Command Prompt
> window.
>
> I expect there is not a lot else to do but to reformat and re-install !!
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Try booting to a command line, then run
>>
>> sfc /scannow
>>
>> This should verify and replace damaged system files, of which you have at
>> least one.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Pud" <Pud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a PC to sort out which has the following issue:
>> >
>> > On starting up, and before the Windows logo displays it throws up an
>> > error
>> > message:
>> > = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
>> > Title bar text: LogonUI.exe
>> > This application has failed to start because SHELL32.dll was not found.
>> > RE-installing the application may fix the problem.
>> > = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
>> > Clicking on [OK] then displays the Windows logo, followed by the
>> > coloured
>> > background with 'Windows Vista Home Premium' at the bottom, following
>> > which
>> > on a black screen I get two error messages. The first is the same as
>> > that
>> > above except that the file quoted in the title bar is Explorer.exe.
>> > The
>> > second error message appearing behind this one advises that the 'Task
>> > Schedulaer Engine' has stopped responding, clicking [Close program] on
>> > this
>> > (and further) error messages I get explorere.exe has stopped working,
>> > and
>> > Windows Problem Reporting and stopped working.
>> >
>> > Starting in Safe Mode I get to the black and empty desktop with the
>> > Safe
>> > Mode labels in the corners but nothing appears to be happening.
>> > Entering
>> > 'Task Manager' via Ctrl-Alt-Del again gives the same sort of error but
>> > this
>> > time the Title Bar of the error box (referring to SHELL32.dll) is
>> > headed
>> > Taskmgr.exe.
>> >
>> > I have tried the Vista Startup Repair but that had no effect.
>> >
>> > SHELL32.DLL is the same size and data and time in System32 as it is in
>> > Dllcache.
>> >
>> > Any ideas how to sort this out? Is it a re-install? The machine is an
>> > HP
>> > and has a recovery partition.
>> >
>> > An early replay appreciated. TIA

silkko

Re: shell32.dll not found - Vista Home Premium won't start!

Well I had the same problem, but i had ubuntu hardy installed on my
computer, so what i did was i accessed my windows local disk, went to
system32, then to shell32.dll which i had renamed shell32.old. all i did
was to change to old back to dll and that was it. it works good too.

Also you could download the dll file by searching google and place it
in there by using Ubuntu or any linux os that has access to your windows
local disk.

--
silkko
silkko's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/silkko.htm