disc clean up problem

yorkshire lass

disc clean up problem

Twice, after using Vista clean up, I have had to use the installation
disc to do a repair and Windows has added files , with several restarts
before I can boot up normally. I cannot understand why using the Vista
clean up I should have to do this. Is it me doing somethimng wrong by
doing a clean up when it is not needed or is the Vista clean up facility
too aggresive? How often should I do a clean up and defrag? Grateful for
any help and advice.

--
yorkshire lass

__________________
Windows Vista Home Premium
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core Processor
260 GHS ; 2048 RAM 250 GB
external HD 250 GB
Kaspersky Internet Security
Firefox browser;Noscript.
Windows Live Mail Incredimail; Hotmail;
Logitechwireless keyboard/Mouse
Epson Stylus DX4000
Brink

Re: disc clean up problem

Hi Yorkshire Lass,

When you ran Disk Cleanup, did you have any of the error reporting
items listed in it with large GB size like in this tutorial?

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/17...g-bug-fix.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
DDW

Re: disc clean up problem
yorkshire lass <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>Twice, after using Vista clean up, I have had to use the installation
>disc to do a repair and Windows has added files , with several restarts
>before I can boot up normally. I cannot understand why using the Vista
>clean up I should have to do this. Is it me doing somethimng wrong by
>doing a clean up when it is not needed or is the Vista clean up facility
>too aggresive? How often should I do a clean up and defrag? Grateful for
>any help and advice.

Something is SERIOUSLY wrong. The cleanup utility doesn't delete
system files.

What kind of "repair" have you had to run?

As for defragging, let Windows do it on its own. Running it on demand
all the time is unnecessary, and will just require your disk to do
work that it doesn't need to do. Same with frequent runs of CHKDSK.

DDW
No email please
yorkshire lass

Re: disc clean up problem

Thanks for replying so quickly! As far as I can remember there was
nothing that was even as big as 1GB. There was a notice about files that
could be deleted if they had not been modified (?) for over a week. I
deleted these because I thought it would be ok but maybe I was too
hasty.

--
yorkshire lass

__________________
Windows Vista Home Premium
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core Processor
260 GHS ; 2048 RAM 250 GB
external HD 250 GB
Kaspersky Internet Security
Firefox browser;Noscript.
Windows Live Mail Incredimail; Hotmail;
Logitechwireless keyboard/Mouse
Epson Stylus DX4000
Mick Murphy

Re: disc clean up problem
That would have been the temp files that you deleted.
Windows always say you can delete them after a week.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia

"yorkshire lass" wrote:

> Thanks for replying so quickly! As far as I can remember there was
> nothing that was even as big as 1GB. There was a notice about files that
> could be deleted if they had not been modified (?) for over a week. I
> deleted these because I thought it would be ok but maybe I was too
> hasty.
>

> --
> yorkshire lass
>
> __________________
> Windows Vista Home Premium
> AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core Processor
> 260 GHS ; 2048 RAM 250 GB
> external HD 250 GB
> Kaspersky Internet Security
> Firefox browser;Noscript.
> Windows Live Mail Incredimail; Hotmail;
> Logitechwireless keyboard/Mouse
> Epson Stylus DX4000

LoneStar

Re: disc clean up problem

"DDW" <ddwright@KILLSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message

> As for defragging, let Windows do it on its own. Running it on demand
> all the time is unnecessary, and will just require your disk to do
> work that it doesn't need to do. Same with frequent runs of CHKDSK.

OK, perhaps a REAL dumb question regarding your defragging comment above.
My Vista system is set NOT to run scheduled defrags. Nevertheless, the hard
disk seems to thrash occasionally (indexing is off too) and whenever I
initialize the defrag process it responds by telling me my file system
(defrag status) is fine.

So............ does it do a defrag on its own anyway? Thanks.

EW

DDW

Re: disc clean up problem
"LoneStar" <e_wyatt_rem_@excite.com> wrote:

>"DDW" <ddwright@KILLSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
>news:1onlb4hottt8g61i8kcnhrj1nkjm1u73dc@4ax.com.. .
>>
>> As for defragging, let Windows do it on its own. Running it on demand
>> all the time is unnecessary, and will just require your disk to do
>> work that it doesn't need to do. Same with frequent runs of CHKDSK.
>>

>OK, perhaps a REAL dumb question regarding your defragging comment above.
>My Vista system is set NOT to run scheduled defrags. Nevertheless, the hard
>disk seems to thrash occasionally (indexing is off too) and whenever I
>initialize the defrag process it responds by telling me my file system
>(defrag status) is fine.
>
>So............ does it do a defrag on its own anyway? Thanks.

If you set it to never defrag ("Run on a Shedule" is not checked),
then it won't run. When it says defragging isn't necessary, that
doesn't mean that there is no fragmented files, it just means that the
fragmentation isn't enough to worry about.

As to the reason for the "thrashing"... can't say. Just know it's not
the defragmenter. About indexing: if you have more than one
disk/partition, double-check all to make sure they aren't set to be
indexed. I shutdown the Search service - thinking no indexing would
ever occur after that - and for some reason or other one of my disks
magically got set for indexing, and indexing occurred.

DDW
No email please
Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

Re: disc clean up problem
Serious Disk Cleanup problem caused by broken registration - The
Winhelponline Blog:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/se...-registration/

--
Regards,