WinSAT for Vista Performance Index fails

Steveo

WinSAT for Vista Performance Index fails
At some point, my WinSAT refuses to complete. I have Vista Home Premium
SP1, been through numerous alleged registry fixes, uninstalled
everything that has ever been installed that has to do with codec's or
multimedia, etc.etc.

My system has a Radeon 4870, Creative X-Fi soundcard with the latest
drivers, Vista Home Premium 32 bit, 4 gigs of ram. No other problems
other than this annoying system index isn't rated.

I've tried earlier restore points to no avail. I also tried installing
(and uninstalling/reinstalling) Windows Media Encoder 9 series with no
luck. Without saying, I've also uninstalled my video drivers and
re-installed them without help.

When I run the Windows Index Experience tool, it finishes with a dialog
that states: "Cannot complete assessment. The assessment or other
operation did not complete successfully..." etc.etc.

The WinSAT.log lists only the following error:
============================
6445571 (5480) - winsat\main.cpp:1161: > Running Assessment: media
'-input {winsatencode.wmv} -encode {winsat.prx}'
6445961 (5480) - winsat\main.cpp:1430: > Assessment FAILED due to an error

If I run winsat formal -v, the log for the above section lists:
============================
> Run Time 00:00:44.07
> Running: Media Decode/Encode Assessment v1.0.0.0 '-input

C:\Windows\Performanc
e\WinSAT\winsatencode.wmv -encode
C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\\winsat.prx -v'
Initializing COM.
Creating temporary file for encoding output...
Temporary output file "C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Temp\wst51E8.tmp "
created.
Creating temporary file for ETW kernel trace...
Temporary trace file "C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Temp\wst51E9.tmp "
created.
Creating filter graph.
Creating encoder, saving to temporary file.
Disabling file sink.
FAIL: mediautils.cpp @ 592: 0x80040241 == VFW_E_CANNOT_LOAD_SOURCE_FILTER
(The source filter for this file could not be loaded.)
FAIL: mediatest.cpp @ 490: 0x80040241 == VFW_E_CANNOT_LOAD_SOURCE_FILTER
(The source filter for this file could not be loaded.)
Error: WinSAT failed to connect the input file to the WMV encoder.
Deleting temporary output file
"C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Temp\wst51E8.tmp ".
Deleting temporary ETW trace
"C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Temp\wst51E9.tmp "...

> Run Time 00:00:00.39
> MOOBE Run Time 00:00:46.11
> Running: Media Foundation Playback Assessment v1.0.0.0 '-input

C:\Windows\Perf
ormance\WinSAT\winsat.wmv -nopmp -v'
Creating temporary files for ETW tracing...
Temporary trace files created.
Initializing COM.
Initializing Media Foundation.
Creating playback window.
Resolving source.
Creating session for source.
Attaching event sinks.
Building topology.
Resizing window.
Starting kernel logger.
Starting EVR logger.
Starting playback.
Waiting for finish.
Finished!
Stopping EVR logger.
Stopping kernel logger.
Opening kernel trace log...
Opening EVR trace log...
Processing kernel trace log...
-------------------------------

I wish I had the source code from above. Anyone have any suggestions
aside from "reinstall" ?

Steveo

Re: WinSAT for Vista Performance Index fails
So, no one has had WinSAT stop working for them?

Steveo wrote:
> [...]

> Creating temporary files for ETW tracing...
> Temporary trace files created.
> Initializing COM.
> Initializing Media Foundation.
> Creating playback window.
> Resolving source.
> Creating session for source.
> Attaching event sinks.
> Building topology.
> Resizing window.
> Starting kernel logger.
> Starting EVR logger.
> Starting playback.
> Waiting for finish.
> Finished!
> Stopping EVR logger.
> Stopping kernel logger.
> Opening kernel trace log...
> Opening EVR trace log...
> Processing kernel trace log...
> -------------------------------
>
> I wish I had the source code from above. Anyone have any suggestions

Charvelguy

Re: WinSAT for Vista Performance Index fails

I also have Vista Home Prem 32 bit, and the assessment tool has also
stopped working. Looking for workabout: my log;

*problem signature
*problem event name: bex
application name: winsat.exe
application version: 6.0.6001.18000
application timestamp: 47918beb
fault module name: stackhash_e52f
fault module version: 0.0.0.0
fault module timestamp: 00000000
exception offset: ffeeff51
exception code: c0000005
exception data: 00000008
os version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
locale id: 1033
additional information 1: e52f
additional information 2: e98dfca8bcf81bc1740adb135579ad53
additional information 3: 860f
additional information 4: 6eabdd9e0dc94904be3b39a1c0583635

--
Charvelguy

eagle-eye is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: WinSAT for Vista Performance Index fails
I have exactly the same problem. Could it be SP1? The WEI worked some time ago with the same video card.
Rolando E Creagh, MD

Re: WinSAT for Vista Performance Index fails
Hi Stevo. Sorry I do not have an answer, just a similar question that
aparently nobdy wants to tackle. So I have been monitoring you. Even my
question fails to show. Perhaps we can help each other.
Here is my problem:
-----------------------
Good day gentlemen.

news:E6WdnURAL6XMQF3VnZ2dnUVZ_jGdnZ2d@earthlink.co m...

--
R. E. Creagh, MD FACS
Heartburn Centre Des Moines
HEARTBURN?? WHY??!!
Demand a Peace Conclave!

Ramesh Kumar MVP

Re: WinSAT for Vista Performance Index fails

navigate to: C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore
delete all *.xml files...
Run elevated CMD and excute the following command.

--
Ramesh Kumar MVP

RAMESH KUMAR
Microsoft MVP: 'My MVP Profile'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Ramesh.Kumar)
My Blog: 'It's My Windows' (http://itsmywindows.com)
Ramesh Kumar MVP's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=17
View this thread: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20908

waduraghaati

Re: WinSAT for Vista Performance Index fails

Hello Ramesh. I tried your fix but it doesnt work. I stil get the same
"winsat stopped working" error. please someone help. thanks.

--
waduraghaati
rjklindsay

Re: WinSAT for Vista Performance Index fails

In an attempt to resolve the Winsat issue, I have aquired 3 almost
identical SamsungX50 laptops with the following specs:
1.73Ghz Pentium M, 2GB Ram, ATI Mobility Radeon X600 64Mb video ram.
2.00Ghz Pentium M, 2GB Ram, ATI Mobility Radeon X600 128Mb video ram.
2.13Ghz Pentium M, 2GB Ram, ATI Mobility Radeon X700 128Mb video ram.

All three run Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux just fine.
But, after a fresh install of Vista, only the LOWEST spec machine runs
Aero glass consistently. On the mid-range machine, Glass will
OCASIONALLY work, but only if I repeatedly run Winsat until it passes,
and then reboot. This works for one session only though, so if I reboot
again, I have to repeat this process, which often takes hours. On the
high spec machine, Winsat never completes, so I cant get an assessment
score to run Aero Glass. Swapping screens, ram and harddrives had no
effect, so the issue is with the motherboard, or Vista.
The m

--
rjklindsay
housemaster49

Re: WinSAT for Vista Performance Index fails

yes you can fake the scores. go to
C:/windows/performance/winsat/datastore. click on the .xml file which is
the newest (you can open with notepad but it will look sloppy, i used
dreamweaver). Find the first line with "winspr" which should look like
this

Code:
--------------------
<WinSPR>
<SystemScore>5.9</SystemScore>
<MemoryScore>5.9</MemoryScore>
<CpuScore>5.9</CpuScore>
<CPUSubAggScore>5.9</CPUSubAggScore>
<VideoEncodeScore>5.9</VideoEncodeScore>
<GraphicsScore>5.9</GraphicsScore>
<GamingScore>5.9</GamingScore>
<DiskScore>5.9</DiskScore>

--------------------

you can modify those lines but i don't know if you can enable aero with
that (which is what i tried to do but failed)

--
housemaster49
rjklindsay

Re: WinSAT for Vista Performance Index fails

Thanks for your reply.
I dont actually have this xml file, because winsat always fails, even
during Vista installation. However, after more testing I have found some
another solutions:

(1) It seems Vista doesnt like my ultra high resolution screens: WUXGA
(1920x1200)
The laptops can all run Vista Glass if I downgrade to WXGA (1280x800).
(Yuk!)
Simply setting a lower resolution doesnt work. I have to replace the
screen.
Im guessing that is why all the newest laptops come with crappy WXGA
screens?

(2) I found a very old pre-release beta driver for Vista RC1 from the
SoftPedia website, which do not even need winsat scores to work. I'm
guessing that that part of the driver code was not yet complete, so
Vista cant tell them to turn off glass.
These drivers run Glass, but dont seem to have OpenGL support yet, but
its better than nothing.

However, I have found a solution to this problem too!
During my struggles with Vista drivers, I tried some radical ideas,
like Ubuntu Linux.
As a Windows software developer, Linux scared the crap out of me, but,
to my surprise, I found that Linux Wine can run ALL my favourite Windows
software AND Games, even on my WUXGA screen! And the spinning 3D cube in
the Compiz 3D Desktop looks/works so much better than Vista Glass!
Now I'll much rather switch to Linux, than downgrade my laptop.

--
rjklindsay