Need help about Vista desktop boots slow

emptynix

Need help about Vista desktop boots slow

When I restarted my computer, the desktop loads extremely slow like 3-4
minutes. I could not do anything but wait. My desktop was not slow
before, and it booted up for like 30 secs or may be less. I don't
really shut my PC down all the time, so I don't know when this started.

Quick story of my OCing(*desktop was already slow*)
I OCed my computer to 3.Ghz. I did some stress test also (*'DESKTOP
PICTURE'
(http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n...8Prime95.jpg)*)
pls check the time. Before I went to bed, I put my computer to sleep
mode. When I woke up in the morning, woke my computer up. I saw the
desktop for a few seconds then BSOD(*'PICTURE'
(http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n...DSC01273.jpg)*.)
What I did was I went to bios and loaded the default settings(even in
default settings desktop was still slow).
After two days, I tried to OC again. These are the current set up that
I have in the bios now while I am typing this: '*System Clocks*'
(http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n...lial/bios1.jpg),
'*FSB & Memory Config*'
(http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n...lial/bios2.jpg),
'*CPU Configuration*'
(http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n...lial/bios3.jpg),
'*System Voltages.*'
(http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n...lial/bios4.jpg)
After I save the settings in the bios, the desktop loaded for like
1:35:95(under 2 minutes) faster than before. So, I restarted it again
just to make sure and it was still under 2 minutes. I did some stress
test ('*DESKTOP PICTURE*'
(http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n...808endtest.jpg))
and system is stabled until now. Last night, I ran the memtest86 for 8
hours(stabled), but when I restarted my computer to see if windows would
load slow, the desktop loaded slow 2-3minutes some times like 4 minutes.
However, when I got to the desktop(every restart), it was fast for like
40 secs and became slow again(3 minutes). Once it got slow, I could not
do anything.
I don't have any clue what's going on on my computer.
I updated my Anti-virus and scanned my computer: no viruses
The start up that I have is Bitdefender, Windows sidebar, APC
powerchute, my mice drivers and keyboard driver (I have these since
before.)

Thank you in advance

--
emptynix
Mick Murphy

RE: Need help about Vista desktop boots slow
1. What happens if you set your Bios back to defaults?

2. With Run> msconfig > OK > startup, what Programs are starting up that are
not necessary; as in games, etc.

3. Are you sure all RAM is still working.
Right-click on Computer>Properties> see if it the right amount> 1g or 2G,
whatever still shows up. You can have a failed RAM stick
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"emptynix" wrote:

> When I restarted my computer, the desktop loads extremely slow like 3-4
> minutes. I could not do anything but wait. My desktop was not slow
> before, and it booted up for like 30 secs or may be less. I don't
> really shut my PC down all the time, so I don't know when this started.
>
> Quick story of my OCing(*desktop was already slow*)
> I OCed my computer to 3.Ghz. I did some stress test also (*'DESKTOP
> PICTURE'
> (http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n...8Prime95.jpg)*)
> pls check the time. Before I went to bed, I put my computer to sleep
> mode. When I woke up in the morning, woke my computer up. I saw the
> desktop for a few seconds then BSOD(*'PICTURE'
> (http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n...DSC01273.jpg)*.)
> What I did was I went to bios and loaded the default settings(even in
> default settings desktop was still slow).
> After two days, I tried to OC again. These are the current set up that
> I have in the bios now while I am typing this: '*System Clocks*'
> (http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n...lial/bios1.jpg),
> '*FSB & Memory Config*'
> (http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n...lial/bios2.jpg),
> '*CPU Configuration*'
> (http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n...lial/bios3.jpg),
> '*System Voltages.*'
> (http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n...lial/bios4.jpg)
> After I save the settings in the bios, the desktop loaded for like
> 1:35:95(under 2 minutes) faster than before. So, I restarted it again
> just to make sure and it was still under 2 minutes. I did some stress
> test ('*DESKTOP PICTURE*'
> (http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n...808endtest.jpg))
> and system is stabled until now. Last night, I ran the memtest86 for 8
> hours(stabled), but when I restarted my computer to see if windows would
> load slow, the desktop loaded slow 2-3minutes some times like 4 minutes.
> However, when I got to the desktop(every restart), it was fast for like
> 40 secs and became slow again(3 minutes). Once it got slow, I could not
> do anything.
> I don't have any clue what's going on on my computer.
> I updated my Anti-virus and scanned my computer: no viruses
> The start up that I have is Bitdefender, Windows sidebar, APC
> powerchute, my mice drivers and keyboard driver (I have these since
> before.)
>
> Thank you in advance
>

> --
> emptynix

emptynix

Re: Need help about Vista desktop boots slow

35 views with no replies!

--
emptynix
SIW2

Re: Need help about Vista desktop boots slow

Hi,

Could you use a stopwatch to give us a rough idea of which part of
startup is causing the problem. ?

For example, do you get to the screen which says Welcome and then it
takes ages for the Desktop to appear , or is it taking a long time for
Windows to load ( when the green bars run across the bottom of the
screen), or is it the bootup screen that takes longer ?

SIW2

--
SIW2
emptynix

SIW2;824867 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could you use a stopwatch to give us a rough idea of which part of
> startup is causing the problem. ?
>
> For example, do you get to the screen which says Welcome and then it
> takes ages for the Desktop to appear , or is it taking a long time for
> Windows to load ( when the green bars run across the bottom of the
> screen), or is it the bootup screen that takes longer ?
>
> SIW2

Every thing is normal... I saw the Welcome Screen > desktop. Once I
got to the desktop, it was normal for 40-58 seconds(it varies) after
that it stopped for 3-4 minutes. There is something holding my computer
up. After the 3-4 minutes delayed, everything was back to normal. I
scanned my computer with Bitdefender antivirus(updated), Panda
security(online scanner) and spybot, but nothing came up.

--
emptynix
SIW2

Re: Need help about Vista desktop boots slow

Hi,

OK , so you get to the desktop normally, it seems ok for a short time
then it freezes or slows dramatically for 3 or 4 minutes ?

At that point svchost.exe is making a lot of outbound connections and
other apps. including your antivirus/spyware are trying to update - this
might cause a slight slowdown - you can check by restarting after
disconnecting from the net.

It's more likely to be a conflict between your security apps - if you
have several with so called resident protection, they can fight with
each other over what they see as protected registry keys. I had a
similar problem, tho. not as bad. What security do you have installed ?

You say there wasn't a problem before o'cing so something has changed
since then - It's worth looking in msconfig. to see what is now in
startup.

SIW2

--
SIW2
Diblo

Re: Need help about Vista desktop boots slow

Try also this instructions - '\\"This will solve a big part of the
problem in vista.\\"'
(http://www.vistax64.com/vista-perfor...lem-vista.html)

--
Diblo
Paul Montgomery

Re: Need help about Vista desktop boots slow
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:53:08 -0500, Diblo <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>Try also this instructions - '\\"This will solve a big part of the
>problem in vista.\\"'

"Diblo"... don't give up your day job just yet.
emptynix

Re: Need help about Vista desktop boots slow

> OK , so you get to the desktop normally, it seems ok for a short time
> then it freezes or slows dramatically for 3 or 4 minutes ? yes

Here some picture of what the hanging looks like:
'*Pic1*'
(http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n...l/DSC01311.jpg) i
hovered my mouse pointer to the firefox and moved it away. look at the
firefox icon, the icon was still highlighted even though my mouse
pointer was not there anymore.
'*Pic2*'
(http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n...l/DSC01310.jpg)
the opacity of my sidebar is 20%. look at the mouse pointer, the
pointer was not hovering the gadgets, but they were highlighted.
> At that point svchost.exe is making a lot of outbound connections and
> other apps. including your antivirus/spyware are trying to update - this
> might cause a slight slowdown - you can check by restarting after
> disconnecting from the net. I am lost.. Do you want me to disconnect my internet and restart it?
> It's more likely to be a conflict between your security apps - if you
> have several with so called resident protection, they can fight with
> each other over what they see as protected registry keys. I had a
> similar problem, tho. not as bad. What security do you have installed ? I have Bitdefender Internet Security 2008 and I just installed spybot

last night.
> You say there wasn't a problem before o'cing so something has changed
> since then - It's worth looking in msconfig. to see what is now in
> startup.

'*msconfig 1st page*'
(http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n.../msconfig1.jpg)
'*msconfig 2nd page*'
(http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n.../msconfig2.jpg)

--
emptynix
SIW2

Re: Need help about Vista desktop boots slow

Hi,

I was suggesting a few things that *might* cause startup problems.

Now you have provided all that info, there's something to work with.

Msconfig shows you have a lot of things in startup but I don't know how
this would cause the delayed slowdown you are getting and you don't seem
to be overburdened with security apps.

I'll try and get someone else to have a look at this for you.

SIW2

--
SIW2