Reboot after automatic back-up

tony

Reboot after automatic back-up
Hello,

I have just bought a new PC with Vista, and have noticed that somehow
it rebooted by itself during the night. I have had a look at the Event
Viewer to understand why, and it seems that it is because the
automatic Windows back-up functionality runs at 3am every night. So my
questions are :

* Does it really have to reboot after the back-up ?
* If it does, where can I change the time / frequency where this back-
up runs automatically ?
* Where are these back-up files stored, and how can I prevent that it
grows quickly and eats all my hard disk ?

Thanks
Antoine
Rick Rogers

Re: Reboot after automatic back-up
Hi,

Backup does not run automatically by default,you would have had to enable
it, but System Restore does. It would not, however, cause the system to
reboot (actually neither would). System Restore reserves 15% of the drive
space by default, and the points are stored in a System Volume Information
folder on the root of the drive (this is a hidden system folder, so to see
it requires adjusting your folder options).

It is much more likely that you are set up for Automatic Updates, as many of
these will cause the system to restart to complete installation. By default,
this process would be "on". It is quite possible that what you are seeing in
Event Viewer is the system creating a restore point prior to completing
installation of an update, this would be a normal protection mechanism to
provide you with a stable point should the update installation fail.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"tony" <antoine.leblanc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have just bought a new PC with Vista, and have noticed that somehow
> it rebooted by itself during the night. I have had a look at the Event
> Viewer to understand why, and it seems that it is because the
> automatic Windows back-up functionality runs at 3am every night. So my
> questions are :
>
> * Does it really have to reboot after the back-up ?
> * If it does, where can I change the time / frequency where this back-
> up runs automatically ?
> * Where are these back-up files stored, and how can I prevent that it
> grows quickly and eats all my hard disk ?
>
> Thanks
> Antoine

tony

On 28 août, 12:42, "Rick Rogers" <r...@mvps.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Backup does not run automatically by default,you would have had to enable
> it, but System Restore does. It would not, however, cause the system to
> reboot (actually neither would). System Restore reserves 15% of the drive
> space by default, and the points are stored in a System Volume Information
> folder on the root of the drive (this is a hidden system folder, so to see
> it requires adjusting your folder options).
>
> It is much more likely that you are set up for Automatic Updates, as manyof
> these will cause the system to restart to complete installation. By default,
> this process would be "on". It is quite possible that what you are seeingin
> Event Viewer is the system creating a restore point prior to completing
> installation of an update, this would be a normal protection mechanism to
> provide you with a stable point should the update installation fail.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVPhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help -www.rickrogers.org
> My thoughtshttp://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> "tony" <antoine.lebl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hello,

> > I have just bought a new PC with Vista, and have noticed that somehow
> > it rebooted by itself during the night. I have had a look at the Event
> > Viewer to understand why, and it seems that it is because the
> > automatic Windows back-up functionality runs at 3am every night. So my
> > questions are :

> > * Does it really have to reboot after the back-up ?
> > * If it does, where can I change the time / frequency where this back-
> > up runs automatically ?
> > * Where are these back-up files stored, and how can I prevent that it
> > grows quickly and eats all my hard disk ?

> > Thanks
> > Antoine

yes, that seems to be it, thanks a lot !