Strange startup behavior

md

Strange startup behavior
Anyone ever encountered this in Vista. Ran a disk cleanup and removed
temporary Internet files.

On restart, before reaching the Vista splash screen, Vista Home
Premium said in DOS-style letter font it needed to check the hard disk
drive. It then ran three series of tests -- and deleted files with the
name "index" in them. Scrolled by so fast couldn't quite make it out.

Is this normal behavior? Should I be concerned about the system's
stability going forward?
Ralph

Re: Strange startup behavior
I can't say what those index files were, but I'd be concerned when the OS
says it needs to check the hard disk.
Make sure you have a complete backup ASAP.

It may have just been some read or write error that caused it, but keep on
the lookout for repeats.
Windows does not report disk errors nearly enough, and most people don't
catch what they get.

I do a disk cleanup every week before my virus/spyware scan. In my mind,
it's just less to scan. In reality, it removes most of what the scan needs
to do.

Stability- keep a close watch for more information for at least a month.

"md" <mdkrantz@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Anyone ever encountered this in Vista. Ran a disk cleanup and removed
> temporary Internet files.
>
> On restart, before reaching the Vista splash screen, Vista Home
> Premium said in DOS-style letter font it needed to check the hard disk
> drive. It then ran three series of tests -- and deleted files with the
> name "index" in them. Scrolled by so fast couldn't quite make it out.
>
> Is this normal behavior? Should I be concerned about the system's
> stability going forward?

GrahamH

Re: Strange startup behavior
Sounds like its simply done a disk drive error check.
As vista cant do an error check on files in use it has to do it on boot up,
this can be invoked by right clicking the drive and under properties/tools
run error check.
Its quite normal and it will clean up file errors, in fact i think its good
to do this on a regular basis.
Regards,
Graham........