Removing .ax file

md

Removing .ax file
Uninstalled a media program, and it left behind a folder in the
Program Files folder that contains a file: ac3filter.ax.

Vista won't let me delete the file or folder, due to rights.

Tempted to try deleting it with unlocker -- but before I do that:

Question: Does anyone know if deleting this file ac3filter.ax in
program files will cause problems later with Windows Media Player or
any other part of Vista?
Spirit

Re: Removing .ax file
Scroll down to Uninstall section :

http://ac3filter.sourceforge.net/ac3filter_eng.html

"md" <mdkrantz@gmail.com> wrote in message news:9be6136c-7fce-4320-8137-4ebe76eea16f@k7g2000hsd.googlegroups.com...
> Uninstalled a media program, and it left behind a folder in the
> Program Files folder that contains a file: ac3filter.ax.
>
> Vista won't let me delete the file or folder, due to rights.
>
> Tempted to try deleting it with unlocker -- but before I do that:
>
> Question: Does anyone know if deleting this file ac3filter.ax in
> program files will cause problems later with Windows Media Player or
> any other part of Vista?

md

Re: Removing .ax file
Thank you for this. Your insights are appreciated.

Just so I know for future reference, would simply deleting the file
cause problems?
Paul Montgomery

Re: Removing .ax file
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:50:03 -0700 (PDT), md <mdkrantz@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Just so I know for future reference, would simply deleting the file
>cause problems?

If it did/does... it will be in your recycle bin and can be restored
from there.

Or you can set a restore point before deleting, just to be on the safe
side.
Paul Montgomery

Re: Removing .ax file
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:26:16 -0500, Paul Montgomery
<i.m.nonnymous@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:50:03 -0700 (PDT), md <mdkrantz@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Just so I know for future reference, would simply deleting the file
>>cause problems?

>If it did/does... it will be in your recycle bin and can be restored
>from there.
>
>Or you can set a restore point before deleting, just to be on the safe
>side.

Use the restore point in ADDITION to the recycle bin.
Spirit

Re: Removing .ax file
Probably would get an error booting up that an expected file was missing.

"md" <mdkrantz@gmail.com> wrote in message news:4b24ad7b-a4b0-412e-9b6f-7d3da66f261e@l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
> Thank you for this. Your insights are appreciated.
>
> Just so I know for future reference, would simply deleting the file
> cause problems?

md

Re: Removing .ax file
Thank you again for all the insights.

Quick question. After entering the regsvr32 command, will Vista allow
me to delete the file -- or will I still get the permissions error?

At that could would it be safe to use the Unlocker application to
delete the file?

Thanks!
Spirit

Re: Removing .ax file
After you do what that site says the file should no longer be locked and
you can delete it.

"md" <mdkrantz@gmail.com> wrote in message news:835c35f6-6b23-4858-a5e9-512582300275@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
> Thank you again for all the insights.
>
> Quick question. After entering the regsvr32 command, will Vista allow
> me to delete the file -- or will I still get the permissions error?
>
> At that could would it be safe to use the Unlocker application to
> delete the file?
>
> Thanks!

md

Re: Removing .ax file
Fantastic. All your help is extremely appreciated! Thank you!
md

Re: Removing .ax file
Just wanted to circle back and report what happened.

Followed the steps. Wanted to make a few slight modifications to the
instructions in case someone encounters this issue in the future:

1. Find ac3filter.ax file.
2. Start the command prompt as an administrator. This is important
since step 3 may fail if you don't. Right click on cmd and run as
administrator (in Vista).
3. Unregister this module from command line: regsvr32 /u x:\some_dir
\ac3filter.ax
4. Delete registry key HKCU\Software\AC3Filter
5. Reboot the computer (you may not be able to do step 6 unless you
reboot first).
6. Find and delete files ac3filter.ax and ac3filter.cpl if it is on
your PC

Worked perfectly. Thank you everyone!