Windows startup problem [explorer.exe]

Sebastian Trandafir

Windows startup problem [explorer.exe]
hi... i hope this is the right place to ask this question. if i didn't hit
base with this one, please forgive me.

so... restarting windows vista [home premium 32 bits] goes on like this in
my case: normal startup till the point where i log in... and then... black
desktop, no taskbar, no other common startup application except for one
"MyUser\Documents" window. right click on the [inexistent] desktop is
disabled [i can still access task manager with ctr+alt+del].

For the moment... the solution i have found to my problem is opening
"explorer.exe" from the address bar in the window that's open there
[c:\windows\explorer.exe], and that's when the normal startup happens.
checking the startup items list in msconfig, i did not find any unknown
programs... checking the startup services in msconfig, the same thing...
nothing has changed from the good old times when the startup was normal.

i guess this is all the information i could gather in order to ask for help
:-s...

i would highly appreciate if anyone would have any idea on solving this issue.

thanks a lot.
yours...
Rick Rogers

Re: Windows startup problem [explorer.exe]
Hi,

The shell entry is damaged or appended. Click start and type 'regedit', then
hit <enter>. Expand the branches to reach:

Locate the shell string in the right pane and double click it. Replace the
contents with just:

explorer.exe

Click ok to set the value, then close the registry editor. Restart the
system to see if it holds. If it doesn't, then you likely have some malware
that is damaging the entry.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Sebastian Trandafir" <SebastianTrandafir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:4A59753A-21D7-460C-A21E-D52E05F7A5B0@microsoft.com...
> hi... i hope this is the right place to ask this question. if i didn't hit
> base with this one, please forgive me.
>
> so... restarting windows vista [home premium 32 bits] goes on like this in
> my case: normal startup till the point where i log in... and then... black
> desktop, no taskbar, no other common startup application except for one
> "MyUser\Documents" window. right click on the [inexistent] desktop is
> disabled [i can still access task manager with ctr+alt+del].
>
> For the moment... the solution i have found to my problem is opening
> "explorer.exe" from the address bar in the window that's open there
> [c:\windows\explorer.exe], and that's when the normal startup happens.
> checking the startup items list in msconfig, i did not find any unknown
> programs... checking the startup services in msconfig, the same thing...
> nothing has changed from the good old times when the startup was normal.
>
> i guess this is all the information i could gather in order to ask for
> help
> :-s...
>
> i would highly appreciate if anyone would have any idea on solving this
> issue.
>
> thanks a lot.
> yours...

PaulM

Re: Windows startup problem [explorer.exe]
Go here and download and run this script.
http://www.paulsxp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142

www.paulsxp.com
www.paulsxp.com/forum
www.supportspace.com/home/home.s2?aiu=paulm

"Sebastian Trandafir" <SebastianTrandafir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:4A59753A-21D7-460C-A21E-D52E05F7A5B0@microsoft.com...
> hi... i hope this is the right place to ask this question. if i didn't hit
> base with this one, please forgive me.
>
> so... restarting windows vista [home premium 32 bits] goes on like this in
> my case: normal startup till the point where i log in... and then... black
> desktop, no taskbar, no other common startup application except for one
> "MyUser\Documents" window. right click on the [inexistent] desktop is
> disabled [i can still access task manager with ctr+alt+del].
>
> For the moment... the solution i have found to my problem is opening
> "explorer.exe" from the address bar in the window that's open there
> [c:\windows\explorer.exe], and that's when the normal startup happens.
> checking the startup items list in msconfig, i did not find any unknown
> programs... checking the startup services in msconfig, the same thing...
> nothing has changed from the good old times when the startup was normal.
>
> i guess this is all the information i could gather in order to ask for
> help
> :-s...
>
> i would highly appreciate if anyone would have any idea on solving this
> issue.
>
> thanks a lot.
> yours...

Sebastian Trandafir

Re: Windows startup problem [explorer.exe]
Hi...
i have just tried changing the registry entry you have told me. It worked.
Problem solved. Thanks a lot ><

i do appreciate your help, guys... PaulM too, even if i didn't run that
script you told me.

Yours...