Can't Download Programs

msn

Can't Download Programs

O.K.
I am trying to download Windows Updates, Firefox, free antisoftware,
etc. I am on Vista Home Basic 32 bit.

When I try. The page comes up saying 'Internet Explorer cannot
dieplay..."

I am staying in a hotel using a LAN line. I was able to download here
last week fine.

Is there a way to check if a port is blocked? Is it possible for them
to block me from downloading programs?
I can download You tube vids using keepvid website.
I have tried disabling my firewall.

I have run chkdsk, memory test and everything is fine there.

Any ideas/sugestions?

--
msn
Mick Murphy

RE: Can't Download Programs
1st thing to do:
Ask at Hotel Reception about any changes they may have made.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"msn" wrote:

> O.K.
> I am trying to download Windows Updates, Firefox, free antisoftware,
> etc. I am on Vista Home Basic 32 bit.
>
> When I try. The page comes up saying 'Internet Explorer cannot
> dieplay..."
>
> I am staying in a hotel using a LAN line. I was able to download here
> last week fine.
>
> Is there a way to check if a port is blocked? Is it possible for them
> to block me from downloading programs?
> I can download You tube vids using keepvid website.
> I have tried disabling my firewall.
>
> I have run chkdsk, memory test and everything is fine there.
>
> Any ideas/sugestions?
>

> --
> msn

msn

Re: Can't Download Programs

Yep. Tried that, but these are ladies making like $7 an hour and have no
idea what I am talking about. I am in the Army, so it is actually run by
a IT contractor somewhere on base. It will be a HUGE hassle to track
them down. They will freak out for me just asking...

I do need to ask other guests though... If they can download, then it
will isolate it to my CPU.

Just trying to see if there is a way to find out from my CPU on ports?
Not even sure if that's possible. I am not that up on networking, so my
question might be way out there?

Thanks!

--
msn
MadBull

Re: Can't Download Programs

Oh God, army networks are murder. I've had a friend who tried to play
MMO games on his army network and he traced the IT guy for two days and
finally got him to open some ports for his game. To be honest, if your
computer is able to view videos off youtube, its set up properly. If its
not a software or hardware issue then its simply an issue with the
network. That's the realistic approach, but keep in mind I'm no expert
either. If you got time to kill, back up your data, reformat n reinstall
Vista and pray to God it fixes the problem, lol.

--
MadBull

'www.chuayou.com' (http://www.chuayou.com)

vista ultimate 32-bit sp1 *//*3.2ghz amd x2 5000+ be *//* 4gb ddr2
800mhz (ocz/patriot) *//* asus m2a-vm *//* asus radeon eah4850 512mb
*//* 2x seagate 7200.10 320gb sata *// *samsung syncmaster 765mb crt
*//* samsung syncmaster 710m lcd *//* ocz stealthxstream 600w psu
Phillips

Re: Can't Download Programs
Can you d/l via FTP?
Michael

"msn" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> O.K.
> I am trying to download Windows Updates, Firefox, free antisoftware,
> etc. I am on Vista Home Basic 32 bit.
>
> When I try. The page comes up saying 'Internet Explorer cannot
> dieplay..."
>
> I am staying in a hotel using a LAN line. I was able to download here
> last week fine.
>
> Is there a way to check if a port is blocked? Is it possible for them
> to block me from downloading programs?
> I can download You tube vids using keepvid website.
> I have tried disabling my firewall.
>
> I have run chkdsk, memory test and everything is fine there.
>
> Any ideas/sugestions?
>

> --
> msn

msn

Re: Can't Download Programs

I do have IPSewitch WS FTP program... How do I use that to download from
internet?

I have always FTP'd to a dedicated FTP server at my last job.

Thanks!
Mike

--
msn
Phillips

Re: Can't Download Programs
Some sites have a ftp server for files... just browse or try to ftp.
MS (ftp.microsoft.com) does not offer anything new that I know of since
2006 - no way to update.