Deleting, re-naming, searching, locks up

msn

Deleting, re-naming, searching, locks up

When I attempt to delete a file a window appears saying "Calculating
time
remaining" this just hangs; attempting to close the message window
causes a
message "cancelling" to occur in the message window but it continues to
hang.
The explorer window becomes unresponsive. I have to "End Task" to get
rid of it. The file does go to the recycle bin after this (or expunges
if I choose to).

When I attempt to rename a file, it locks up. Again; have to "end Task"
to unlock it. it does rename the file though.

This is on a Dell inspiron laptop bought in January. I have had this
problem since Febuary. I have searched extensively with no luck. There
was one fix listed in a topic hear. it didn't work.

Oh. When I start in SAFE mode, all of the above works fine.

This has been posted here before, but those threads are "stopped" or
old. Weird that I can't find anything on this problem...

Any ideas, anybody? I am getting ready to re-install OS.

I do have the Vista Business edition. Would that help? Cause problems?
What about installing SP1?

THANKS in advance!
Mike

--
msn
Phillips

Re: Deleting, re-naming, searching, locks up
If you tried chkdsk, Event Viewer, user privileges, memory check... it's
time to reinstall. Dell should give you 1 year of assistance.
Michael

"msn" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> When I attempt to delete a file a window appears saying "Calculating
> time
> remaining" this just hangs; attempting to close the message window
> causes a
> message "cancelling" to occur in the message window but it continues to
> hang.
> The explorer window becomes unresponsive. I have to "End Task" to get
> rid of it. The file does go to the recycle bin after this (or expunges
> if I choose to).
>
> When I attempt to rename a file, it locks up. Again; have to "end Task"
> to unlock it. it does rename the file though.
>
> This is on a Dell inspiron laptop bought in January. I have had this
> problem since Febuary. I have searched extensively with no luck. There
> was one fix listed in a topic hear. it didn't work.
>
> Oh. When I start in SAFE mode, all of the above works fine.
>
> This has been posted here before, but those threads are "stopped" or
> old. Weird that I can't find anything on this problem...
>
> Any ideas, anybody? I am getting ready to re-install OS.
>
> I do have the Vista Business edition. Would that help? Cause problems?
> What about installing SP1?
>
> THANKS in advance!
> Mike
>

> --
> msn

grungero

Re: Deleting, re-naming, searching, locks up

Disable windows search.

--
grungero
msn

Re: Deleting, re-naming, searching, locks up

That did it!
Disabled Windows Search inside Services in control panel.
Thank you!!! You just made my day! Heck, my year!
Amazing that I have called Dell and they wanted to charge me like $70
just to look at it. I have a 1-year warranty, but they only cover
hardware, not software or OS.

Thanks again!

MSN

--
msn
grungero

Re: Deleting, re-naming, searching, locks up

Not a problem.

--
grungero