My screen goes blank

susemac

My screen goes blank

In the last week, the screen of my laptop has gone blank probably 2-3
times each day, and the only solution I can find is to turn it off and
restart, thus losing whatever I am working on. I happens in any
program, even games. Is this a vista problem, or a hardware problem?

--
susemac
susemac's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=369

Helixer

RE: My screen goes blank
I think that would be vista problem or wrong config on your power management.
It is just blank screen where you can't press anything? Is your laptop still
running while it's blank.

If it happens to be hardware problem, possibly overheating.

"susemac" wrote:

> In the last week, the screen of my laptop has gone blank probably 2-3
> times each day, and the only solution I can find is to turn it off and
> restart, thus losing whatever I am working on. I happens in any
> program, even games. Is this a vista problem, or a hardware problem?
>

> --
> susemac
> susemac's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=369
> View this thread: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20397

susemac

Re: My screen goes blank

Yes, the computer is still running but I can't press anything, so I have
to turn it off and then on again, it then boots up again and I have lost
anything that I hadn't saved. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

--
susemac
susemac's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=369
View this thread: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20397

Helixer

Re: My screen goes blank
I'm not really a pro but I encounter that problem from time to time in my
desktop. In my case my desktop turn off my monitor after 20min. Most of the
time I can just press anything and it would go back on. But sometimes when 2
or more accounts are open or too many programs are in use, I can't properly
put my computer to sleep and same as you I can't do anything but to reboot.

Doing maintenance would be you best shot so far. Disk cleanup, defrag, disk
check, virus and spyware scan etc.
susemac

Re: My screen goes blank

Ok, thanks for your help I'll try all those things.

--
susemac
susemac's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=369
View this thread: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20397

MadBull

Re: My screen goes blank

I've also had this problem with my Dell laptop. But somehow it ended up
fixing itself. Now I'm having a similar problem on my desktop
workstation. Its related to having two monitors so that shouldn't be
your issue here. It could also be a video card problem, as in the case
with some ATI cards, theres a small vista workaround posted on the help
pages at AMD. I'll post it here for you incase its related:

> NO DISPLAY THROUGH DVI-PORT IN WINDOWS WITH SOME TFT MONITORS:
> We are currently investigating this issue and will
> update our KB article '737-26586'
> (http://support.ati.com/ics/support/d...tionID=2 6586)
> when a solution has been provided. Some users reported
> workarounds.
>
> _*Workaround_______in_Windows_Vista*_

- Set *ATI EXTERNAL EVENT UTILITY* to *Manual
> *

- Start Windows VISTA using a monitor connected through a
> VGA port

- Go to *Control Panel* > *Administrative Tools* >
> *Services*

- Click on "*Continue*" on "*User Account Control*"
> window

- Select "*ATI External Event Utility*"
- Make a right-click on it and select "*Properties*"
- Under *General* tab change "*Start Type*" to
> "*Manual*" [image:
> https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...0002_0000.jpg]

- Click on "*OK*" and reboot the system

--
MadBull

'www.chuayou.com' (http://www.chuayou.com)

vista ultimate 32-bit sp1 *//*3.2ghz amd x2 5000+ be *//* 4gb ddr2
800mhz (ocz/patriot) *//* asus m2a-vm *//* asus radeon eah4850 512mb
*//* 2x seagate 7200.10 320gb sata *// *samsung syncmaster 765mb crt
*//* samsung syncmaster 710m lcd *//* ocz stealthxstream 600w psu
busby

RE: My screen goes blank

"susemac" wrote:

> In the last week, the screen of my laptop has gone blank probably 2-3
> times each day, and the only solution I can find is to turn it off and
> restart, thus losing whatever I am working on. I happens in any
> program, even games. Is this a vista problem, or a hardware problem?
>

> --
> susemac
> susemac's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=369
> View this thread: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20397

busby

RE: My screen goes blank
and did you solve the problem? I'm experiencing the same issues and can't
find a solution...

"susemac" wrote:

> In the last week, the screen of my laptop has gone blank probably 2-3
> times each day, and the only solution I can find is to turn it off and
> restart, thus losing whatever I am working on. I happens in any
> program, even games. Is this a vista problem, or a hardware problem?
>

> --
> susemac
> susemac's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=369
> View this thread: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20397

Cuiz'

Re: My screen goes blank
have you tried checking the the Power Options (current power plan of your
laptop)?

"busby" <busby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "susemac" wrote:
>

>> In the last week, the screen of my laptop has gone blank probably 2-3
>> times each day, and the only solution I can find is to turn it off and
>> restart, thus losing whatever I am working on. I happens in any
>> program, even games. Is this a vista problem, or a hardware problem?
>>

>> --
>> susemac
>> susemac's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=369
>> View this thread: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20397

ssdeckers

Re: My screen goes blank

Hi
Did you fix this problem? The same thing is happening to me.

--
ssdeckers
ssdeckers's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=582