IE too slow in Vista

puthputh

IE too slow in Vista
hi,

i upgraded from XP to Vista a week ago, and IE is now really irritating me.

it's so slow, it takes ages to load pages when i have more than 1 tab open,
its so frustrating. why is this happening? to see the webpages i have to keep
opening more IE browser windows, thus making the tabs useless.

sometimes even with one tab open it just doesn't respond... the mouse
becomes that circle to show its doing something but nothing happens.

btw, i dont have spyware or viruses on my computer, (i use NAV 08, spybot,
ad-aware 08) and i have a very high spec machine... this didn't happen with
XP, so why's it happening now?

this website wouldn't even work, so i'm having to use firefox, something i
dont do regularly, therefore i dont know if firefox is struggling with same
problem

thanks
SCSIraidGURU

Re: IE too slow in Vista

What are your specs? How does it work with NAV disabled? I have seen
NAV in the past cause this problem.

--
SCSIraidGURU

Michael A. McKenney
'www.SCSIraidGURU.com' (http://www.SCSIraidGURU.com)

Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
16GB DDR667
SAS RAID
eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
puthputh

Re: IE too slow in Vista

"SCSIraidGURU" wrote:

> What are your specs? How does it work with NAV disabled? I have seen
> NAV in the past cause this problem.
>

> --
> SCSIraidGURU
>
> Michael A. McKenney
> 'www.SCSIraidGURU.com' (http://www.SCSIraidGURU.com)
>
> Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
> pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
> 16GB DDR667
> SAS RAID
> eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card

hi,

its an 2.4ghz intel core duo 2, 2048mb RAM, 400gb hard drive

i only just installed NAV but this was happening for last few days. its not
a constant thing, its just half the time it does this, and half the time it
functions normally.

as i type, its gone back to normal, but an hour ago when i posted the
initial post it was mucking up... sometimes the webpages do nothing,
sometimes the green horizontal bar along the bottom loads up really quickly
to a certain % then it gets stuck, and when i refresh it the page just goes
blank

as its working right now, turning off NAV won't help, but i'll try it
tomorrow if it starts struglling again (very likely)

in the meantime, isnt there anything in IE's advanced options i can fiddle
with?

thanks
puthputh

Re: IE too slow in Vista
i forgot to say, the vista scores are:

processor: 5.3
memory (ram): 4.2
graphics: 3.2
gaming graphics: 3.7
primary HD: 5.7

i assume the first two are most relevant to your question
Paul Montgomery

Re: IE too slow in Vista
On Aug 20, 7:56*pm, puthputh <puthp...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> as its working right now, turning off NAV won't help, but i'll try it
> tomorrow if it starts struglling again (very likely)

You're absolutely sure that your ISP isn't having temporary problems,
right? When I had DSL (SBC) that happened to me a couple of times,
and it was obviously their problem. Sometimes the slowdown would last
for several hours at a time, and often I would get timeout messages
waiting for a site to load.

> in the meantime, isnt there anything in IE's advanced options i can fiddle
> with?

Only the amount of space you reserve for temporary internet files (I
moved mine to another drive). Maybe the way IE checks the sites for
updates.

I stopped using IE because on SOME sites it was deadly slow for me.
One in particular is the Chicago Tribune site. Firefox loads it MUCH
faster than IE... and has for quite some time. But about six months
or so ago the Trib must've made some site changes.

rmkayak

Re: IE too slow in Vista
I've been having the same problem. I have a new HP laptop with Vista. When
the mouse circle thing happens and I close that particular window, it closes
down every window and I have to start all over. It is a real pain in the
you-know-what. Sometimes I have to click refresh to get a page to load
because IE says that it cannot find the website. I have NAV. It has become
very annoying.

"puthputh" <puthputh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

Richard Urban

Re: IE too slow in Vista
Upgrade from XP?

Is your physical system up to the task? I think it may not be. Vista needs a
lot more of everything and many upgrades from older hardware tend to "fail
to perform".

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"puthputh" <puthputh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi,
>
> i upgraded from XP to Vista a week ago, and IE is now really irritating
> me.
>
> it's so slow, it takes ages to load pages when i have more than 1 tab
> open,
> its so frustrating. why is this happening? to see the webpages i have to
> keep
> opening more IE browser windows, thus making the tabs useless.
>
> sometimes even with one tab open it just doesn't respond... the mouse
> becomes that circle to show its doing something but nothing happens.
>
> btw, i dont have spyware or viruses on my computer, (i use NAV 08, spybot,
> ad-aware 08) and i have a very high spec machine... this didn't happen
> with
> XP, so why's it happening now?
>
> this website wouldn't even work, so i'm having to use firefox, something i
> dont do regularly, therefore i dont know if firefox is struggling with
> same
> problem
>
> thanks

Richard Urban

Re: IE too slow in Vista
It seems to me that a high proportion of people having performance problems
are using Norton something or other!

--

"rmkayak" <rmkayak@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> I've been having the same problem. I have a new HP laptop with Vista. When
> the mouse circle thing happens and I close that particular window, it
> closes down every window and I have to start all over. It is a real pain
> in the you-know-what. Sometimes I have to click refresh to get a page to
> load because IE says that it cannot find the website. I have NAV. It has
> become very annoying.
>
> "puthputh" <puthputh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi,
>
> i upgraded from XP to Vista a week ago, and IE is now really irritating
> me.
>
> it's so slow, it takes ages to load pages when i have more than 1 tab
> open,
> its so frustrating. why is this happening? to see the webpages i have to
> keep
> opening more IE browser windows, thus making the tabs useless.
>
> sometimes even with one tab open it just doesn't respond... the mouse
> becomes that circle to show its doing something but nothing happens.
>
> btw, i dont have spyware or viruses on my computer, (i use NAV 08, spybot,
> ad-aware 08) and i have a very high spec machine... this didn't happen
> with
> XP, so why's it happening now?
>
> this website wouldn't even work, so i'm having to use firefox, something i
> dont do regularly, therefore i dont know if firefox is struggling with
> same
> problem
>
> thanks

puthputh

Re: IE too slow in Vista
hi,

its started messing up again, so I turned off NAV. this made absolutely no
difference. however i did notice that firefox wasnt affected, so this is
definitely an IE-only thing

so i think NAV is not the cause of the problem.

as for hardware, i dont think they are a problem. my vista scores were
posted above, and i bought my vista-ready computer 2 months before vista came
out, and it was a high-spec entertainment pc, one of the best specced
machines i could find at the time. (i only upgraded to vista now because i
was unsure if all my software would work so i waited till now to be safe)

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Upgrade from XP?
>
> Is your physical system up to the task? I think it may not be. Vista needs a
> lot more of everything and many upgrades from older hardware tend to "fail
> to perform".
>
> --
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience
>

> "puthputh" <puthputh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi,
> >
> > i upgraded from XP to Vista a week ago, and IE is now really irritating
> > me.
> >
> > it's so slow, it takes ages to load pages when i have more than 1 tab
> > open,
> > its so frustrating. why is this happening? to see the webpages i have to
> > keep
> > opening more IE browser windows, thus making the tabs useless.
> >
> > sometimes even with one tab open it just doesn't respond... the mouse
> > becomes that circle to show its doing something but nothing happens.
> >
> > btw, i dont have spyware or viruses on my computer, (i use NAV 08, spybot,
> > ad-aware 08) and i have a very high spec machine... this didn't happen
> > with
> > XP, so why's it happening now?
> >
> > this website wouldn't even work, so i'm having to use firefox, something i
> > dont do regularly, therefore i dont know if firefox is struggling with
> > same
> > problem
> >
> > thanks

rmkayak

Re: IE too slow in Vista
I have the Intel Core 2 Duo T9300, Windows experience index of 3.5, Vista
Home Premium 32 bit and 3.00 GB memory. It is a HP Pavillion dv6700
notebook. I don't think that my system is the problem and I am experiencing
the same problems as puthputh.