Kill process

Ristar

Kill process
Hi,

how do i kill a process that froze? ie. Firefox, IE, and all that, that are
not responding?

so far, i have tried "taskkill /im <pid>", and process explorer.

taskkill always returns a message telling me that a kill command has been
sent, but the process is still not killed.

process explorer, no matter how many times i try killing it, the process
still wont be killed.

seriously, this inability to kill processes that are frozen is getting
really, really irritating.
Richard Urban

Re: Kill process
Kill it through Task Manager. Right click on the process and choose "Kill
Process Tree".

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"Ristar" <Ristar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> how do i kill a process that froze? ie. Firefox, IE, and all that, that
> are
> not responding?
>
> so far, i have tried "taskkill /im <pid>", and process explorer.
>
> taskkill always returns a message telling me that a kill command has been
> sent, but the process is still not killed.
>
> process explorer, no matter how many times i try killing it, the process
> still wont be killed.
>
> seriously, this inability to kill processes that are frozen is getting
> really, really irritating.

Ristar

Re: Kill process
OBVIOUSLY, this doesnt work. heh.

even in XP, and for running programs (the programs that Vista actually lets
me kill) using process explorer or taskkill produces a more immediate effect
than using task manager, which

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Kill it through Task Manager. Right click on the process and choose "Kill
> Process Tree".
>
> --
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience
>

> "Ristar" <Ristar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > how do i kill a process that froze? ie. Firefox, IE, and all that, that
> > are
> > not responding?
> >
> > so far, i have tried "taskkill /im <pid>", and process explorer.
> >
> > taskkill always returns a message telling me that a kill command has been
> > sent, but the process is still not killed.
> >
> > process explorer, no matter how many times i try killing it, the process
> > still wont be killed.
> >
> > seriously, this inability to kill processes that are frozen is getting
> > really, really irritating.

Rick Rogers

Re: Kill process
Hi,

Just a thought, but are you issuing the commands from an elevated prompt?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ristar" <Ristar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> how do i kill a process that froze? ie. Firefox, IE, and all that, that
> are
> not responding?
>
> so far, i have tried "taskkill /im <pid>", and process explorer.
>
> taskkill always returns a message telling me that a kill command has been
> sent, but the process is still not killed.
>
> process explorer, no matter how many times i try killing it, the process
> still wont be killed.
>
> seriously, this inability to kill processes that are frozen is getting
> really, really irritating.

Richard Urban

Re: Kill process
Strange, I have never found a hung process that I can not kill off.

--

> OBVIOUSLY, this doesnt work. heh.
>
> even in XP, and for running programs (the programs that Vista actually
> lets
> me kill) using process explorer or taskkill produces a more immediate
> effect
> than using task manager, which
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> Kill it through Task Manager. Right click on the process and choose "Kill
>> Process Tree".
>>
>> --
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Desktop Experience
>>

>> "Ristar" <Ristar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > how do i kill a process that froze? ie. Firefox, IE, and all that, that
>> > are
>> > not responding?
>> >
>> > so far, i have tried "taskkill /im <pid>", and process explorer.
>> >
>> > taskkill always returns a message telling me that a kill command has
>> > been
>> > sent, but the process is still not killed.
>> >
>> > process explorer, no matter how many times i try killing it, the
>> > process
>> > still wont be killed.
>> >
>> > seriously, this inability to kill processes that are frozen is getting
>> > really, really irritating.

crushablemeg

RE: Kill process
sorry to but in but I am having a similar problem trying to end process on
wmp.exe it will end but then it keeps popping off and on in my list, and I'm
wondering if this is what is causing my PC to hang in shutting down screen?

"Ristar" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> how do i kill a process that froze? ie. Firefox, IE, and all that, that are
> not responding?
>
> so far, i have tried "taskkill /im <pid>", and process explorer.
>
> taskkill always returns a message telling me that a kill command has been
> sent, but the process is still not killed.
>
> process explorer, no matter how many times i try killing it, the process
> still wont be killed.
>
> seriously, this inability to kill processes that are frozen is getting
> really, really irritating.

Ristar

Re: Kill process
Hi, im new to Vista, so... what's an elevated prompt?

I'm signed in as admin, and even when i do the "Run as administrator" thing,
the process still wont be killed. is that wat u mean?

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just a thought, but are you issuing the commands from an elevated prompt?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Ristar" <Ristar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > how do i kill a process that froze? ie. Firefox, IE, and all that, that
> > are
> > not responding?
> >
> > so far, i have tried "taskkill /im <pid>", and process explorer.
> >
> > taskkill always returns a message telling me that a kill command has been
> > sent, but the process is still not killed.
> >
> > process explorer, no matter how many times i try killing it, the process
> > still wont be killed.
> >
> > seriously, this inability to kill processes that are frozen is getting
> > really, really irritating.

R. C. White

Re: Kill process
Hi, Ristar.

An "elevated prompt" means entering the command or starting the application
from the "Administrator:Command Prompt" window. That's the Administrator
version of what some of us old-timers still call a "DOS window".

To open that window, right-click on Cmd.exe and choose Run as Administrator;
you'll have to furnish the password to get past here. When the window
opens, note the word "Administrator" in the Title Bar. Any command or
application launched from this window will "run elevated"; it usually will
automatically Run as Administrator without further password prompts.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> Hi, im new to Vista, so... what's an elevated prompt?
>
> I'm signed in as admin, and even when i do the "Run as administrator"
> thing,
> the process still wont be killed. is that wat u mean?
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just a thought, but are you issuing the commands from an elevated prompt?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> "Ristar" <Ristar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > how do i kill a process that froze? ie. Firefox, IE, and all that, that
>> > are
>> > not responding?
>> >
>> > so far, i have tried "taskkill /im <pid>", and process explorer.
>> >
>> > taskkill always returns a message telling me that a kill command has
>> > been
>> > sent, but the process is still not killed.
>> >
>> > process explorer, no matter how many times i try killing it, the
>> > process
>> > still wont be killed.
>> >
>> > seriously, this inability to kill processes that are frozen is getting
>> > really, really irritating.

Jeremy Viegas

RE: Kill process
Try the KB article below, use the kill tool. Run it elevated.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197155

"crushablemeg" wrote:

> sorry to but in but I am having a similar problem trying to end process on
> wmp.exe it will end but then it keeps popping off and on in my list, and I'm
> wondering if this is what is causing my PC to hang in shutting down screen?
>
> "Ristar" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > how do i kill a process that froze? ie. Firefox, IE, and all that, that are
> > not responding?
> >
> > so far, i have tried "taskkill /im <pid>", and process explorer.
> >
> > taskkill always returns a message telling me that a kill command has been
> > sent, but the process is still not killed.
> >
> > process explorer, no matter how many times i try killing it, the process
> > still wont be killed.
> >
> > seriously, this inability to kill processes that are frozen is getting
> > really, really irritating.

Ristar

RE: Kill process
ah... where's the kill tool? i cant find any downloads and "kill.exe" doesnt
exist in my system.

In addition, what resource kit is the article talking about? there's no
downloads and i cannot find "kill" and "pview".. and have totally no idea how
to use "at". ><