Will reformat fix registry?

Nurock

Will reformat fix registry?
I picked a malware problem, (Antivirus XP2008). I have a back-up of all of
my data on an external hard drive that I made just before I got the virus. if
I reformat my whole computer and reload Vista Home Premium, then reload my
data from the external hard drive, should that fix all of my problems?
Malke

Re: Will reformat fix registry?
Nurock wrote:

> I picked a malware problem, (Antivirus XP2008). I have a back-up of all
> of my data on an external hard drive that I made just before I got the
> virus. if I reformat my whole computer and reload Vista Home Premium, then
> reload my data from the external hard drive, should that fix all of my
> problems?

Yes.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Ken Blake

"Nurock" <Nurock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I picked a malware problem, (Antivirus XP2008). I have a back-up of all of
> my data on an external hard drive that I made just before I got the virus.
> if
> I reformat my whole computer and reload Vista Home Premium, then reload my
> data from the external hard drive, should that fix all of my problems?

Yes. Reformatting the drive and reinstalling Windows will fix any software
problems, since it wipes everything off the drive and starts over from
scratch.

But is it necessary or even a good idea to do this to get rid of the
infection? Highly unlikely.

John Barnett MVP

Re: Will reformat fix registry?
Re-installing will solve your problem but, before you do anything so
drastic, have you tried downloading and running Malwarebytes Anti malware?
(www.malwarebytes.org) This should eradicate your antivirus xp2008 problem.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Nurock" <Nurock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I picked a malware problem, (Antivirus XP2008). I have a back-up of all
> of
> my data on an external hard drive that I made just before I got the virus.
> if
> I reformat my whole computer and reload Vista Home Premium, then reload my
> data from the external hard drive, should that fix all of my problems?

Bruce Chambers

Nurock wrote:
> I picked a malware problem, (Antivirus XP2008). I have a back-up of all of
> my data on an external hard drive that I made just before I got the virus. if
> I reformat my whole computer and reload Vista Home Premium, then reload my
> data from the external hard drive, should that fix all of my problems?

Formatting the hard drive to solve a virus or spyware problem is
rather like using an axe to trim one's fingernails. Sure, it'll get the
job done, but it's rather time-consuming, and almost always unnecessary.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Nurock

Re: Will reformat fix registry?
I believe that Malwarebytes will probably get rid of Anitvirus XP2008, but
will it fix the registry problems?

Nurock wrote:
> I believe that Malwarebytes will probably get rid of Anitvirus XP2008, but
> will it fix the registry problems?

Other than having the malware infestation, nothing to OP said (other
than the inaccurate subject line) indicates that he/she does have any
sort of registry problem.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Victek

Re: Will reformat fix registry?
Can you describe the registry problems? Sometimes anti-malware software can
fix them.

> Nurock wrote:
>> I picked a malware problem, (Antivirus XP2008). I have a back-up of all
>> of my data on an external hard drive that I made just before I got the
>> virus. if I reformat my whole computer and reload Vista Home Premium,
>> then reload my data from the external hard drive, should that fix all of
>> my problems?

> Formatting the hard drive to solve a virus or spyware problem is
> rather like using an axe to trim one's fingernails. Sure, it'll get the
> job done, but it's rather time-consuming, and almost always unnecessary.

Well, there are different schools of thought about this. Some think that
once you get infected the only way to be certain the system is clean is to
format and reinstall. If the system is functional enough I agree it's worth
making an effort to clean it first. By using a combination of anti-malware
tools I can feel pretty confident the system is clean, but there may be
lingering damage. For instance a common problem I've seen is a task manager
with the top menu cutoff. This is probably an example of registry
corruption. It may be possible to fix this kind of thing by editing the
registry directly, but how? If would be great if someone put up a FAQ.

Bruce Chambers

Victek wrote:

> Well, there are different schools of thought about this.

Yes, there are. In my view, the severity of the remedial action
depends upon the mission critically of the system, the sensitivity of
the data thereon (and whether or not that data has been backed up
recently), the skill set of the computer user/repairer), and the
type/thoroughness of the infection.

> Some think
> that once you get infected the only way to be certain the system is
> clean is to format and reinstall.

And for few those situations where 100% certainty is essential (or
desired), a format and re-installation of the OS and applications is the
only choice. This, however, usually isn't the case for the home
consumer dealing with a single well-known and relatively easily cleaned
piece of malware, as is the OP's stated case. (Of course, from the
paucity of the original post, we really can't assume that there's only
one piece of malware, either. We have to trust the OP to be accurate.)

> If the system is functional enough I
> agree it's worth making an effort to clean it first. By using a
> combination of anti-malware tools I can feel pretty confident the system
> is clean, but there may be lingering damage.

No argument here.

> For instance a common
> problem I've seen is a task manager with the top menu cutoff. This is
> probably an example of registry corruption. It may be possible to fix
> this kind of thing by editing the registry directly, but how? If would
> be great if someone put up a FAQ.

That doesn't sound at all like registry corruption, as it's a
built-in (if poorly documented) option. It sounds like the Task Manager
is being run in "Small Footprint Mode." Simply double-click anywhere
along the top or side borders to return to a normal view.
Alternatively, pressing <Ctrl>+<Tab> will allow you to cycle between the
various displays, and <Alt>+<F4> will close it.

Task Manager Menu Bar and Tabs Are Not Visible in Windows XP