Guest account failed user profile service

swalker

Guest account failed user profile service
I first attempted to add a new account.

When trying to start the new account I received a message that the
user profile service failed.

So I deleted the new account and turned on the Guest account and
restarted the computer and the same message appeared.

Anybody have a clue how to fix this without a clean install.
Rick Rogers

Re: Guest account failed user profile service
See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215/en-us

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 08:19:20 -0400, "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org>
wrote:

>See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215/en-us

Thanks for the link.

I am using Vista Home Premium which I have been told doesn't support
"Groups".

Either this is a rare problem or MS is ignoring it.
Gordon

Re: Guest account failed user profile service
"swalker" <sw@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>I first attempted to add a new account.
>
> When trying to start the new account I received a message that the
> user profile service failed.
>
> So I deleted the new account and turned on the Guest account and
> restarted the computer and the same message appeared.
>
> Anybody have a clue how to fix this without a clean install.

Why would you enable the Guest account?

Rick Rogers

Re: Guest account failed user profile service
Hi,

Doesn't matter that Vista HP doesn't have the group policy tools, the
registry entry is the problem. Follow the steps in the article.

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 21:12:01 -0400, "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Doesn't matter that Vista HP doesn't have the group policy tools, the
>registry entry is the problem. Follow the steps in the article.

I went to the registry and there was no SID for the Guest Account.
swalker

Re: Guest account failed user profile service
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 19:31:24 +0100, "Gordon"
<gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>"swalker" <sw@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>news:q76ca45jv76msl6q1knhqkm966k4rrurvo@4ax.com.. .
>>I first attempted to add a new account.
>>
>> When trying to start the new account I received a message that the
>> user profile service failed.
>>
>> So I deleted the new account and turned on the Guest account and
>> restarted the computer and the same message appeared.
>>
>> Anybody have a clue how to fix this without a clean install.

>Why would you enable the Guest account?

I wanted to use it. Adding a new account wasn't working.
Gordon

> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 19:31:24 +0100, "Gordon"
> <gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>>"swalker" <sw@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>>news:q76ca45jv76msl6q1knhqkm966k4rrurvo@4ax.com. ..
>>>I first attempted to add a new account.
>>>
>>> When trying to start the new account I received a message that the
>>> user profile service failed.
>>>
>>> So I deleted the new account and turned on the Guest account and
>>> restarted the computer and the same message appeared.
>>>
>>> Anybody have a clue how to fix this without a clean install.

>>Why would you enable the Guest account?

> I wanted to use it. Adding a new account wasn't working.

Why use it? It's a security risk. Has been since XP.
Define "wasn't working" when you try to add a new account. What happens when
you try?

swalker

Re: Guest account failed user profile service
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 09:46:09 +0100, "Gordon"
<gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>"swalker" <sw@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>news:aiefa4hm5qjkgtrgcingnk7hl4dibv57pm@4ax.com.. .
>> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 19:31:24 +0100, "Gordon"
>> <gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>"swalker" <sw@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>>>news:q76ca45jv76msl6q1knhqkm966k4rrurvo@4ax.com ...

>>>Why would you enable the Guest account?

>> I wanted to use it. Adding a new account wasn't working.

>Why use it? It's a security risk. Has been since XP.
>Define "wasn't working" when you try to add a new account. What happens when
>you try?

Read the OP.
swalker

Re: Guest account failed user profile service
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:03:53 -0500, swalker <sw@newsguy.com> wrote:

Problem solved. I removed Spy-Bot.

Just a guess but I suspect Spy Bot was denying a register change.
Guest account now works, although currently turned off, and I have
added a new account.