Use Complete Restore to backup drive with Vista, but not drive with XP.

Michael Kilgore

Use Complete Restore to backup drive with Vista, but not drive with XP.
I have 3 drives installed in my computer. XP Pro on one drive. Vista
Ultimate 64 on a second drive. And no O.S. on the third drive.

I wish to make a backup image of the drive with Vista, and only that drive.
Apparently this isn't possible with the Complete Backup utility, since the
checkboxes for selecting the drives to be backup are grayed out.

I do not want a backup of XP made along with a backup of Vista. This means
if I wish to restore Vista, I'll need to restore XP. This is both
unacceptable and asinine. If there is no work around, then this program is
completely useless. This feature is the reason I chose Ultimate over Home
Premium. Well, I knew it was foolish to buy Vista in the first place, but
now I see just how stupid my decision was. (This being one of a number of
problems with this O.S.)

I cannot return the O.S. and get my money back. So I can only hope there is
a work around, or settle for the fact that if ever I uninstall XP (very
improbable), I will be able to backup of Vista then. Whatever.

So is there a work around for this? In other words, could I remove the XP
hard drive and then backup Vista? Then add the XP hard drive back, and run
Repair from the Vista DVD? I would like to know if this would work
before trying it, or hope there might be an even simpler solution.

I will thank you kindly for any assistance.

~Mike

MilesAhead

Re: Use Complete Restore to backup drive with Vista, but not drive with XP.

It may be more convenient to bite the bullet and shell out for a drive
imagining program. I've been using Paragon Drive Backup Personal since
v. 8.5. I've actually used the Restore several times and it works.
Version 9.0 has both 32 bit and 64 bit Vista support. Not only can you
select individual partitions but you can add folders to exclude lists to
avoid backing up large data files that are expendable such as video
files.

The RestoreCD has USB support so that even if your system is hosed you
can boot the CD with your external USB drive plugged in and restore from
the backup on the external drive. Also backs up across your Lan. Very
convenient and worth the $40 AFAIC. (and no I don't get a kickback,
discount or any brownie points from Paragon.)

--
MilesAhead

"Why is half the world named after a guy I never heard of?"
John Barnett MVP

Re: Use Complete Restore to backup drive with Vista, but not drive with XP.
I have never been too keen on Complete Backup, I much prefer to use a third
party application. In my case the preference is for Acronis True Image
(currently version 11). This is probably the best third part imaging
software (Seagate, for example, use a version of Acronis to clone your old
hard drive to a new one)

Looking at MilesAhead's post I also have to agree that Paragon Drive Backup
is also a good contender.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Michael Kilgore" <m-kilgore@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have 3 drives installed in my computer. XP Pro on one drive. Vista
> Ultimate 64 on a second drive. And no O.S. on the third drive.
>
> I wish to make a backup image of the drive with Vista, and only that
> drive. Apparently this isn't possible with the Complete Backup utility,
> since the checkboxes for selecting the drives to be backup are grayed out.
>
> I do not want a backup of XP made along with a backup of Vista. This means
> if I wish to restore Vista, I'll need to restore XP. This is both
> unacceptable and asinine. If there is no work around, then this program
> is completely useless. This feature is the reason I chose Ultimate over
> Home Premium. Well, I knew it was foolish to buy Vista in the first
> place, but now I see just how stupid my decision was. (This being one of a
> number of problems with this O.S.)
>
> I cannot return the O.S. and get my money back. So I can only hope there
> is a work around, or settle for the fact that if ever I uninstall XP (very
> improbable), I will be able to backup of Vista then. Whatever.
>
> So is there a work around for this? In other words, could I remove the XP
> hard drive and then backup Vista? Then add the XP hard drive back, and run
> Repair from the Vista DVD? I would like to know if this would work
> before trying it, or hope there might be an even simpler solution.
>
> I will thank you kindly for any assistance.
>
> ~Mike

AJR

Re: Use Complete Restore to backup drive with Vista, but not drive with XP.
Assuming you have a dual boot setup - Vista will not boot if you remove the
XP Disk.

Sometimes we do not pay attention to terminology - note that it is "Complete
PC backup..." - emphasis on "Complete" - meaning all drives/partitions.

With others I recommend Acronis True Image.

"Michael Kilgore" <m-kilgore@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have 3 drives installed in my computer. XP Pro on one drive. Vista
>Ultimate 64 on a second drive. And no O.S. on the third drive.
>
> I wish to make a backup image of the drive with Vista, and only that
> drive. Apparently this isn't possible with the Complete Backup utility,
> since the checkboxes for selecting the drives to be backup are grayed out.
>
> I do not want a backup of XP made along with a backup of Vista. This means
> if I wish to restore Vista, I'll need to restore XP. This is both
> unacceptable and asinine. If there is no work around, then this program
> is completely useless. This feature is the reason I chose Ultimate over
> Home Premium. Well, I knew it was foolish to buy Vista in the first
> place, but now I see just how stupid my decision was. (This being one of a
> number of problems with this O.S.)
>
> I cannot return the O.S. and get my money back. So I can only hope there
> is a work around, or settle for the fact that if ever I uninstall XP (very
> improbable), I will be able to backup of Vista then. Whatever.
>
> So is there a work around for this? In other words, could I remove the XP
> hard drive and then backup Vista? Then add the XP hard drive back, and run
> Repair from the Vista DVD? I would like to know if this would work
> before trying it, or hope there might be an even simpler solution.
>
> I will thank you kindly for any assistance.
>
> ~Mike

John Barnett MVP

Re: Use Complete Restore to backup drive with Vista, but not drive with XP.
AJR Complete PC Backup is quite capable of backing up a single hard drive or
a particular partition. My own setup, for example, contains one main hard
drive partitioned into 3 separate partitions: 1) Windows Vista; 2) Backup;
3) VM. Using Complete PC Backup I can backup my Windows Vista partition
separately without including partitions 2 and 3.

My usual backup scenario is to backup to a removable hard drive. Complete PC
Backup also allows me to do this; and having just attached my removable hard
drive I can actually see that 'all' partitions on my main hard drive and my
removable hard drive are available for backup. I'm certainly not seeing any
'greyed' out options for partitions/drives as Michael is.