Too many "svchost.exe"!

Frank Shan

Too many "svchost.exe"!
Now I will tell you something about it.
My Vista has 11 processes named "svchost.exe"!
I am now sure there wasn't any virus in my computer,and my system is Vista
Home Pentium.
What's wrong?

Rick Rogers

Re: Too many "svchost.exe"!
Hi Frank,

I have 13 instance running. It's normal. Svchost.exe is used to run a myriad
of system processes.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Frank Shan" <Frankshan.fb@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Now I will tell you something about it.
> My Vista has 11 processes named "svchost.exe"!
> I am now sure there wasn't any virus in my computer,and my system is Vista
> Home Pentium.
> What's wrong?

f/fgeorge

Re: Too many "svchost.exe"!
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 15:31:55 +0800, "Frank Shan"
<Frankshan.fb@gmail.com> wrote:

>Now I will tell you something about it.
>My Vista has 11 processes named "svchost.exe"!
>I am now sure there wasn't any virus in my computer,and my system is Vista
>Home Pentium.
>What's wrong?

svchost.exe is just the name used when Windows has no clue what else
to call the program that is running. Do a Google search and it will
tell you lots.
AJR

Re: Too many "svchost.exe"!
Frank - "svchost.exe." is a "container" which houses running program
threads.

"Frank Shan" <Frankshan.fb@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Now I will tell you something about it.
> My Vista has 11 processes named "svchost.exe"!
> I am now sure there wasn't any virus in my computer,and my system is Vista
> Home Pentium.
> What's wrong?

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Too many "svchost.exe"!
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 15:31:55 +0800, "Frank Shan"
<Frankshan.fb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now I will tell you something about it.
> My Vista has 11 processes named "svchost.exe"!
> I am now sure there wasn't any virus in my computer,and my system is Vista
> Home Pentium.
> What's wrong?

Nothing is wrong. What you describe is perfectly normal.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
arkitect

Re: Too many "svchost.exe"!

Let me just add that svchost.exe is what executes essential Windows
services. Each instance of svchost.exe is responsible for executing its
own stack of services. You can see which services each instance of
svchost.exe is running by using 'Process Explorer'
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx) or the
Task Manager. Just hover your cursor over each svchost.exe in Process
Explorer and you will see a list of services that have been executed by
it. You can also see which services are running in a svchost.exe
instance by right clicking on the instance in Task Manager and then
clicking "Go to service(s)" and every service that runs under the
instance will be highlighted.

It's also important to remember that there are many viruses that call
themselves svchost.exe as a form of disguise. So if you have any
instances of svchost.exe that are not showing services running within
it, have a missing company name or description, then you have something
to worry about.

--
arkitect

www.arkitect.tech.officelive.com
arkitect's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=60
View this thread: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18953

Wilhelm

Re: Too many "svchost.exe"!
I noticed somthing strange when browsing thrue the svchost's services and
came upon the proses SUPERFECTH... i whent browsing around and noticed that
my other pc also has this servie but his is using only 10 mb of ram where
mine as using 175 mb.. this I found stange.

after alot of efort I found that a virus "gumber.exe" was restarting this
proses hundres of times... but until now not a singel antivirus program has
anyway to stop this file! pleas HELP!
Malke

Re: Too many "svchost.exe"!
Wilhelm wrote:

> I noticed somthing strange when browsing thrue the svchost's services and
> came upon the proses SUPERFECTH... i whent browsing around and noticed
> that my other pc also has this servie but his is using only 10 mb of ram
> where mine as using 175 mb.. this I found stange.
>
> after alot of efort I found that a virus "gumber.exe" was restarting this
> proses hundres of times... but until now not a singel antivirus program
> has anyway to stop this file! pleas HELP!

Googling for "gumber.exe" brings me only one link to a Chinese website
referencing an email worm. Since I can't read Chinese, I can only suggest
you follow these general malware removal steps:

Go through these general malware removal steps systematically -

Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to do
all scans in Safe Mode. Please see the special Notes regarding using
Multi_AV in Vista.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Multi-AV - instructions
http://tinyurl.com/yoeru3 - download link and more instructions

When all else fails, get guided help. Choose one of the specialty forums
listed at the first link. Register and read its posting FAQ. PLEASE DO NOT
POST LOGS IN THE MS NEWSGROUPS.

Standard disclaimer: I can't see and test your computer myself, so these are
just suggestions based on many years of being a professional computer tech;
suggestions based on what you've written. You should not take my
suggestions as a definitive diagnosis. If you can't do the work yourself
(and there is no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea), take the
machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local equivalent
of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). Please be aware that not all local shops
are skilled at removing malware and even if they are, your computer may be
so infested that Windows will need to be clean-installed. If possible, have
all your data backed up before you take the machine into a shop.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!