svchost (network) causing performance and general problems

jonathan perreault \(AKA: Feenix, SGE\)

svchost (network) causing performance and general problems
here's how it happened. I was helping someone to fix their computer, they
wanted to install a air card from at&t which uses usb. but for some reason
it wouldn't work on their computer. so I figured, well to remove the device
as the possible culprit for the issues we were having I would test it on my
computer. which was the worse decision I ever made. at first it completely
messed up my graphic driver. windows would boot fine but when it would get
to the welcome screen the entire screen would go dark (running on laptop)
and there was no way to see anything or make the graphic work again. so I
went into safe mode and did a system restore, which fixed that issue and now
everything works except for one thing. svchost in the network category is
running constantly between 50% and 100% of cpu usage. ram usage has improved
(it's using less) and now windows don't recognize that I have mcafee
anti-virus and spam ware running and sending me warning to fix that issue.
and just now I realized that even tho I am connected to a network the icon
at the taskbar isn't updated and is still claiming that there is no network
available. (I know I am connected has I sent this message) hopefully
restarting will fix the network icon part, but I am really tired of running
in slower mode because svchost doesn't stop using my cpu. I am thinking
about using the factory restore disc and get this fixed the easy way, but it
would be very irritating for me as I would lose a lot and would cost me
money in the long run. I am hoping one of you can help me

running windows vista (trash) home premium
2gb ddr2 ram
pentium dual core 1.73ghz
acer extenza 5620-4020

if no one can help me here I will check with acer to see what they think.
but would prefer you guys to help me, as acer takes a couple days to reply
and I need this fixed asap before I go nuts.

thank you

Willem

Re: svchost (network) causing performance and general problems
First of all try to find out which service is causing the high % CPU usage.
In order to do that you first need to find out the PID (Process Identifier)
of that specific svchost process.

To do so, in taskmanager, in the menu, select "View" => Select Columns.
Select the very first entry: "PID (Process Identifier)" and click OK

Now in the "Process" tab you should see an extra column which will enable
you to write down the PID of the problematic svchost.exe (as there are many)
Then from a command prompt type: tasklist /svc

This will show you which services are running in the specific svchost
process with the high % CPU message.
Please let me know which service (most likely several services) are running
in this process.

Willem

"jonathan perreault (AKA: Feenix, SGE)" <jonperreault@verizon.net> wrote in
message news:ex8O7UK$IHA.4380@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...