Screen keeps popping up to register

mworrell

Screen keeps popping up to register

I just reformatted and loaded my computer again (Vista Laptop), put all
the stuff back on it, upgraded, etc. Now I keep getting a screen to
register. I don't need to register. If I hit "do not remind me again"
it still does. If I actually register again, it still comes back. I
had this problem once before but can't remember how to get rid of it.
Help!!!

--
mworrell
Flight

Re: Screen keeps popping up to register

"mworrell" <guest@unknown-email.com> schreef in bericht

> I just reformatted and loaded my computer again (Vista Laptop), put all
> the stuff back on it, upgraded, etc. Now I keep getting a screen to
> register. I don't need to register. If I hit "do not remind me again"
> it still does. If I actually register again, it still comes back. I
> had this problem once before but can't remember how to get rid of it.
> Help!!!
>

> --
> mworrell

Why in earth's name did you FORMAT?? It's years ago that I formatted any
harddisk.

Paul Montgomery

Re: Screen keeps popping up to register
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 04:10:06 -0500, mworrell <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>I just reformatted and loaded my computer again (Vista Laptop), put all
>the stuff back on it, upgraded, etc. Now I keep getting a screen to
>register. I don't need to register. If I hit "do not remind me again"
>it still does. If I actually register again, it still comes back. I
>had this problem once before but can't remember how to get rid of it.
>Help!!!

Register WHAT?
Peter

Re: Screen keeps popping up to register
If you formatted and reinstalled any Windows, Vista or otherwise, you have
to activate it once again.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
"mworrell" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I just reformatted and loaded my computer again (Vista Laptop), put all
> the stuff back on it, upgraded, etc. Now I keep getting a screen to
> register. I don't need to register. If I hit "do not remind me again"
> it still does. If I actually register again, it still comes back. I
> had this problem once before but can't remember how to get rid of it.
> Help!!!
>

> --
> mworrell

Ken Blake, MVP

wrote:

> I just reformatted and loaded my computer again (Vista Laptop), put all
> the stuff back on it, upgraded, etc. Now I keep getting a screen to
> register. I don't need to register. If I hit "do not remind me again"
> it still does. If I actually register again, it still comes back. I
> had this problem once before but can't remember how to get rid of it.
> Help!!!

Registration is completely optional, and of no use to you. What you
need to do is "activate," and if you reinstall, you always need to
redo that. The notice you are getting is telling you to activate, not
register. Did you actually activate or did you register?

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
mworrell

Re: Screen keeps popping up to register

I started the computer again from scratch with the factory settings.
There is nothing wrong with doing that if you don't mind reloading
everything, which I didn't. But when you register, you register over
the internet so this computer is already registered with HP. What I am
saying is it won't let me ignore it or choose not to do it ... no matter
what I choose the screen keeps popping up. This happened when I first
started up the computer at the beginning, after registering for the 1st
time, and HP support told me a way to make it stop. I just wanted to
know if anyone knows how to get rid of the message to register. I don't
remember what they told me.

--
mworrell
Paul Montgomery

Re: Screen keeps popping up to register
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 00:00:38 -0500, mworrell <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>I started the computer again from scratch with the factory settings.
>There is nothing wrong with doing that if you don't mind reloading
>everything, which I didn't. But when you register, you register over
>the internet so this computer is already registered with HP. What I am
>saying is it won't let me ignore it or choose not to do it ... no matter
>what I choose the screen keeps popping up. This happened when I first
>started up the computer at the beginning, after registering for the 1st
>time, and HP support told me a way to make it stop. I just wanted to
>know if anyone knows how to get rid of the message to register. I don't
>remember what they told me.

Do you know how to get into MSCONFIG?

Quite often there will be a reference in there to a file that is
specifically designed to remind you to register. Take a look around
in there and see if you find anything referencing a file in a
directory containing HP files.
Paul Montgomery

wrote:

> But when you register, you register over
>the internet so this computer is already registered with HP.

OR... why don't you just go through the registration process again?
It won't hurt anything, and it will no doubt stop the annoyance.
ctwitchell

Re: Screen keeps popping up to register

The answer to this riddle is that it is actually a scheduled task that
is set to repeat every 30 minutes.

Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Task Scheduler and delete
the entry "Registration" under the Task Scheduler Library section.

Cindy

--
ctwitchell
mworrell