Data Execution Protection - wth?

Cuisi

Data Execution Protection - wth?

I have used the command prompt to disable DEP, or so I thought
(bcdedit.exe/set nx AlwaysOff). But if I use the favorites folder off
of the start menu without starting internet explorer beforehand I
-still- get the DEP error message and IE will not start.

A minor inconvenience, granted. But how can I be getting a DEP error
when I have it turned off... I don't understand.

I started searching for answers and stumbled on this forum. Nice place
. Wasn't sure which topic this question was for, so if this is the
wrong one, I apologize.

Cuisi

--
Cuisi
LeftFoot

RE: Data Execution Protection - wth?
Let me suggest that you might want to find out what's causing the DEP
exception in the first place and correct it, instead of turning off DEP.

From the sound of it, the problem is almost certainly being caused by an
extension / add-on for IE7. Did you try the Manage Add-Ons dialog in IE7 yet
to see if you can find the culprit?

"Cuisi" wrote:

> I have used the command prompt to disable DEP, or so I thought
> (bcdedit.exe/set nx AlwaysOff). But if I use the favorites folder off
> of the start menu without starting internet explorer beforehand I
> -still- get the DEP error message and IE will not start.
>
> A minor inconvenience, granted. But how can I be getting a DEP error
> when I have it turned off... I don't understand.
>
> I started searching for answers and stumbled on this forum. Nice place
> . Wasn't sure which topic this question was for, so if this is the
> wrong one, I apologize.
>
> Cuisi
>

> --
> Cuisi

Cuisi

Re: Data Execution Protection - wth?

I see, I did notice (after I wrote this) that some bookmarks work
without error. I'll look at those add-ons and try to determine what's
going on.

--
Cuisi
Cuisi

Re: Data Execution Protection - wth?

Well, I looked at the add-on manager, but I'm at a loss as far as trying
to determine which one might be the problem. I still don't understand
how dep is shutting down IE7 when it is suposed to be off though ???

--
Cuisi
Ian D

"Cuisi" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Well, I looked at the add-on manager, but I'm at a loss as far as trying
> to determine which one might be the problem. I still don't understand
> how dep is shutting down IE7 when it is suposed to be off though ???
>

> --
> Cuisi

There's also an Execute Bit setting in BIOS for Intel CPUs. If you
have a recent Intel CPU, did you try disabling that setting?

Brink

Cuisi;802948 Wrote:
> Well, I looked at the add-on manager, but I'm at a loss as far as trying
> to determine which one might be the problem. I still don't understand
> how dep is shutting down IE7 when it is suposed to be off though ???

Hello Cuisi,

IE7 has a separate DEP option as well for security.

To test and see what add-on is causing this problem in IE7, see this
tutorial.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...rer-reset.html

To turn DEP off in IE7 as well, see Option Two in this tutorial.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/12...e-disable.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Cuisi

Re: Data Execution Protection - wth?

Thanks for the replies. I checked the IE option and it says it is off.
But I'm not sure if the default it is using when opening favorites is 64
bit or 32 bit as I seem to have both versions on this system. Something
else for me to look at...

--
Cuisi
Brink

Cuisi;803872 Wrote:
> Thanks for the replies. I checked the IE option and it says it is off.
> But I'm not sure if the default it is using when opening favorites is 64
> bit or 32 bit as I seem to have both versions on this system. Something
> else for me to look at...

Cuisi,

It should be the 32 bit IE7 it uses by default. "C:\Program Files
(x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe".

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Cuisi

Re: Data Execution Protection - wth?

Yes, you're right it is 32 by default. So I'm even more at a loss then
I was, since I have it turned off there (as it shows in that tutorial)
as well as having it off in the OS settings. Yet it still kicks in and
shuts down IE 7 when I click some links in my favorites folder.

Here is something else I noticed. It only kills it if I have no
instance of the browser running and go straight to my favorites. If I
have it running and go to my favorites, it starts a new browser window
and goes straight there with no problems at all. I give up, I'll just
start the browser before I go to my favorites I guess.

--
Cuisi
Brink

Re: Data Execution Protection - wth?

That is strange. You might run a *sfc/ scannow* command to see if it can
find and fix any bad system files that may be contributing to this.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66...c-command.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn