Vista Display Problems After Startup

gungo

Vista Display Problems After Startup

I'm having trouble with my vista display, a couple of seconds after
startup my screen appears to have a white wash (high
brightness/contrast) effect it seems like it might be caused by a
process starting but i can't isolate it- I've tried adjusting the
monitor and desktop settings but cannot resolve the problem- has anyone
else experienced this or got a solution?

--
gungo
Malke

Re: Vista Display Problems After Startup
gungo wrote:

> I'm having trouble with my vista display, a couple of seconds after
> startup my screen appears to have a white wash (high
> brightness/contrast) effect it seems like it might be caused by a
> process starting but i can't isolate it- I've tried adjusting the
> monitor and desktop settings but cannot resolve the problem- has anyone
> else experienced this or got a solution?

Video card make/model? Computer make/model? Have you installed the most
current drivers (see below for general drivers information)? If yes, have
you tried rolling back the drivers to ones that worked?

=====
The First Law of Driver Updates is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Normally if everything is working you want to leave things as they are. The
exception is that heavy-duty gamers will usually want to update their video
and sound drivers to squeeze every last bit of performance out of the
hardware to get the fastest frame rates. If you're not one of those people,
you don't need to update your drivers if there are no problems you are
trying to solve.

Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM computer
(HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific model
machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor or System Information for Windows.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows

If you have installed drivers from Windows Update, you can roll them back:

Roll Back Troublesome Device Drivers in Windows Vista from the How-To Geek -
http://tinyurl.com/346lox
=====

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

mikeyhsd

Re: Vista Display Problems After Startup
if you think it is a startup program.
then use MSCONFIG and disable startup items .
test it,
then enable a couple at a time and test again.

WINDOWS KEY + R will bring up the RUN dialogue box.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"gungo" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:5eaabe3508bb182325cd9fdc76b619ec@nntp-gateway.com...

I'm having trouble with my vista display, a couple of seconds after
startup my screen appears to have a white wash (high
brightness/contrast) effect it seems like it might be caused by a
process starting but i can't isolate it- I've tried adjusting the
monitor and desktop settings but cannot resolve the problem- has anyone
else experienced this or got a solution?

--
gungo
mirek

Re: Vista Display Problems After Startup
I had similar problem with ATI card, after exiting game the color gamma of
the desktop has changed and it sayed that way even after reboot, the solution
is to go to graphic card control panel and reset the color settings in case
of ATI its CCC (Catalyst Control Center).
Check color settings on you graphic card control panel and set them to defaults,
if it won't help try to adjust gamma or colors manually.

> I'm having trouble with my vista display, a couple of seconds after
> startup my screen appears to have a white wash (high
> brightness/contrast) effect it seems like it might be caused by a
> process starting but i can't isolate it- I've tried adjusting the
> monitor and desktop settings but cannot resolve the problem- has
> anyone else experienced this or got a solution?

Michael

Re: Vista Display Problems After Startup
gungo <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>I'm having trouble with my vista display, a couple of seconds after
>startup my screen appears to have a white wash (high
>brightness/contrast) effect it seems like it might be caused by a
>process starting but i can't isolate it- I've tried adjusting the
>monitor and desktop settings but cannot resolve the problem- has anyone
>else experienced this or got a solution?

Hi gungo or anybody else,

I'm seeing a very similar problem on an Acer laptop. It's hard to
troubleshoot because it is intermittent, it doesn't happen every
startup. Have you (or anybody reading) found a fix?

Thank you,

Michael