initialise disk

maeve

initialise disk
Hi, I have Vista and I have a hard drive that I had for my personal stuff
from XP, my son installed it into my new PC then I got the drive
disconnected so as not to void the warranty when the technician from Acer
came to fix a problem I was having. I decided to get a casing for the drive
and use it as a USB device but can't initialise the disk.
I go to control panel/admin. tools/computer management/disk management. My
disk shows but I don't know how to initalize from there. When I right click
I get a help message only and not the options I get when I right click my
other drives.
The guy who sold me the casing installed the drive for me and I'm sure it is
OK as it shows that the disk is there.
It doesn't show when I look in the computer.
Thanks, I hope I have explained my problem properly and that I have the
right newsgroup!

Rick Rogers

Re: initialise disk
Hi,

How does the space on the disk read?
Have you tried rescan?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"maeve" <meathome@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi, I have Vista and I have a hard drive that I had for my personal stuff
> from XP, my son installed it into my new PC then I got the drive
> disconnected so as not to void the warranty when the technician from Acer
> came to fix a problem I was having. I decided to get a casing for the
> drive
> and use it as a USB device but can't initialise the disk.
> I go to control panel/admin. tools/computer management/disk management.
> My
> disk shows but I don't know how to initalize from there. When I right
> click
> I get a help message only and not the options I get when I right click my
> other drives.
> The guy who sold me the casing installed the drive for me and I'm sure it
> is
> OK as it shows that the disk is there.
> It doesn't show when I look in the computer.
> Thanks, I hope I have explained my problem properly and that I have the
> right newsgroup!

Ramesh MVP

Re: initialise disk

Make sure the disk's jumper setting is set to Master Slave.

--
Ramesh MVP

'Ramesh Kumar' (http://itsmywindows.com)
Microsoft MVP