Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Scheduled defrag

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2008
Mike
 

Posts: n/a
Scheduled defrag
The scheduled defrag task has the action "defrag -c -i -g"

Does anybody know what the undocumented -i and -g switches do?


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2008
Ramesh, MS-MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Scheduled defrag
The Storage Team at Microsoft - File Cabinet Blog : A quick note about
Defrag.exe parameters in Windows Vista:
http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/arc...arameters.aspx

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog


"Mike" <reply@to.group> wrote in message
news:OXogDnq%23IHA.4020@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> The scheduled defrag task has the action "defrag -c -i -g"
>
> Does anybody know what the undocumented -i and -g switches do?
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2008
Gary S. Terhune
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Scheduled defrag
I'll put $5 on -i being "only when system is idle".

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User
http://grystmill.com

"Mike" <reply@to.group> wrote in message
news:OXogDnq%23IHA.4020@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> The scheduled defrag task has the action "defrag -c -i -g"
>
> Does anybody know what the undocumented -i and -g switches do?
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2008
Gary S. Terhune
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Scheduled defrag
Aww, man! 8 minutes to late.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User
http://grystmill.com

"Gary S. Terhune" <none> wrote in message
news:OWYEByq%23IHA.4912@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> I'll put $5 on -i being "only when system is idle".
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://grystmill.com
>
> "Mike" <reply@to.group> wrote in message
> news:OXogDnq%23IHA.4020@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> The scheduled defrag task has the action "defrag -c -i -g"
>>
>> Does anybody know what the undocumented -i and -g switches do?
>>
>>

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2008
Mike
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Scheduled defrag

The scheduled task that runs defrag has the 'stop if the computer ceases to
be idle' condition checked. Why would defrag need it as well?

any ideas on the -g switch?


"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@unknownhost> wrote in message
news:eUDaDvq#IHA.4196@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> The Storage Team at Microsoft - File Cabinet Blog : A quick note about
> Defrag.exe parameters in Windows Vista:
> http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/arc...arameters.aspx
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
> The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
>
>
> "Mike" <reply@to.group> wrote in message
> news:OXogDnq%23IHA.4020@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> The scheduled defrag task has the action "defrag -c -i -g"
>>
>> Does anybody know what the undocumented -i and -g switches do?
>>
>>

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2008
Mike
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Scheduled defrag
where's your money for the -g switch?

"Gary S. Terhune" <none> wrote in message
news:u55UA1q#IHA.2060@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Aww, man! 8 minutes to late.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://grystmill.com
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" <none> wrote in message
> news:OWYEByq%23IHA.4912@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> I'll put $5 on -i being "only when system is idle".
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://grystmill.com
>>
>> "Mike" <reply@to.group> wrote in message
>> news:OXogDnq%23IHA.4020@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>> The scheduled defrag task has the action "defrag -c -i -g"
>>>
>>> Does anybody know what the undocumented -i and -g switches do?
>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2008
Hobbes
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Scheduled defrag
"Mike" <reply@to.group> wrote in message
news:eBr1B8t%23IHA.5056@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> where's your money for the -g switch?
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" <none> wrote in message
> news:u55UA1q#IHA.2060@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Aww, man! 8 minutes to late.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://grystmill.com
>>
>> "Gary S. Terhune" <none> wrote in message
>> news:OWYEByq%23IHA.4912@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> I'll put $5 on -i being "only when system is idle".
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>> http://grystmill.com
>>>
>>> "Mike" <reply@to.group> wrote in message
>>> news:OXogDnq%23IHA.4020@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>>> The scheduled defrag task has the action "defrag -c -i -g"
>>>>
>>>> Does anybody know what the undocumented -i and -g switches do?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>



Running defrag c: -g from the command line generates 2 reports.

--
Hobbes, Tiger Extraordinaire

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2008
Gary S. Terhune
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Scheduled defrag
If I had even a guess about the -g switch, I'd lay it down. I have no idea
what the -g switch does.

Where did you learn about betting, because you sound absolutely clueless,
<g>.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User
http://grystmill.com

"Mike" <reply@to.group> wrote in message
news:eBr1B8t%23IHA.5056@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> where's your money for the -g switch?
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" <none> wrote in message
> news:u55UA1q#IHA.2060@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Aww, man! 8 minutes to late.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://grystmill.com
>>
>> "Gary S. Terhune" <none> wrote in message
>> news:OWYEByq%23IHA.4912@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> I'll put $5 on -i being "only when system is idle".
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>> http://grystmill.com
>>>
>>> "Mike" <reply@to.group> wrote in message
>>> news:OXogDnq%23IHA.4020@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>>> The scheduled defrag task has the action "defrag -c -i -g"
>>>>
>>>> Does anybody know what the undocumented -i and -g switches do?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>>



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2008
Gary S. Terhune
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Scheduled defrag
Redundancy?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User
http://grystmill.com

"Mike" <reply@to.group> wrote in message
news:u0Jde7t%23IHA.4788@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
> The scheduled task that runs defrag has the 'stop if the computer ceases
> to be idle' condition checked. Why would defrag need it as well?
>
> any ideas on the -g switch?
>
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@unknownhost> wrote in message
> news:eUDaDvq#IHA.4196@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> The Storage Team at Microsoft - File Cabinet Blog : A quick note about
>> Defrag.exe parameters in Windows Vista:
>> http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/arc...arameters.aspx
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>> The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
>>
>>
>> "Mike" <reply@to.group> wrote in message
>> news:OXogDnq%23IHA.4020@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>> The scheduled defrag task has the action "defrag -c -i -g"
>>>
>>> Does anybody know what the undocumented -i and -g switches do?
>>>
>>>

>>
>>



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2008
Marc
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Scheduled defrag
Mike wrote:
> where's your money for the -g switch?


It sends a report of all your files (and their fragmentation status!) to
the Government. Doh!

Marc
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Defrag increases "used space" as reported by command-line defrag - =?Utf-8?B?bXdoaXRpbmcwMDFAaG90bWFpbC5jb20uTk9fU1BBTQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 15 06-19-2009 21:34
Scheduled defrag Mike microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 9 08-12-2008 22:45
Scheduled Defrag in Vista Home Premium roger microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 9 01-07-2008 19:39
defrag comand vs defrag windows species8350 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 9 05-07-2007 12:41
Scheduled programs, defrag. etc. auto run at 3:00 a.m.? =?Utf-8?B?SmVycnkgSHVnaGVz?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 04-13-2007 16:44




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:16.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120