slow-file transfer

RICK

slow-file transfer
I have been struggling for months now with slow file transfer (Vista Home
Premium SP1 to Vista Home Premium SP1). Currently, I am trying to transfer a
2.95 GB file. The last ten minutes have been met with "Calculating Time
Remaining". If the trend holds once the calculation is done it will tell me
that the transfer will take around 15 hours. I stand corrected it is 1 Day
and 15 hours.

Remote Differential Compression is off. Hardware is Wireless N Router
(Dlink) and USB Wireless G USB adapters on both computers. Wireless
connection is three bars on one PC and five on the other PC.

Rick
Kerry Brown

Re: slow-file transfer
Part of the problem is the USB wireless adapters. You are being hit with two
things that are slow - USB and wireless. That said the transfer should still
be much faster that what you are experiencing. Try these changes:

http://silverstr.ufies.org/blog/archives/001035.html

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"RICK" <RICK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been struggling for months now with slow file transfer (Vista Home
> Premium SP1 to Vista Home Premium SP1). Currently, I am trying to
> transfer a
> 2.95 GB file. The last ten minutes have been met with "Calculating Time
> Remaining". If the trend holds once the calculation is done it will tell
> me
> that the transfer will take around 15 hours. I stand corrected it is 1
> Day
> and 15 hours.
>
> Remote Differential Compression is off. Hardware is Wireless N Router
> (Dlink) and USB Wireless G USB adapters on both computers. Wireless
> connection is three bars on one PC and five on the other PC.
>
> Rick

RICK

Re: slow-file transfer
But aren't your changes for Internet speed. My Internet speed is fine. It
is the file transfer from computer to computer.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> Part of the problem is the USB wireless adapters. You are being hit with two
> things that are slow - USB and wireless. That said the transfer should still
> be much faster that what you are experiencing. Try these changes:
>
> http://silverstr.ufies.org/blog/archives/001035.html
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
> http://vistahelpca.blogspot.com/
>

> "RICK" <RICK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have been struggling for months now with slow file transfer (Vista Home
> > Premium SP1 to Vista Home Premium SP1). Currently, I am trying to
> > transfer a
> > 2.95 GB file. The last ten minutes have been met with "Calculating Time
> > Remaining". If the trend holds once the calculation is done it will tell
> > me
> > that the transfer will take around 15 hours. I stand corrected it is 1
> > Day
> > and 15 hours.
> >
> > Remote Differential Compression is off. Hardware is Wireless N Router
> > (Dlink) and USB Wireless G USB adapters on both computers. Wireless
> > connection is three bars on one PC and five on the other PC.
> >
> > Rick

Kerry Brown

Re: slow-file transfer
The changes affect the way Vista talks to other other computers, both on the
local network and on the Internet. The changes essentially turn off the
advanced networking features in Vista. Some network hardware doesn't work
properly with these advanced features and causes problems which can include
the slowdown you are seeing. If the changes don't fix the problem the
article also tells you how to reverse them. Make the changes, reboot, see if
the problem is any better. If it's not reverse the changes and reboot once
again.

--

> But aren't your changes for Internet speed. My Internet speed is fine.
> It
> is the file transfer from computer to computer.
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> Part of the problem is the USB wireless adapters. You are being hit with
>> two
>> things that are slow - USB and wireless. That said the transfer should
>> still
>> be much faster that what you are experiencing. Try these changes:
>>
>> http://silverstr.ufies.org/blog/archives/001035.html
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>> http://vistahelpca.blogspot.com/
>>

>> "RICK" <RICK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have been struggling for months now with slow file transfer (Vista
>> > Premium SP1 to Vista Home Premium SP1). Currently, I am trying to
>> > transfer a
>> > 2.95 GB file. The last ten minutes have been met with "Calculating
>> > Time
>> > Remaining". If the trend holds once the calculation is done it will
>> > tell
>> > me
>> > that the transfer will take around 15 hours. I stand corrected it is
>> > 1
>> > Day
>> > and 15 hours.
>> >
>> > Remote Differential Compression is off. Hardware is Wireless N Router
>> > (Dlink) and USB Wireless G USB adapters on both computers. Wireless
>> > connection is three bars on one PC and five on the other PC.
>> >
>> > Rick

RICK

RE: slow-file transfer
Should I be upgrading my adapters to Wireless-N as well. How much will this
help?

Has anyone used a system where you create a wireless telephone adapter near
your computer. Can you hook DSL up to a wireless telephone adapter? Is this
even a possiblity.

Of course wired would be the best but currently I don't see any way to hook
things up wired; older home with addition and no basement.

"RICK" wrote:

> I have been struggling for months now with slow file transfer (Vista Home
> Premium SP1 to Vista Home Premium SP1). Currently, I am trying to transfer a
> 2.95 GB file. The last ten minutes have been met with "Calculating Time
> Remaining". If the trend holds once the calculation is done it will tell me
> that the transfer will take around 15 hours. I stand corrected it is 1 Day
> and 15 hours.
>
> Remote Differential Compression is off. Hardware is Wireless N Router
> (Dlink) and USB Wireless G USB adapters on both computers. Wireless
> connection is three bars on one PC and five on the other PC.
>
> Rick

MilesAhead

Re: slow-file transfer

Rick I'm not sure about the networking issues but I'm having very good
luck using the
TeraCopy beta in Vista. It lets you adjust file buffer sizes in the
Options.ini file. I have a 10/100 wired network XP Pro to Vista Home
Premium 32 bit and my copies over the Lan with TeraCopy are in the range
of 8 to 11 MB/sec. Using the Windows shell copy it's usually around 6
MB/sec max.

Also I use FreeCommander file manager and use TeraCopy beta for the
copy and moves instead of the Windows shell copy! No hanging
"calculating" dialog.

At the bottom of this page is the download link:

'Code Sector Blog ╗ Blog Archive ╗ TeraCopy 2.0 beta 4'
(http://blog.codesector.com/2008/08/0...opy-20-beta-4/)

If you use FreeCommander see their forum for how to set up to use
TeraCopy as the default copy/move program.

--
MilesAhead

"Why is half the world named after a guy I never heard of?"