Cleaning files/registry after fresh install

Athanasian Creed

Cleaning files/registry after fresh install
Greetings all,

I just recently reinstalled Win Vista Ultimate and approx. 25 programs along
with it (all up-to-date versions)

After doing all that, i wanted to run CCleaner to get rid of whatever crap
buildup was present. To my absolute horror, there was approx. 2.5 GIGS of
garbage after a clean install plus around 100 registry entries. Where the
heck did all the crap come from??? I've never experienced having so much,
much less on a clean, fresh install!!! When i went to clean the build up, i
noticed that CCleaner (??) had placed some files, around 15 or so (eg.
notepad.exe, explorer.exe) in C:/Windows, individually under all the file
folders.

I (foolishly) deleted all the files, thinking they were duplicates (they
weren't!!!) Obviously, deleting explorer.exe meant that upon restart
Windows won't boot (thank GOD for Rollback Rx!!!)

I'm at a loss as to what to do - clean or leave be??

Ray

Mick Murphy

RE: Cleaning files/registry after fresh install
Only one thing you should do: READ before you click!
There are a heap of options in CCleaner.
If you don't read them, don't use it!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Athanasian Creed <><" wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I just recently reinstalled Win Vista Ultimate and approx. 25 programs along
> with it (all up-to-date versions)
>
> After doing all that, i wanted to run CCleaner to get rid of whatever crap
> buildup was present. To my absolute horror, there was approx. 2.5 GIGS of
> garbage after a clean install plus around 100 registry entries. Where the
> heck did all the crap come from??? I've never experienced having so much,
> much less on a clean, fresh install!!! When i went to clean the build up, i
> noticed that CCleaner (??) had placed some files, around 15 or so (eg.
> notepad.exe, explorer.exe) in C:/Windows, individually under all the file
> folders.
>
> I (foolishly) deleted all the files, thinking they were duplicates (they
> weren't!!!) Obviously, deleting explorer.exe meant that upon restart
> Windows won't boot (thank GOD for Rollback Rx!!!)
>
> I'm at a loss as to what to do - clean or leave be??
>

> Ray

Paul Montgomery

Re: Cleaning files/registry after fresh install
On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 23:44:15 -0400, "Athanasian Creed <><"
<athanasian_creed(NOSPAM)@(NOSPAM)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Greetings all,
>
>I just recently reinstalled Win Vista Ultimate and approx. 25 programs along
>with it (all up-to-date versions)
>
>After doing all that, i wanted to run CCleaner to get rid of whatever crap
>buildup was present. To my absolute horror, there was approx. 2.5 GIGS of
>garbage after a clean install plus around 100 registry entries. Where the
>heck did all the crap come from???

CCleaner gives you a list to check. You didn't? As to the volume of
files... probably mostly temporary files from all the installations.
No big deal.

> I've never experienced having so much,
>much less on a clean, fresh install!!! When i went to clean the build up, i
>noticed that CCleaner (??) had placed some files, around 15 or so (eg.
>notepad.exe, explorer.exe) in C:/Windows, individually under all the file
>folders.

CCleaner doesn't move a thing.

>I (foolishly) deleted all the files, thinking they were duplicates (they
>weren't!!!) Obviously, deleting explorer.exe meant that upon restart
>Windows won't boot (thank GOD for Rollback Rx!!!)
>
>I'm at a loss as to what to do - clean or leave be??

Run the System File Checker.

Google it if you don't know what it is or how to do it.
Athanasian Creed

> Only one thing you should do: READ before you click!
> There are a heap of options in CCleaner.
> If you don't read them, don't use it!
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

You're assuming i've never used CCleaner before when, in fact, i've used it
for years!

I DO "read before (i) click" I'm very careful.

Sheesh - thanks for nothin' 'MATE'

Ray

Athanasian Creed

"Paul Montgomery" <nonnymoose@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 23:44:15 -0400, "Athanasian Creed <><"
> <athanasian_creed(NOSPAM)@(NOSPAM)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Greetings all,
>>
>>I just recently reinstalled Win Vista Ultimate and approx. 25 programs
>>along
>>with it (all up-to-date versions)
>>
>>After doing all that, i wanted to run CCleaner to get rid of whatever crap
>>buildup was present. To my absolute horror, there was approx. 2.5 GIGS of
>>garbage after a clean install plus around 100 registry entries. Where the
>>heck did all the crap come from???

> CCleaner gives you a list to check. You didn't? As to the volume of
> files... probably mostly temporary files from all the installations.
> No big deal.

** Correct - it was temp files from the installations. I deleted them from
the C:\User\Raymond\AppData\Temp file.

>> I've never experienced having so much,
>>much less on a clean, fresh install!!! When i went to clean the build up,
>>noticed that CCleaner (??) had placed some files, around 15 or so (eg.
>>notepad.exe, explorer.exe) in C:/Windows, individually under all the file
>>folders.

> CCleaner doesn't move a thing.

** Well, i certainly didn't move it nor did i run the 'chkdsk for
consistency' when prompted upon startup, so that operation didn't move any
files either. Really strange.

Now my problem is, after deleting via 'Windows Explorer', i got a BSOD upon
reboot, restarted and it booted into Windows. I immediately rebooted and
Windows wanted to check the disk for consistency (which i allowed) Moved a
few files around, restarted and everything was OK EXCEPT that when i reran
CCleaner, thinking it would show 1.8 GB less clutter, it still showed 2.5 GB
of clutter to delete!!! Something like that makes me think that there is
something wrong with CCleaner and how it's calculating the junk to delete,
at least in my case.

Oh well, c'est la vie!

Ray