Bad System Restore Problems

ALJSWise

Bad System Restore Problems
I have a new Sony FZ4000 VAIO Notebook (Intel® Core 2™ Duo Processor T8300
(2.4GHz)-3 GB DDR SDRAM-160 GB Hard Drive) I purchased in May 2008 with Vista
Home Premium for my daughter to take to college.

Everything worked great until I installed an HP PhotoSmart 4385 printer. No
problems with the installation of the printer, but afterward I noticed the
startup time to get to the desktop was substantially longer and applications
were hanging sometimes to the extent that everything froze, task manager
would not work, and I had to shut off the computer by pressing the power
button, which I hate to do.

Bottom line, I knew the printer install was likely the problem. I got
instructions on doing a complete uninstall of the printer, but wanted some
extra protection by checking system restore as I had manually set a restore
point before the install and wanted to set one before uninstalling.

I discovered there were NO restore points at all, even though I know they
were present before. I went ahead and did a clean install of my HP software
the problems with the computer being slow and applications hanging was
resolved.

I decided to try to create a restore point, it said it was created, but when
I clicked the OK button on the System Protection Menu, nothing happened and
later I got a message that System Protection was not responding. The
application hung and I could not close it, even with task manager.

I was able to restart without turning off the computer, but when I restarted
a popup message appeared that said "Application Popup
SystemPropertiesProtection.exe corrupt file or dir \system volume information
is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the chkdsk utility." When I looked at
the event log, I found an event ID 55, stating "The file system structure on
the disk is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the chkdsk utility on 'volume
recovery.'"

The reference to the volume "recovery" seemed odd. On the Sony laptop there
is a recovery function to restore the computer's to its factory original
state but (unlike my Gateway laptop) it is not set up as Drive letter volume
and there is no way to run chkdsk on it. In any event, I ran chkdsk on C:
and restarted my computer and things seemed normal.

When I looked at System Protection, however, I noticed both C: and Recovery
are listed and you have the ability to check both boxes to have system
restore points created automatically. I have learned from this forum that
you should not have System Restore points created for the recovery volume,
but some reason it was checked (don't recall doing it and believe Microsoft
should warn not to check a recovery volume in System Restore). Anyway, I
unchecked it and restarted my computer to purge this setting. (This may
account to the earlier reference to running chkdsk on the volume "recovery").

Okay, the problem with the computer not being able create a restore point
for C: continues, it says it's created, but I can't click OK on the System
Protection Menu to close it and later System Protection stops responding. I
have gotten the same two error messages since then in restarting the computer
except the message says to run chkdsk on the C: Volume (do not get anything
about the "recovery" volume any more).

I believe that after running chkdsk everything else runs okay, except System
Restore is nonfunctional. I do not want to send my daughter off to college
with a unstable computer that I will have to fix via phone without the
ability to try a System restore to solve a problem. It is not God's gift to
computers, but it does come in handy at times. The computer is within its
warrant to Sony, but so far Sony tech has been less than helpful.

Does anyone have any ideas on fixing System Restore or
SystemPropertiesProtect.exe and making sure that the computer will not have
recurrent disk problems. I have only using the chkdsk option (1) auto fix
file system errors not (2) scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
because the chkdsk log shows only 4kb of bad sectors.

Thanks
ALJSWise
Paul Montgomery

Re: Bad System Restore Problems
On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 19:30:04 -0700, ALJSWise
<ALJSWise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Does anyone have any ideas on fixing System Restore or
>SystemPropertiesProtect.exe and making sure that the computer will not have
>recurrent disk problems. I have only using the chkdsk option (1) auto fix
>file system errors not (2) scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
>because the chkdsk log shows only 4kb of bad sectors.

You definitely have to contact your vendor's support and get them to
fix the problem or replace the computer.

Don't play with this yourself when it's covered by warrantly.
Hans-Georg Michna

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 19:30:04 -0700, ALJSWise wrote:

>Does anyone have any ideas on fixing System Restore

First thing I do when System Restore doesn't work are:

1. Disable it for all drives.

2. Totally remove the System Volume Information folder.

For this you may have to take ownership of the folder, then set
give everyone write permission.

3. Re-enable System Restore for the desired drives.

4. Manually create a restore point.

5. Roll back the system to that restore point to check whether
it works.

If all this doesn't help, check the links at the bottom of
http://winhlp.com/node/233 .

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.
dale031867

Re: Bad System Restore Problems
I'm on my 2nd big bad entertainment computer in less than 3 weeks. This
Windows Vista System Restore has been a heart ache on both computers. The
$900.00 entertainment laptop computer at Walmart,.... Just keep on walking.
..... : (
I'm glad I glad I checked out this dog of a computer out real good before my
right to return this heap expired. It seems like for $900.00... I'm going to
get my money back!