Which Registry Repair/System Maintainance software???

goorambatman

Which Registry Repair/System Maintainance software???
There are a lot of System Fixers/Maintainers/Registry Repairers out there,
which one is the best and what do you recommend?

I've had good results with Registry Mechanic and heard good things about
RegistryBooster 2 and noticed that they are Certified Microsoft Partners.
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Which Registry Repair/System Maintainance software???
"goorambatman" <goorambatman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> There are a lot of System Fixers/Maintainers/Registry Repairers out there,
> which one is the best and what do you recommend?
>
> I've had good results with Registry Mechanic and heard good things about
> RegistryBooster 2 and noticed that they are Certified Microsoft Partners.

I wouldn't recommend any..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Malke

goorambatman wrote:

> There are a lot of System Fixers/Maintainers/Registry Repairers out there,
> which one is the best and what do you recommend?
>
> I've had good results with Registry Mechanic and heard good things about
> RegistryBooster 2 and noticed that they are Certified Microsoft Partners.

None. It isn't really necessary to "maintain" the registry. If you have
changes you want to make and can't do it by hand, leave it alone. Or you'll
be posting back here shortly with a hosed Windows/Office install, crying
about it. At that point, no one will be sympathetic.

See this thread for details about registry cleaners:

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Ralph

Re: Which Registry Repair/System Maintainance software???
Mr. Hall gives good advice!

If you need a registry repair to get the system to boot, then you need one
procedure.
1. Back up your files (somehow) - this should be done regularly, and I'm
as guilty as anyone for not doing it often enough
2. repair the registry only enough to let the system boot
3. If it does, back up your files (can't be stressed enough)
4. Re-install the OS, and start over. (which gets rid of the registry
mess-up)

The only use for these things is in dire need. They can, and will cause
greif.
If your system boots, you don't want it.
Don't mess with a system that keeps your computer running, unless you're
prepared for the results.

Or for a more personal comparison:
Don't eat spicy food, unless you can take the results.

"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@remove_mvps.com> wrote in message
> "goorambatman" <goorambatman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> There are a lot of System Fixers/Maintainers/Registry Repairers out
>> there,
>> which one is the best and what do you recommend?
>>
>> I've had good results with Registry Mechanic and heard good things about
>> RegistryBooster 2 and noticed that they are Certified Microsoft Partners.

> I wouldn't recommend any..
>

> --
> Mike Hall - MVP
> How to construct a good post..
> http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
> How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc
> Mike's Window - My Blog..

John Barnett MVP

Re: Which Registry Repair/System Maintainance software???
The best advice that anyone can give you is this:

If you are not competent enough to manually edit the registry, then leave
well alone.

In general registry repair software usually ends up causing more trouble
than it 'apparently' cures. My advise is stay well clear of them.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"goorambatman" <goorambatman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> There are a lot of System Fixers/Maintainers/Registry Repairers out there,
> which one is the best and what do you recommend?
>
> I've had good results with Registry Mechanic and heard good things about
> RegistryBooster 2 and noticed that they are Certified Microsoft Partners.

Spirit

Re: Which Registry Repair/System Maintainance software???
I recommend RegRun Gold or better Platinum. These are not Registry
Cleaner they guard the registry from being written to as well as other
system security measures. Been using it for years.

http://www.greatis.com/security/

"goorambatman" <goorambatman@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1F6E684E-F781-4AF2-A6F2-8195E1C2AC01@microsoft.com...
> There are a lot of System Fixers/Maintainers/Registry Repairers out there,
> which one is the best and what do you recommend?
>
> I've had good results with Registry Mechanic and heard good things about
> RegistryBooster 2 and noticed that they are Certified Microsoft Partners.

Spirit

Re: Which Registry Repair/System Maintainance software???
Besides sophisticated Registry Protection the RegRun Rescue which creates
an automated backup scenario for the Registry and other important files which
which you can add to is Excellent.

http://www.greatis.com/security/rescue.htm

http://www.greatis.com/security/detail.htm#FULL
Version Comparisons

http://www.greatis.com/webhelp/regrunhelp.htm
More Details

"Spirit" <noone@notthere.net> wrote in message news:OodjARw9IHA.1428@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
I recommend RegRun Gold or better Platinum. These are not Registry
Cleaner they guard the registry from being written to as well as other
system security measures. Been using it for years.

http://www.greatis.com/security/

"goorambatman" <goorambatman@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1F6E684E-F781-4AF2-A6F2-8195E1C2AC01@microsoft.com...
> There are a lot of System Fixers/Maintainers/Registry Repairers out there,
> which one is the best and what do you recommend?
>
> I've had good results with Registry Mechanic and heard good things about
> RegistryBooster 2 and noticed that they are Certified Microsoft Partners.

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Which Registry Repair/System Maintainance software???
On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 04:43:00 -0700, goorambatman
<goorambatman@hotmail.com> wrote:

> There are a lot of System Fixers/Maintainers/Registry Repairers out there,
> which one is the best and what do you recommend?
>
> I've had good results with Registry Mechanic and heard good things about
> RegistryBooster 2 and noticed that they are Certified Microsoft Partners.

The best one is *none* of them. I recommend against all such programs.
Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the
registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.

The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
it may have.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Bruce Chambers

goorambatman wrote:
> There are a lot of System Fixers/Maintainers/Registry Repairers out there,
> which one is the best and what do you recommend?

None of them. They're all virtually useless, and potentially
dangerous, as well. Any so-called registry "cleaner" is nothing more
than a worthless snake oil remedy whose sole purpose is to separate you
from some of your money.

> I've had good results with Registry Mechanic ....

What "results" did you have? About the best that can be expected is
that the OS remained usable.

Snipped....

> ...and noticed that they are Certified Microsoft Partners.

Which means only that they've paid a licensing fee to Microsoft so they
can use Microsoft logos in their advertising material. It *doesn't*
mean that Microsoft endorses/recommends them or the use of their products.

Why do you think you'd ever need to clean your registry? What
specific *problems* are you actually experiencing (not some program's
bogus listing of imaginary problems) that you think can be fixed by
using a registry "cleaner?"

If you do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would
be far better to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the
specific key(s) and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. After
all, why use a chainsaw when a scalpel will do the job? Additionally,
the manually changing of one or two registry entries is far less likely
to have the dire consequences of allowing an automated product to make
multiple changes simultaneously. The only thing needed to safely clean
your registry is knowledge and Regedit.exe.

The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
each and every change.

Having repeatedly seen the results of inexperienced people using
automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
of the inexperienced user. If you lack the knowledge and experience to
maintain your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
no matter how safe they claim to be.

More importantly, no one has ever demonstrated that the use of an
automated registry "cleaner," particularly by an untrained,
inexperienced computer user, does any real good, whatsoever. There's
certainly been no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use
of such products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's
performance or stability. Given the potential for harm, it's just not
worth the risk.

Granted, most registry "cleaners" won't cause problems each and
every time they're used, but the potential for harm is always there.
And, since no registry "cleaner" has ever been demonstrated to do any
good (think of them like treating the flu with chicken soup - there's no
real medicinal value, but it sometimes provides a warming placebo
effect), I always tell people that the risks far out-weigh the
non-existent benefits.

I will concede that a good registry *scanning* tool, in the hands
of an experienced and knowledgeable technician or hobbyist can be a
useful time-saving diagnostic tool, as long as it's not allowed to make
any changes automatically. But I really don't think that there are any
registry "cleaners" that are truly safe for the general public to use.
Experience has proven just the opposite: such tools simply are not safe
in the hands of the inexperienced user.

A little light reading on the subject:

Why I don’t use registry cleaners | Ed Bott’s Windows Expertise |
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Wingwong Woo

Re: Which Registry Repair/System Maintainance software???
"John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in

> The best advice that anyone can give you is this:
>
> If you are not competent enough to manually edit the registry, then
> leave well alone.
>
> In general registry repair software usually ends up causing more
> trouble than it 'apparently' cures. My advise is stay well clear of
> them.

Sometimes you need to though because some ****ware has caused an issue in
the registry. I use CrapCleaner as it has a very safe reg cleaner and I
need it to easily clean my system of left over temp files, cookies etc. on
occasion.